You have done such a amazing job!
gatsby.gif

Hi this is my first post here and as the last post on this subject was some time ago so hope you all see it. Steve love what you have being doing with the 3D it is really cool and the time it must have taken is quite a commitment i take my hat off to you my friend. I am trying to build a 5% scale model of this engine that will run on steam, already have 3800 hours into this build and i am generating more questions than i have answers to. I am working off the French/metric drawing which is really bad quality but did not realise there was a English dimension version which has more detail and better quality where can i get a copy Help, Help, Help? Please.
Sec you posted a picture of the end/side view of the engine which was really good quality where can i get a copy? This picture has helped me the oil feed pipe connected to the bottom of the cross head had to be able to change length and in your picture you can see the telescopic section clearly however its position below the cross head probably means it was not oil for the cross head but was piped down the connecting rod to the big end bearing and the cross head was supplied from somewhere else? anybody got any ideas ?
Does anybody know where the oil supply was attached to the cross head slide plates? there appears to be a hole at the top of the machined oil grooves but where was the pipe connected to it? picture attached.
Does anybody know where the cooling water connects to the cross head slide plates? the only possible connection point i have found is what looks like a round bolt flange at the bottom of the slide plate (picture attached) however this is where Steve has the lifting beam attached and after looking at hidden detail drawing i am inclined to agree. So where are the water connections?

Steve once again terrific job with the 3D thanks for posting and sorry if this is not really posted in the right place.

Griffonv12, that is some excellent engineering. I like how you've used welded frames to (I'm assuming) to get around the problem of having to cast parts. Either way that's some great work.

Lord knows just how much I would love to get a hold of those plans for Britannic's engines. I desire them immensely — the only other available plans for them are the ones sourced from a French publication and are therefore in metric, introducing unacceptable rounding errors in the dimensions undoubtedly originally crafted in inches and feet. When it comes to accuracy for a Belfast-built ship, it's British units only!

As it appears @codad1946 and @Stevefury have not been sighted for months, has anybody else on this thread the pdf of the plans, that I may request them as well?
For some reason I stopped getting the weekly Titanica stuff, this being the first one for ages. I don't have the engine plans, just a document on the Britannic which is quite informative in some areas. As the Olympic lasted for over 24 years, I am amazed that no one took any photos either in the enginerooms or the boiler rooms! I got some engineroom plans with the auxiliaries noted (the Bruce Beveridge ones are good, but don't label the pumps and auxiliaries in the engineroom) from another Titanica guy, Tom (forgotten surname, but can look it up). I would love to get piping schematics, but they didn't exist in those days. I realised this when I thought back to my early days at sea in the late 60s where us engineer cadets crawled under the plates with our notebooks and traced the lines (wish I'd kept them!). Once the Japanese and later the Koreans started shipbuilding, they produced schematics for all the marine systems in booklet form, with two copies each for the owner and the ship. In Olympic's time, the only drawings were the ones made of the piping layouts, but I've never seen any, though they were available on those earlier ships I mention above. Almost unreadable owing to pipes on top of pipes, and around the size of a bedsheet!
If there's anything I can help with, I will, though as a marine engineer by trade I am no model builder! Wish I could do it, or the 3D that Steve does, which is remarkable to say the least. Let me know if you want the Britannic book and I'll send a copy via email or FB messenger?
I wouldn't mind a copy of the French plans, metric or no...

Hi this is my first post here and as the last post on this subject was some time ago so hope you all see it. Steve love what you have being doing with the 3D it is really cool and the time it must have taken is quite a commitment i take my hat off to you my friend. I am trying to build a 5% scale model of this engine that will run on steam, already have 3800 hours into this build and i am generating more questions than i have answers to. I am working off the French/metric drawing which is really bad quality but did not realise there was a English dimension version which has more detail and better quality where can i get a copy Help, Help, Help? Please.
Sec you posted a picture of the end/side view of the engine which was really good quality where can i get a copy? This picture has helped me the oil feed pipe connected to the bottom of the cross head had to be able to change length and in your picture you can see the telescopic section clearly however its position below the cross head probably means it was not oil for the cross head but was piped down the connecting rod to the big end bearing and the cross head was supplied from somewhere else? anybody got any ideas ?
Does anybody know where the oil supply was attached to the cross head slide plates? there appears to be a hole at the top of the machined oil grooves but where was the pipe connected to it? picture attached.
Does anybody know where the cooling water connects to the cross head slide plates? the only possible connection point i have found is what looks like a round bolt flange at the bottom of the slide plate (picture attached) however this is where Steve has the lifting beam attached and after looking at hidden detail drawing i am inclined to agree. So where are the water connections?
View attachment 44525View attachment 44526View attachment 44527
View attachment 44528

Steve once again terrific job with the 3D thanks for posting and sorry if this is not really posted in the right place.

Looks great griffonv12. When people slap 'Titanic steam engine' on a youtube video of a two cylinder model engine running it's great to see someone actually doing a proper accurate scale model.

Can't help with your questions sorry, I didn't even realise the crosshead guides were watercooled until reading your post.

