Mrs Daniel Warner Marvin (Mary Graham Carmichael Farquarson)

This is interesting...I hadn't realised that Daniel and Mary Marvin were married in a civil ceremony, some weeks prior to their well-known nuptials in front of the movie cameras:

(Scroll to the bottom half of the column to find the paragraph relating to the Marvins).

This thread has me feeling guilty, because the Marvins are some of the passengers about whom I've dug up a bunch of info that I've been sitting on for a long time. Not because I wouldn't love to share it, but because I just haven't got round to typing it up (and I've barely been on ET at all this summer).

I may have deprived myself of the opportunity to spill the beans about the crazy kids' secret elopement, but I can enlighten you somewhat about the Farquharson finances. I'm not sure what Frank did, but his wife was a successful businesswoman in her own right. In 1907, she and her sister, Margaret Graham (Mrs William Addison) Wheelock, established the dressmaking business of Farquharson & Wheelock. They must have done quite well. The firm purchased a property at 724 Fifth Avenue in 1911, and in 1920 enlarged the premises by purchasing the Louis P. Hoyt mansion next door for roughly $600,000. The NY Times called this "the highest price ever paid for an inside lot on Fifth Avenue north of Forty-second Street". Shortly afterwards, it was reported that the firm would build a twelve-story building at the site. The Brown, Wheelock Company, Inc was going to be the building's agent, so it was evidently a family affair. In 1928, Jessie Farquharson purchased a duplex apartment at 960 Fifth Avenue, formerly the site of the Clark mansion. The apartment had fourteen rooms, five baths, eleven-foot ceilings, and a private entrance at East 77th Street. She might not have bought it for herself; this was Mary and Horace de Camp's address in the 1941 New York Social Register, while Jessie's 1952 obituary gave her address as 30 West 58th Street. Margaret Wheelock had died eleven days before her sister. Her obituary claimed that she had entered the dressmaking business at the age of 16, when she went to work as a buyer for a London department store.

Riverside Drive was and still is an area of very pricey real estate. And being on Manhattan's West Side, it was and still is an area traditionally favored more by newer moneyed New Yorkers than by the Astor crowd. Last year, I made a list for my own benefit of which New York passengers lived on the West Side as opposed to the East Side:

UPPER WEST SIDE:
Beckwith (“The Wendolyn”, 100th St and Riverside, but I believe they were soon to defect to the East Side)
Taussig (777 West End Av), Mandelbaum (200 W 86th St)
Seward (542 West 112th Street)
Straus (West 105th Street, Broadway and West End Avenue)
Rothschild (753 West End Avenue)
Harry Anderson
Harris (Central Park West)
Margaret Hays (304 W 83rd St)
Farquarson (317 Riverside Drive), Marvin (Riverside Drive)
George Rosenshine’s brother ('Ansonia Hotel', probably the Ansonia Apts)
Meyer (158 West Eighty-sixth Street, though Leila was living at 970 Park Ave by 1915)

EAST SIDE:
Astor (840 Fifth Avenue), Force (18 East 37th St)
Cumings (50 E. 64th St)
Greenfield (1239 Madison Avenue)
Karl Behr (777 Madison Avenue)

I would have expected Margaret Hays and Frederick K. Seward to live on the East Side, but the rules aren't set in stone. Plenty of Social Registered New Yorkers, including Daniel Marvin's parents, lived on the West Side (Mary's parents weren't listed; Mary was listed after her second marriage).

Welcome back, Brian! You've been sorely missed. I hope you've passed a pleasant summer?

Your insight into the state of the Farquharson finances is much appreciated. Coincidentally, I recently learned that Mary's mother was in the fashion business. This nugget of information, wholly new to me, was contained within an unpublished survivor account which I've been granted access to and which I hope to be allowed to share here in full some day (I assure you, it is quite marvellous). Initially, I wondered if there was some confusion with Lady Duff Gordon's Lucile enterprise - so it is fascinating to hear that the survivor in question was, in fact, quite correct when she called Jessie Farquharson a 'top, top dressmaker'.

