Mary Conover Lines

Mary Lines (age 16) and her mother Mrs.Ernest Lines were survivors of the Titanic disaster. They lived in Paris where Mrs. Ernest Lines husband Dr. Ernest Lines represented New York Life Insurance Company as chief medical examiner for Europe. All three of them were booked for Titanic but at the last moment, press of business caused Dr. Lines to remain in Paris, thus saving his life. Later in life, Mary Lines said that two things stuck in her memory about that night. One was the intense cold and the other was the cries of those in the water, which slowly faded as the hours went by. Mary Lines passed away in 1975 at the age of 80. The photo was taken shortly before her death. community-2. webtv net/ScottDar/MaryLines/

Thanks for posting that Darren.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Darren,

Great photo! Where did the information come from that Mr. Lines was meant to sail with them? If this is true, he had to have cancelled his booking either on or before Saturday, April 6, 1912.

Regards,

Daniel.

Hi Daniel,

From what I've been able to determine, Dr. Lines intended to sail with his wife and daughter to attend his son's graduation from Dartmouth College. To my knowledge, Mary Lines never said her father ever booked passage for himself but was apparently toying with the possibility of joining his wife and daughter for the trip. As already mentioned, he was delayed by business and therefore only booked passage for his family.

Mike

Hi!First of all I'm sorry I have not posted for long.It's been a crazy summer so far!I was wondering if anybody can give me any information on Mary Conover Lines.Shewas a 1st class passenger I do belive.Thanks in advance!

Re: Mary Conover Lines
My grandparents worked for Mr. and Mrs. Wellman on their estate in Topsfield in the 1950s-early 60s. My grandfather was the estate manager and my grandmother worked in the house. They lived in a small Cape Cod house across from the Wellman's house. My great-aunt provided nursing care to Mrs. Wellman.

The Wellmans were classic New England Brahmins, old money with no need to be splashy about it. They were decent employers, according to my Italian immigrant family. I remember stories of their generosity and indifference to material things. Mrs. Wellman gave my great-aunt a Tiffany lamp that she no longer liked. Mrs. Wellman, ever practical, gave my parents a Mission desk and a Victorian claw-foot mahogany library table for their wedding. One of the Wellmans had "customized" the antique table by cutting the claw feet in half to make the table shorter. More stories posted on other messages.

We kids knew that Mrs. Wellman had survived the Titanic and that there was an aura of tragedy and mystery around the whole family. Mrs. Wellman had severe headaches and nightmares her whole life. She never talked about her experiences. The quotes from her NY Times obituary may have come from one of the only interviews she gave on the subject, which was published in the Tri-Town Transcript, the local weekly.

She had another tragedy in her life besides the Titanic. Her sister-in-law, Katherine Wellman, who also lived in Topsfield, died in a riding accident. She was an experienced equestrienne and went out for a hack from her neighboring estate. When her horse came back without her a search went out. They found her dead from a broken neck. Mr. Wellman shot the horse.

A funny story about Mrs. Wellman: She and my stubborn, macho Italian grandfather sometimes butted heads. He had "issues" with taking orders from a woman--so what if she was his boss. Following one severe snowstorm, my grandfather told Mrs. Wellman that he couldn't drive her to her charity committee meeting. She insisted, but he flat-out refused. Well. that wouldn't do. Soon my aunt said she saw my grandfather chugging down the driveway on the tractor, with Mrs. Wellman standing behind him holding on, wrapped in a huge fur coat, pocketbook over her arm. You didn't say no to Mrs. Wellman.

Re: Mary Conover Lines
My grandparents worked for Mr. and Mrs. Wellman on their estate in Topsfield in the 1950s-early 60s. My grandfather was the estate manager and my grandmother worked in the house. They lived in a small Cape Cod house across from the Wellman's house. My great-aunt provided nursing care to Mrs. Wellman.

The Wellmans were classic New England Brahmins, old money with no need to be splashy about it. They were decent employers, according to my Italian immigrant family. I remember stories of their generosity and indifference to material things. Mrs. Wellman gave my great-aunt a Tiffany lamp that she no longer liked. Mrs. Wellman, ever practical, gave my parents a Mission desk and a Victorian claw-foot mahogany library table for their wedding. One of the Wellmans had "customized" the antique table by cutting the claw feet in half to make the table shorter. More stories posted on other messages.

We kids knew that Mrs. Wellman had survived the Titanic and that there was an aura of tragedy and mystery around the whole family. Mrs. Wellman had severe headaches and nightmares her whole life. She never talked about her experiences. The quotes from her NY Times obituary may have come from one of the only interviews she gave on the subject, which was published in the Tri-Town Transcript, the local weekly.

She had another tragedy in her life besides the Titanic. Her sister-in-law, Katherine Wellman, who also lived in Topsfield, died in a riding accident. She was an experienced equestrienne and went out for a hack from her neighboring estate. When her horse came back without her a search went out. They found her dead from a broken neck. Mr. Wellman shot the horse.