Best of luck with the build, and please share a video when you have it in steam! :)

For some reason I stopped getting the weekly Titanica stuff, this being the first one for ages. I don't have the engine plans, just a document on the Britannic which is quite informative in some areas. As the Olympic lasted for over 24 years, I am amazed that no one took any photos either in the enginerooms or the boiler rooms! I got some engineroom plans with the auxiliaries noted (the Bruce Beveridge ones are good, but don't label the pumps and auxiliaries in the engineroom) from another Titanica guy, Tom (forgotten surname, but can look it up). I would love to get piping schematics, but they didn't exist in those days. I realised this when I thought back to my early days at sea in the late 60s where us engineer cadets crawled under the plates with our notebooks and traced the lines (wish I'd kept them!). Once the Japanese and later the Koreans started shipbuilding, they produced schematics for all the marine systems in booklet form, with two copies each for the owner and the ship. In Olympic's time, the only drawings were the ones made of the piping layouts, but I've never seen any, though they were available on those earlier ships I mention above. Almost unreadable owing to pipes on top of pipes, and around the size of a bedsheet!
If there's anything I can help with, I will, though as a marine engineer by trade I am no model builder! Wish I could do it, or the 3D that Steve does, which is remarkable to say the least. Let me know if you want the Britannic book and I'll send a copy via email or FB messenger?
I wouldn't mind a copy of the French plans, metric or no...
Hi thanks for you post i would love anything you have that you could send me ([email protected]) it would be much appreciated. I can send the metric plans if you drop me you e-mail. I use a free program called SketchUp 2017 you can download it from the web, it is a 3D program which i have imported the flat 2D image into end / side elevation and scaled them to size so you can zoom in and measure parts not ideal but when you have nothing else, will send this file as well. I am a old coal power-station engineer where every valve, pipe, pump and plant item was ID and had a full system schematic so finding the lack of info strange.
Thanks
Brian

Griffonv12, that is some excellent engineering. I like how you've used welded frames to (I'm assuming) to get around the problem of having to cast parts. Either way that's some great work.
Thanks for you encouraging comments and yes all fabricated mainly due to casting required a minimum thickness around the flanges and strengthening ribs also radius in all the corners which would not be to scale. Will sandblast it all before painting to blend out all the fabrication marks. Just hope i live long enough to complete it?
Thanks
Brian

Lord knows just how much I would love to get a hold of those plans for Britannic's engines. I desire them immensely — the only other available plans for them are the ones sourced from a French publication and are therefore in metric, introducing unacceptable rounding errors in the dimensions undoubtedly originally crafted in inches and feet. When it comes to accuracy for a Belfast-built ship, it's British units only!

As it appears @codad1946 and @Stevefury have not been sighted for months, has anybody else on this thread the pdf of the plans, that I may request them as well?
For some reason I fell off the weekly review email. Tried to get back on but kept getting errors. Had a go today, and success. I don't have plans of Britannic, just a pdf from someone else in the Olympic class fraternity if that's any use? I'll try attaching it as a file with this post if I can find it, though it may be on another computer I don't currently have access to.

Hi thanks for you post i would love anything you have that you could send me ([email protected]) it would be much appreciated. I can send the metric plans if you drop me you e-mail. I use a free program called SketchUp 2017 you can download it from the web, it is a 3D program which i have imported the flat 2D image into end / side elevation and scaled them to size so you can zoom in and measure parts not ideal but when you have nothing else, will send this file as well. I am a old coal power-station engineer where every valve, pipe, pump and plant item was ID and had a full system schematic so finding the lack of info strange.
Thanks
Brian
Hi - managed to get back on the site! My email is [email protected]
I'm trying to find the Britannic document but not having much joy at the moment...

View attachment 44528

Don't know if it will help, but most crosshead guides on steam recip had a trough of oil at the bottom which the bottom of the crosshead shoe dipped into then spread over the guide on its way back up. I have a video from a friend that shows it which I have somewhere, and the ship is actually still around, HMAS Diamantina, now a museum ship in Australia, so maybe some info can be obtained by writing to them? It's not Olympic but it's the same or similar way of doing things. The oil used was vegetable and just ran down into the "sump" (in inverted commas because it wasn't really a sump as we know it today) an thence into the bilges where it was pumped overboard (no MARPOL in those days of course) on a total loss system. Pipes on the connecting rod itself were for lubricating the bottom end (crankpin) bearings, fed from an oil tray at the top which was filled by hand. Other cups over the engine were fed with oil squirted into them as the engine was running - quite a skilled job to hit it every time.

Hi - managed to get back on the site! My email is [email protected]
I'm trying to find the Britannic document but not having much joy at the moment...
Realised after so long that i did find it and post it to Aaron some time ago. It's too big for this portal, so if anyone still wants it, let me know your emaili address and I'll send it. Unless a moderator can tell me how to upload it to the site as a library document?

View attachment 44528

You have skills. Looking really good.

Which ship is this? The bloke in black on the ladder seems to have spare running through him . Bit eery.
Thanks very much for the photo.
Having the workers shown in the photo shows you a better idea of how huge these things were.
If I blow up and enlarge " the bloke in black on the ladder " he seems to be transparent..... you
see right through him.
A ghost ???
The ghost of Thomas Andrews ????
It is MOST eerie !!!l

Last edited:
Back