Is there any record of where the Titanic was supposed to go after New York? Or any record of which ships those passengers who were to embark on the Titanic in New York did eventually go on? My grandparents were to board the Titanic in New York and I am trying to find out which ship they eventually did go on. They were on their way to Argentina.

In some of the Titanic books, there is a copy of the ad for the return trip (which never took place). I don't have the picture of the ad in front of me, but the Titanic, I believe, was supposed to sail from New York on Saturday, April 20th.

As John says, Titanic was due to sail on 20 April. The return was made by going first to Plymouth and then to Southampton. I believe the mail and passengers in a hurry to reach London disembarked at Plymouth and rushed on to London by train.

Her next voyage would have left Southampton on 1 May, following the course of her maiden voyage. If only!

Jeannette,

In another thread I thought you had found your grandparents return from Argentina. Is it possible that they returned on the same ship that they departed from NY on; or at least a ship belonging to the same Shipping Line? - What ship did they return on and what were their names?

As advised above Titanic was a trans-Atlanitc liner.
For 1912 she was due to sail from NY on Saturdays: 20 April, 11 May, 1 June, 22 June, 13 July, 3 August, 24 August, 14 Sept, 5 Oct, 26 Oct, 16 Nov, 7 Dec, 28 Dec.
She was due to sail from Southampton on Wednesdays: 1 May, 22 May, 12 June, 3 July, 24 July, 14 Aug, 4 Sept, 25 Sept, 16 Oct, 6 Nov, 27 Nov, 18 Dec.

Thank you all for your postings! My grandmother had told my Aunt that they did go to Southampton from New York, and then from there to Argentina. I must have been a very long trip! I couldn't find any info on ships leaving Southampton.

My grandparents (Ewaniuk) returned from Argentina on Oct 29 on the ship Titian (Lamport & Holt Line). My great grandparents must have returned earlier or later because they were not on the same ship but I haven't found any records for them (Oleniuk). Any other leads would be great. I'll keep looking. Thanks.

Jeannette,

I tried to locate the entry for your gandparents, but Ewaniuk was rejected by the Ellis Island Records. Guess it is mis-spelt in the Records. - Where did the Titian - [so close in name to Titanic!]- begin its voyage?

"I must have been a very long trip! I couldn't find any info on ships leaving Southampton."

I haven't done a search but most liner sailings to Rio de La Plata tended to depart from London (Royal Mail, Houlder Brothers, Blue Star) or Liverpool (Lamport & Holt). I don't know of any that worked out of Southampton in 1912 - or indeed later.

Noel

Lester - the name is actually spelled Eveniuk on the listing. As far as I can see the Titian started in Santos, to Rio de Janerio, to Barbados, then to New York.

Noel - I've done a quick search on ships leaving Liverpool and London but found nothing. I'll keep looking. Thanks!

I don't know if it's significant in this case but Lamport & Holt's run went further south to Comodoro Rivadavia, Pto.Madryn (for the Welsh emigre traffic) and Bahia Blanca etc.

Titian is in line with their naming practice; artists and literary types etc.

Noel

Hey guys,

Do we have any idea how many passengers booked passage on the crossing scheduled from New York due to leave on April 20th. Is there anything resembling a passenger list for the voyage that never happened? I imagine that there most have been some notable people booked on that crossing- Spring and Summer in Europe and a crossing on the biggest and best available- I'm sure those with the funds couldn't have resisted...

Thanks,

~Matt

As far as I know, there is no extant record of the names or the numbers of people who booked passage for the Titanic's return trip. Since the voyage never happened, there was no reason to retain such records.

Interesting question though. You'd think that if anyone had already picked up their tickets that they would have saved them as a momento of a voyage that never happened.

I've always been a little surprised that this wasn't the subject of a filler article or two back in 1912, since it seems like every other aspect of the Titanic was covered exhaustively. I've seen several letters to passengers of the destined-never-to-happen follow up voyages of the Andrea Doria, and at least one from the Morro Castle, but wonder how many "we regret to announce....let us help you seek alternate transport" letters from WSL to Titanic return ticket holders still exist in collector's hands.

Back