Jack Phillips Postcards

Nope Michael I said this is what was said on Titanica about these types of cards. I never said it was from me. I said it was from here. Yes maybe I should not have done it and asked.

>>Suport over this issue<<

Oh dear - how silly.What a silly issue to have in life. You sound like you just lost someone...

Get over this please.

I don't even know why I used it as its hardly a great piece of literature, nor well written. It's just a bit of information from this silly board. No need to make such a big thing out of it and get your nickers more twisted.

Any more comments along those may be subject to moderating action, Miles.

Mandy is quite right to point out an issue of copyright violation - the fact that you can't see it as a problem indicates that you don't know enough about intellectual property theft. Unfortunately, this behaviour is all too common, and not just on the internet. I've had entire pages of my material reproduced without any form of acknowledgement, and large portions of my research and material have appeared in print articles as well as online without the person appropriating it using proper referencing. Utilising a post on ET without correct attribution is the thin edge of that wedge.

You're an intelligent young man with a passion for this subject, and I really think you're a decent one. Rather than rubbing salt into the wound by having a go at their literary capabilities, telling people they're 'silly' or getting their 'nickers more twisted', why not just take the lesson and move on? We'd all have more respect for someone who simply acknowledged an error rather than someone who tried to bluff their way out of it by making snide remarks about other individuals who are quite right to take the stand that they have.

Seconding what Inger said about copyright and Miles, you may want to check out the following websites on the matter of copyright law. Whether you consider this an "issue" or not, it's an issue which can land you in some really hot water if you're on the wrong side of it.

http://www.benedict.com/
http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/ch5.html
http://fairuse.stanford.edu/

I'll add the caveat that these sites cover mostly U.S. law, and you should check with your own attorney so you know which ones apply where you live as well as any agreements your country is a party to. This faux pas was a minor embarrassment and as lessons go, a cheap one. The chap who decides to *not* be so forgiving and who presses a civil lawsuit can make it a very expensive one.

'Nuff said.

Thanks Inger and Michael. I think it's probably time to close off this thread so that we can all move on. I agree with Michael that this was a minor faux pas, and with Darrin who said that Miles did not mean any harm by his actions. This was a mistake caused by inexperience. However, as I said before, I am not going to discuss his subsequent comments.

Having said that this thread should end, I think that we start a fresh one on the subject of the Phillips cards. I, for one, am fascinated by Nicole's catalogue project and Don's Woking card and would love to hear how their research progresses.Jack was a prolific writer and, as Nicole says, we can learn so much more about him by tracking down these cards.

As Senan mentioned, there are some Phillips cards coming up for auction at the British Titanic Society Convention next week. Others may turn up at the Sales Tables. Perhaps we can start a new thread after the Convention, reporting back about anything we find out for Nicole and Don. Are you joining us at the Hilton this year, Inger?

Let's put the controversy behind us and get back to the Titanic research that brought us all together in the first place.
All the best
Mandy.

Hi all!
Just a quick FYI to let you know how the cataloguing has been going. In a bizarre twist, I discovered that a man who has worked with my husband for several years is also a Titanic Enthusiast and has connections to a shop that periodically gets merchandise such as Titanic-related postcards. He was surprised to discover there were so many Phillips cards. I am getting the impression--and I may be wrong--that many of the people who collect these cards in bulk are very much surprised that I am aware there are over 300. That may not be true, but it seems people--even some who own cards--seem to be surprised by the general number.

I've had an article published about my efforts by the Belfast Titanic Society. Hopefully, that will help increase my leads. However, I do not think the bulk of cards have been made available for auction. Many of the same cards tend to keep showing up. I do appreciate any information that comes my way, and I'm keeping meticulous notes so the proper people will not be forgotten.

Again, thank you so much to Senan for all of the information sent.

Best Wishes,
Niki

Great to hear that this project is progressing so well, Nichole! I'm sure that as the word gets out about the collation you're working on, more information will come in. It's an important project to undertake and a tremendous idea.

Mandy, I wish I could be at the BTS. Unfortunately, events at work have overtaken my plans - we have a huge new exhibition officially opening on the 6th and then opening to the public on the 7th, and the following week the 'Endeavour' replica returns to Oz and the Museum. All very exciting, but it means I'll be Sydney-bound for most of April.

I know you'll all have a great time - I'm sorry to be missing some old mates and folks I was hoping to meet for the first time in person, but there's always next year
smile.gif

Hi Nicole,
It seems surprising but there were definitely over 300 cards in Elsie's album. The man who meticulously counted them before the original sale told me that! It doesn't seem so many when you think that it works out a roughly one card for every week of Jack's career with Marconi. There are others out there, not addressed to Elsie or Ethel. Jack is known to have sent cards to schoolfriends and ofcourse girlfriends......

Just heading off for Southampton (and Godalming). Sorry you can't make it, Inger and Trevor. Should be a good one. Although we avoided another fire alarm last year, I kind of missed the 'Lifeboat Party' in the carpark at Midnight!
All the best
Mandy.

Nicole, the following Jack Phillips postcards will be auctioned by Henry Aldridge & Co. this month (29th APril sale):

Lot 366 R.M.S."TITANIC" MARCONI OPERATOR JACK PHILLIPS: SIGNED POSTCARD KYLEMORE PASS CO. GALWAY MAY 14th 1909 TO ELSIE.

Lot 367 R.M.S."TITANIC" MARCONI OPERATOR JACK PHILLIPS: SIGNED POSTCARD PORTLAND JAN 8th 1907 TO ELSIE.

Lot 368 R.M.S."TITANIC" MARCONI OPERATOR JACK PHILLIPS: SIGNED POSTCARD QUEBEC OCT. 4th 1906 TO ELSIE.

Lot 369 R.M.S. "TITANIC" MARCONI OPERATOR JACK PHILLIPS: SIGNED POSTCARD CLIFDEN CO. GALWAY MAY 4th 1906 TO ELSIE.

Lot 370 R.M.S."TITANIC" MARCONI OPERATOR JACK PHILLIPS: SIGNED POSTCARD QUEBEC INDISTINCT POSTMARK 1906 TO ELSIE.

As a relatively new member of ET, I have missed many of the interesting discussions of past years. I've been reading the posts from around 2005-6 regarding efforts to catalogue postcards from Jack Phillips' sister's album (the collection that was broken up). Has anyone been successful in their efforts?

I've been casually looking at eBay and other auction sites, but I haven't found any cards listed for sale recently. It's really a shame that the Godalming Museum was not able to acquire the entire album. Does anyone know whether the Museum has any postcards in its collection?

I had the opportunity to view two postcards at the "Titanic: Fortune and Fate" exhibition ten years ago. They were listed as owned by Stanley Lehrer and Kenneth Schultz, respectively.

[Moderator's Note: This message, originally a separate thread, has been moved to the thread to which it refers. MAB]

Pleased to have news of this card after so long. Special thanks to Mandy for leading me to research it further. The card was taken to Woking Post Office and sent by train on the direct route from that station to Newton Abbot. The interior of the Post Office telegraph office was assumed to be at Woking, as a postcard dealer had pencilled 'Woking Post Office' in the 1990s to interest local history buffs. It was also believed that the sender of the card (most probably the person who took the photograph and had it processed) was someone called 'Reg'. The signature is actually 'Peg'. Furthermore, the Post Office Regulations 1904 detail that of these two Surrey Post Offices, only Godalming had a telegraphist. The recipient of this card, a 'Miss Phillips,' staying with 'Mrs Ridgway' (a widow, I believe) is told she 'must find a special place in your book' for this postcard in 1904, 'if you will like this one'. Maybe she didn't!

Back