Dickinson H and Helen W Bishop

Rachel -
So I see it WAS you, as I suspected, who delivered that tantalizing tidbit on the "Women Drivers" thread I started a couple of years ago about Helen Bishop ramming a taxi with her electric car in Battle Creek. Then left me puzzling over what the deal was with someone delivering something so interesting and random before disappearing!

Well now I know why (and understand completely) and again I look forward to more such gems on the Bishops.

There seems to be another snag in my book release, there are some people, who I will not name, that say I have slanted my portrayal of Dick in the book, saying I was too harsh and made him into a bad guy, etc.

Having to deal with that now. My lawyer has been working on drafting up something to please them, but they claim I am making him look like a "marry for money and convenience guy".

I only put in the facts that I could prove and backup with documentation.

I thought perhaps this tangential history regarding the Bishops may be of interest to someone.

My husband and I bought our home in Dowagiac, MI in 2008. Some time after moving in, we learned from multiple reliable local historians and previous owners of the home that Dickinson and Helen Bishop were returning from their honeymoon on board the Titanic to take residence in our house. From what I understand, Helen may have been the first passenger into lifeboat #7, the first lifeboat lowered into the sea. Thus, as far as we know, the first passenger off the Titanic ultimately returned from the ordeal to our home.

A current fellow Dowagiac resident owns an original 1912 Dowagiac telephone directory with the listing reflecting Dickinson (and Helen) Bishop's 1912 address and phone number, confirming the address: 203 Main Street.

A good portion of the interior house looks much as it did in 1912, as it went through many years without changes to much of the interior woodwork, and, despite its age (built in ~1890), little remodeling of significance has taken place. An antique lamp mounted to the atrium staircase is thought likely to be original to the era of the Bishops. The kitchen still has a large original Victorian ice chest that can be filled from a back porch. Our four young children enjoy the history associated with the house and are a bit sad we plan to move in the coming year or two.

I took my children to visit Helen's grave on the 100th anniversary of the sinking. As is well-documented, Helen died in 1916, several years after suffering a traumatic brain injury in an automobile accident in 1913. (Ironically, I am a physician specializing in rehabilitation of traumatic brain injury.)

PS: Here is even more detail regarding the location of Helen's grave and our visit:

see Helen Walton Bishop (1892 - 1916) - Find A Grave Memorial

also see Find A Grave Contributor: Sally C. Palmer , which indicates her actual burial plot ("She is in Lot # 14 Block O").

finally see For Dowagiac family, Titanic anniversary hits home: They live in the former residence of couple who survived the tragedy | MLive.com for pictures.

Yes, I'm necro-posting here, but in case anyone still cares... AFAIK they lived in the house Dickinson built for his first wife, Mary Lee Bishop, which is now the site of Borgess-Lee Memorial Hospital (the hospital's street address is 420 High Street.) The mansion became a hospital and was torn down to build the current facility.

Back