Helen Newsom and Karl Behr

Apologies in advance if this has already been mentioned on the board but I couldn't find anything. I was idly doing an archive research on Titanic for the New York Times and came up with this:

August 13, 2002, Tuesday

Paid Notice: Deaths
BEHR, KARL HOWELL

BEHR - Karl Howell, 88, died peacefully at home in East Hampton, NY, on August 10 from pneumonia. He was the son of Karl H. Behr and Helen Newsom, miraculous survivors of the Titanic. Born and raised in NYC, Karl graduated from Lawrenceville School in 1933 and Yale University in 1937. In World War II he served in the Navy as a Lt. Commander from 1941 to 1946 in the Pacific. A philanthropic businessman, he found Converters Inc. Company in 1952. A resident of Mountain Lake, Lake Wales, FL, and East Hampton, Karl is survived by four daughters, Susan Travers, Princeton, NJ, Sally Ogden, Greenwich, CT, Helen Sanford, Princeton, NJ, and Elaine King, Dover, MA, as well as ten grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.

Published: 08 - 13 - 2002, Late Edition - Final, Section A, Column 1, Page 17.

Cheers,

Boz

I hate to hear this, I had just received a letter from him several months ago but wasn't aware of his age. Thanks for posting this. Its another link to the Titanic that has left us.

I'm very sorry to here this
sad.gif

Condolences to his family.

Cordially,

Andrew Maheux

Greetings! How wonderful to find a place to be able to share information on such an intriguing subject! I am currently an actor with the TITANIC Exhibit in Tampa and my primary character is Miss Helen Monypenny Newsom. I have read that her son, Karl Behr Jr. resides in Lake Wales and I have been doing research to get in contact with him - I hear he is 90 years old. Anyone know any information on him? I'm wondering if he might have passed away. Or anyone know any interesting facts on the family? I'm very curious! Any help would be fantastic! I thank you all so much!
happy.gif

> Might anyone know as well about a Carrie, Elaine, or Herman Behr whom all apparently live in or did reside in Lake Wales, FL? I found them while doing a search.. I know that Herman was Karl Behr's father... perhaps Karl Behr Jr. named his son after his grandfather

Re: Helen Monypeny Newsom

I found in my collection of post cards a White Star Line boarding pass, 1 st Class for Miss Helen Monypeny Newsom. A picture of the Titanic or Olympic ship is on the front along with the company name ISMAY, IMIRE & Co. London and also White Star Line New York Boston. I do not know when or where I got this card from , it is not a post card. I would like to know more about this pass if I could.

Back