One thing seems certain - her daughter was not in good financial shape at the time of her death. I recall reading on another thread that Mary left very considerable debts behind her which, once settled, cleared out her estate almost entirely.

If you have not already done so, check out the J. Clinch Smith biographical thread which I started last month. You might care to add to what Carole Lindsay and I have already contributed there.

With warm good wishes

Martin

PS. Any news of Walter and Virginia Clark?

A Farquharson and Wheelock design from the early Twenties - a gorgeous wedding frock. Evidently, Mary Marvin's mother was at the top of her game as a fashionable American dressmaker. Perhaps she was responsible for her daughter's trousseau?

Hi Martin - my summer was great. I spent much of it in Vermont, driving a couple of times past the house of Charles Cresson Jones in Bennington and probably past that of the Isham family in Manchester Centre (there are many large white houses on that road, none of which I recognize from the contemporary photo I've seen of the Isham house). I hope you made it out to the Cotswolds?

The state of Mary's finances at the time of her death made an impression on me as well. If I recall correctly, she left behind an estate worth roughly $35,000 and liabilities in the neighborhood of $31,000. I like to think there was some nice big family trust that provided her with a comfortable income but wouldn't have been counted among her personal assets. I'm not clear on when she and Horace de Camp gave up the high life in Manhattan for life in Thendara, New York, a place I had never heard of until I read of Mary living there. I wonder if the move coincided with some financial reversal? They did buy the house of a former president when they moved there (I forget which one). This was apparently a place of some grandeur, but I imagine it wasn't worth nearly as much as 960 Fifth Avenue.

The Clarks - I'm sorry, Martin, I just don't want to risk making another empty promise. Here's what I'll do - I'll open up the file I have of them on my desktop so that it will be staring at me this weekend and making me feel guilty.

Wow! Those designs are impressive, especially the coat (the listing claims the fur on the coat is 'fresh', but the idea of handling 85-year-old fur - bleh!). It seems the firm was keeping abreast of styles and going strong in the twenties. So again, where did the money go?

Had to remove the link to the coat, I'm afraid - it was too long for the page. But even the most cursory Google will reveal it, in all its Jazz Age splendour. I hope Inger Sheil is around to catch it!

Glad to hear that you've had a good summer, Brian. Work commitments kept me in London for most of August but I managed weekends away in Wiltshire, Rutland, Sussex and Wales. I'm heading far, far north - to the remotest Highlands - early next month, so that'll give me a bit of breathing space!

Take your time with the Clarks. I'm sure whatever you share will be well worth the wait.

Further references to the firm of Farquharson and Wheelock (as well as Lucile) appear in the article below:

http://www.erikakawalek.com/frocks.html

The evening dress in question, a sumptuous raspberry and gold number from 1910, once belonged to Walter Miller Clark's first cousin, Margaret Daly Brown. It was purchased at auction by the famous fashionista, Hamish Bowles, who obviously knows a good thing when he sees it. Photographs and full catalogue details are available on the Doyle website - if you can be bothered to trawl all the way back to 2004.

I am interested in finding the descendants of Daniel Warner Marvin and his wife Mary Graham Carmichael Farquharson Marvin DeCamp. I would like to add this info to my Marvin genealogy database. Daniel's ancestry can be viewed at my site: www.leeric.net
Shannon Blanks and Mr DeCamps email address are no longer any good.
I have gleaned what I can from these posts, but would like more complete info.

Best regards, LeEric Marvin
Your post is quite old, but I am the grandaughter of Lawerence Marvin Ryan, and 3rd cousin to Daniel Marvin. If you go to Ancestry.com, I am cliffhouse49 on that site. It will send you to my tree, which is full of Marvins! How are you related to Daniel and Mary? Best, Beth

Back