The Thayers' Train Home

Kas01

I wasn't entirely sure where to put this, but did the Thayers' train to Philadelphia depart from the Pennsylvania Railroad's terminal at Exchange Place in Jersey City, or did it depart from Penn Station in New York? Additionally, did the train actually terminate in Haverford or did it terminate at Broad Street, with the Thayers then taking a regular train to Haverford?

Historical maps do not suggest that there was a yard at Haverford, although the car may have been stored at the Paoli coach yard. Additionally, Jersey City seems strange insofar as the Exchange Place terminal remained a busy commuter terminal until service was ended in late 1961.

According to The New York Times of 19 April 1912, the Thayers were met at the pier and driven to Pennsylvania Station, where they boarded their special train, which left at 10:19 p.m., and according to The Sun (New York) of the same date, the special train arrived at the Haverford Station at 12:30 a.m.

What makes you say Jersey City seems strange? It was, as you note, still in active service by PRR for many years after 1912.

Note: This thread was originally in the Boat Train topic and was moved here before I posted this message,

Thanks, Mark. The reason I thought Jersey City was strange was because the Pennsy moved their intercity operations to Manhattan as soon as their side of the station was opened; if I remember correctly Exchange Place was relatively small for a major terminal. I have no idea why the articles for Jack and Marian Thayer both indicate that the train departed from Exchange Place.

Interestingly enough Mark, I may have found a few candidates for the private car used by the Thayers. According to Jerry Britton's Keystone Crossings File Archive, the most commonly-used business car on the Pennsy was the Z74 class. 6 of these cars were converted from the S70 class, 3 of which were delivered prior to 1912.

1) PRR 7505 (first number unknown). Delivered April 1911, named Maryland and assigned to the General Manager, Eastern Region as of 1929, based out of Philadelphia. Car known to survive at least until 2003, renamed Martin W. Clement and under restoration in San Antonio.

2) PRR 7506, formerly 7503, neé 37. Delivered 1911, named Duquesne and assigned to the General Manager as of 1929, based out of Pittsburgh. Renamed Harrisburg in 1941, Cape Charles in 1950, back to Harrisburg in 1952, renumbered to 7506 and renamed Illinois in 1957. Car known to survive until at least 2003 in Cleveland.

3) PRR 7508, formerly 120 (#4). Delivered 1909, assigned to Vice President-Traffic (I believe this is an error, the Pennsy still was using numerical vice presidents in 1912). As of 1919, assigned to the General Manager, not known where it was based out of. Renumbered to 7508 when 120 (#5) was delivered in 1928, named Chicagoan in 1929. Renamed Washington in 1948, Buffalo in 1956. Car known to survive until at least the early 1990s in Rio Grande, New Jersey.

As an aside, PRR 120 (#5) Pennsylvania is the car currently owned by Bennett Levin, operating out of the outskirts of Philadelphia.

Source: Z74 Series Business Car Information for Modelers

Back