Anna Ward

Is Mrs. Cardeza's maid Anna Ward or Annie Ward because I have seen her mentioned as both and several pages. This is from her bio on ET and as you can see both names are used:

ANNA Ward

Miss ANNA Ward, 35, was born 1 August 1876. She came to America from Scotland with her mother, brother and sister. They lived in Chestnut Hill, Philadelphia, PA. She worked as personal maid and companion to Mrs Charlotte Cardeza. They boarded the Titanic at Cherbourg.

After the collision and crew were starting to load boats ANNA was in her nightgown. She put a fur coat on top of her gown and then took some things that were on a table or nightstand or maybe both. She placed these things in the pockets of her fur coat. When she offered the things that she had taken, to Mrs Cardeza, Mrs Cardeza said that ANNA could keep them.

ANNA was rescued in lifeboat 3.

ANNA continued working for Mrs Cardeza until Mrs Cardeza'a death in 1939. In the 1930s other members of her family also worked for her. Family members recall ANNIE as being a bit eccentric but also a very interesting woman. When ANNA died, in the 1950s, she left some jewelry and salt and pepper shakers from the Titanic to her family.

And she is referred to as Annie in the first class passenger list on ET. So I was just wondering if it is Annie and not Anna as I always thought it was?
Thank-you

that is weird, but I'm sorry I can't help, but I think Annie was probally just a nickname.

Karrie
happy.gif

It just used her familiar name Annie. Sort of like someone named Ben might be called Benny. Her middle name was Moore and she later married Bill Moynahan after Titanic.

The passenger lists have always been notoriously wrong on many names. The list you find here on ET is probably the best and most correct one in existence thanks to the input of many researchers in many countries-- but there are still many, many errors even in it, especially in crew names. Another example--all the original lists showed a second class passenger named Lutie Davis Parrish. For years everyone assumed that that was really her name and that Davis was a maiden name. But no one could ever find them on any censuses or in other records that would verify the names. When she was finally tracked down and we "got the goods" on her, it turned out that her name was Lucinda Davis Temple Parrish. Davis had been a middle name and Lutie was just a nickname. To further confuse things, in later years she stopped using the nickname Lutie and started using the nickname "Lucy." There are many other such instances of errors in the first, middle and surnames.

Back