Charles Cresson Jones

GPOE,

You can read about Charles Cresson Jones on this web-site. Type his name into the Surname Searchbox on the opening page.
What please makes you think he was a "Card Shark"? and where please did your information about the last known telegram come from? - I read your post as saying it was from C.C. Jones.

Many thanks to Mike Findlay for the photos of Charles Cresson Jones' home and final resting place. My family has long had a home in Manchester Centre, Vermont, roughly fifteen minutes north of Bennington. If I'm not mistaken, the Jones house is one I've driven past countless times on my way up there. It's amazing to discover a Titanic connection right under my nose. I wonder how many times as a Titanic-obsessed kid I sat in the backseat with my mountain of Titanic books, having no idea I was riding past a passenger's home.

Makes me think I should finally get around to hunting up the spots associated with the Isham family, who had a home in Manchester Centre. Ann Isham's father was the first president of the town's most exclusive country club. I've seen photos of the family's house and have the details of it somewhere, but it's the sort of large, rambling white house that's a dime a dozen up there so I'm not sure if I've seen it or not. The home of her father's business partner, Robert Todd Lincoln, is open to the public and its interior and lawns are a venue for concerts and events (such as my sister's wedding reception).

Hi Brian-
I am not sure how often Mike frequents this board, but I will send this message on to him. I know he and Bob Bracken were excited about their trip to the Jones home. I think there will be a further write up in Voyage in the near future. Right now, he and the rest of the trustees are planning our latest TIS convention for 2008. We plan to visit Titanic places of interest.
Mike

Thanks, Mike. On a similar note to my earlier post, I came across a 1914 NY Times article today saying that Leslie St. Claire Cheape was playing polo for Britain's team across the street from my house on Long Island when he got the wireless telling him that his sister, Catherine Cay, was a victim of the Empress of Ireland disaster. I actually moved out of the house two years ago, but was living there when I started a thread on the Empress section of the board seeking info on Catherine.

Hi Brian-
Isn't that something. The of E of I has so many sad connections. Mrs. Stork of 1st class died and her brother in law McMurtry died on the Lusitania. Of course, Fanny Mounsey was the most written about loss as her husband and son-in-law sank with the Lusy and Mrs. Mason of 3rd class also... Her husband sank with the Lusitania.

I have a 1909 travel album from the Empress. It has menus, programs, passenger list, real picture post card, stateroom assignment card, etc... As bonus- two Lusitania 1st class passengers are listed. Dave Zeni did a memorial article for Voyage and used a few of the menus which was nice.

That item sounds like a treasure! It's always fun encountering Titanic/Lusitania/Empress names on other passenger lists. My latest "namespotting" was Lusitania survivor Charles Lauriat sailing into Boston on the Laconia in 1913.

[Moderator's note: Edited link due to width requirements. JDT]

Ah yes, Mr. Lauriat. He was a big traveler on the smaller Cunard ships. I always wondered what he thought of the foundering of the Laconia a few years later.

I enjoy collecting passenger lists. The cover art is always enjoyable and the fact that familiar Lusitania, Titanic, political, theatrical names aboard really makes them fascinating.

Hi Brian,

Thank you for the kind words about the pictures. Several researcher friends and I were in New England earlier this year, and we made it a point to visit Bennington where Mr. Jones lived.

I was interested to learn that you may have passed the former Jones home during your visits to Vermont. It is amazing how many times we all continue to learn something new about the Titanic.

I will be posting more pictures of the Vermont Titanic connections just as soon as I get a little more organized.

Kind regards,

Mike Findlay

Hello Bonne - Below is my obituary on Mr. Jones, I hope you find it of interest?
Cheers