A funny story about Mrs. Wellman: She and my stubborn, macho Italian grandfather sometimes butted heads. He had "issues" with taking orders from a woman--so what if she was his boss. Following one severe snowstorm, my grandfather told Mrs. Wellman that he couldn't drive her to her charity committee meeting. She insisted, but he flat-out refused. Well. that wouldn't do. Soon my aunt said she saw my grandfather chugging down the driveway on the tractor, with Mrs. Wellman standing behind him holding on, wrapped in a huge fur coat, pocketbook over her arm. You didn't say no to Mrs. Wellman.
WOW, I was amazed to read this story which did somewhat center around one of my childhood men in my life, that also served as a former employee of Mr. and Mrs. Wellman. His name was Jack and apparently well known to the person writing this piece about Mrs. Wellman. He did indeed live on the Wellman property in a small cottage across Topsfield Road from the Wellman's major property. It was part of the Wellman estate with the chicken coupe of about 25 Capone chickens. Jack and his wife, Edith were considered live in employees as the home was part of their salary. I think his wife's name was Edith but I am not sure of that. Edith very rarely worked in the house only when my grandmother had large parties and needed assistance. I can acclaim to most all that is said by writer to be true, with just a few detail that I remember, as I was directly close to both Mrs. Wellman and Mr. Wellman (until his death) with more information as I worked and lived in the main house. I left their employment on August 1960 to marry a U.S. Marine shortly after Mr. Wellman's death.

I have no idea who wrote the above piece so I will call them writer. Well writer did you know that your grandfather whom I called Jack was head gardener, served and was paid as chauffeur for all who lived or visited within the major house. My Grandmother was the live in head housekeeper and I was her assistant from age eight to sixteen. We had a full two bedroom wing above the kitchen and had many duties in the house hold with the main being that all food repaired was done by us along with the running of the major house hold. The Wellman's children and grandchildren came to visit in the summer and the children enjoyed the use of the tennis court and picnics we served them in the summer house which was mostly my job to prepare for the children and to watch over them while on the estate.

The Wellman's had paid gardeners which helped them keep a prominent estate that covered fifty acers. Jack was considered the head gardener and also served the city of Topsfield as a reserve police officer. He planted and harvested most all the vegetables that we used to serve the many guests. I also helped during the vegetable season to pick and preserve the vegetables and can the chicken meats. Jack taught me how to fire a rifle and a hand gun as there was both a rifle range and a hand gun range on the property. The hand gun range was in the cellar of the cottage. The Massachusetts' highway patrol used it to practice there riffle skills and hand gun skills. Also at a very early age I learned to drive the lttle Jeep vehicle and the garden tractor and I remember it all as I felt like a grown up employee and seemed to skip my childhood except that most Saturdays Jack was my chauffeur and took me to see movies in Danvers MA. People in that town and at my school just thought I was a little rich girl and I never told them any different as I always felt like a member of the family.

Mrs. Wellman had me very involved with Brownies and then Girl Scotts as she was a leader in the Nation and the Community. I lived there when a writer of the first movie about the Titanic came to interview Mrs. Wellman. The writer stayed for two weeks and many times asked to be served her meals in her room, like we were running a hotel just for her. When she left Mrs. Wellman shut herself in her room and had all her meals served at her door. I was to deliver her meals and make sure they were taken into her room before I could return to other duties. I was told that she may need for the doctor to come and prescribe medicine for her depression. She never spoke to us about her Titanic trip and speaking to the writer of the movie took a lot out of her. When Mrs. Wellman received two tickets in the mail for the premiere of the movie she tore them up in front of us in the kitchen. I was so upset as I wished she would have given them to us not thinking they had her name on them. She called the senders of the tickets as heartless people who just did not understand what she had gone through. My grandmother consoled her by saying that no one could have ever understood such an endeavor as you have gone through. Mrs. Wellman went back to her room for more weeks but when she came out she was very cheerful and shouted "Ladies get ready we are going shopping." This ended her sadness for sometime then. It was always nice to be able to shop without a budget.

During the summer the Wellman's spent many months in England on business trips, to a college preparatory school in England, that they had an interest. Mr. Wellman was a prominent lawyer in Boston and I often, when I was older, went to Boston with him to help out in his office. He also loved having old cars and was a bee keeper. I many times enjoyed helping him spin the honey from the bees wax, that I got to chew. One other employee lived above one of the many garages and it was his job to walk the two dogs Flora and Pomona, in the evening and place them in the kennels for the night. This employee I forget his name but he also did gardening and took care of all the cars.

My plans were to become a lawyer like Mr. Wellman but I only ended up being a Police Office for 31 years in Florida. I hope this reply helps the writer know a bit more about their grandfather. I can be found on Face Book as Judith Ann Knott I live in Florida and am 78 Years young.

Back