Jack Phillips news stories

I ran across two excellent news stories (videos) about telegraphist Jack Phillips.

This one from ITV: Jack Phillips' part on the Titanic | ITV News
and this one from BBC News: BBC News - Jack Phillips: Boy from Godalming became Titanic hero

The latter includes an interview with Phillips researcher John Young as well as footage of the 1914 opening of the Phillips Memorial in Godalming. There are also some new (to me) facts in the BBC article, including this one: "before the doomed vessel sailed, he told a friend he would have preferred to be aboard a smaller ship - for Jack had a dread of icebergs." Does anyone know where this information came from?

I missed the 2nd link. Thanks for this, I really enjoyed it. That quote you mentioned, I'm curious to. I wonder if someone could tell me what year the photograph is during the 0.06-0.10 part of the video?

I wondered about that photo also. The young man the camera focused on looks like it could be Jack Phillips, but the group of men in the picture look like they're wearing some sort of military uniforms - not Marconi uniforms. Mr. Marconi is mentioned in the voice-over while the photo is shown, so maybe it's really a picture of him?

Back