Brian J. Ticehurst

Jones, Mr. Charles Clarence Cresson. Missing. Bennington, Vermont. USA.
Born 22nd January 1866.
Insurance claim number 186. Life: $40,000.
(From The Emergency and Relief booklet by the American Red Cross, 1913).
No. 222. (English). The husband, returning from a business trip abroad was drowned. He had been superintendent of a large farm in Vermont and earned $2,000 a year. His wife partially supports her aged father and mother, and her widowed niece who has a two-year-old child. The husband left $3,000 life insurance and $10,000 accident insurance, but no other property. The appropriation made by this Committee was used for immediate and urgent needs following the disaster, and to provide burial for her husband's body which was recovered. ($500).
Buried in the Old Congregational Church Cemetery, Bennington, Vermont,USA.
The stone is white marble, that has become streaked with black over time. The inscription reads:
Charles Cresson Jones - Died April 15 1912 in the wreck of the SS Titanic. The Road Leads Home.
(From The Dorset County Chronicle, 18th April, 1912).
Mr. C. C. Jones of Vermont, U.S.A., superintendent of the Fillmore Farms, was a first-class passenger, and his name, alas, does not appear in the list of the saved. We publish in this issue an interesting interview which a representative of the Chronicle had with Mr. Jones only on April 9th, just before his departure from Dorchester to join his ship. In the light of this unforeseen calamity, this interview now has a pathetic association, besides its own intrinsic interest. Mr. Jones was must esteemed at the Junction Hotel, where he became very popular. Mr. James Foot, a close personal friend of his, and Mr. G. T. Smith, the proprietor of the Junction, both went up to Southampton with Mr. Jones to see him off, and went aboard the Titanic, by the size and magnificent appointments of which mammoth floating hotel they were much impressed. To both of them the news was a painful shock. Mr. Jones was taking out a lady to fill the post of housekeeper at his home, where he and Mrs. Jones, having no children of their own, had adopted a child. The housekeeper and her little daughter are both reported to be safe aboard the Carpathia. On Tuesday evening Mr. Foot received a cablegram from Mr. Colgate, the owner of the Fillmore Farms, respecting Mr. Jones:- ''No news, Fear worst.''
(From The Dorset County Chronicle 25th April, 1912).
Vote of Condolence. The council passed a vote of condolence with relatives of Mr. C. C. Jones, an American gentleman, a member of the association, (Dorset Horn Sheepbreeders Association) who sailed on the Titanic, after being in the district buying Dorset Horn sheep. The secretary said that Mr. Jones was the manager of the largest Dorset Horn flocks in America.
(See Barkworth A. H. for account).
The first information relative to Charles C. Jones, the superintendent of the J. C. Colgate estate, who lost his life in the Titanic disaster, was published in the New York Sun yesterday in the course of the narrative of A. H. Barkworth, an Englishman who jumped from the doomed steam ship, kept afloat by means of a plank, afterwards climbed into a capsized boat and lived to be rescued by the Carpathia.
(From Evening Banner, Bennington (Vt,) April 26, 1912)
''Coming over I made the acquaintance of two most agreeable chaps said Mr. Barkworth. One was a chap named Jones, who was a sort of farmer, he told me, up in Vermont. I think he had once lived in England for he could imitate the Dorset shepherds to perfection. The other man was A. H. Gee. He was coming over to take a job as manager of a linen mill near Mexico City. I was discussing in the smoking room with them late on Sunday night the science of good road building in which I am keenly interested. I was going down, but somebody said they were going to set back the clock at midnight, and I stayed on as I wanted to set my watch. When the crash came somebody said we had hit an iceberg, but I didn't see it. I went down to my stateroom and got a coat and a life preserver and came back on deck.
Body recovered number 80. Male. Estimated age 45. Hair, light. Clothing:- Evening dress; grey leather-lined overcoat; black boots. Effects:- Silver Watch, with ''C.C.J.''; gold pencil; three gold studs; letters; knife; eyeglasses; American Express Co.; cheque book; $19.00 in bills; pocket book, 13 4½d., and £2.5.3d in purse. First Class. Name C. C. Jones.
Body delivered to Dr. Donelly representing Mrs. Jones at Halifax. Foot, Dorchester. Fillimore Farms, Bennington, Vermont, USA. Permit issued April 30th, 1912.

Hi Brian, Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Thank you for the obituary on Charles Cresson Jones. I am also looking for information on his parents, g-parents, etc. My grandmother had his name in her papers when she was doing research on the Jones family line - she was a Jones by marriage. Alot of my Jones's settled in Steuben County, NY. My grandfather's name was Isaac, his father was Oscar and his father and grandfather were both named Isaac. Confusing when it comes to genealogy. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Bonnie Dunn

Hi Brian, I don't know if I have already replied to your message of Dec 2011. I lost a lot of my information when a scan cleaned out my flash drive. So I am basically starting some of my research over again. I do want to thank you for your reply. I haven't been able to connect him with my side of the Jones family as yet. But I am going to check him out. Thanks again. I do want to ask if you are related to the Jones in any way?

Bonnie

I found this little tid-bit article, thought it was pleasant enough to share from The Sheep Breeder Vol. 32, May 1912.

cc jones.jpg

Back