A theory about the "White Star buff" color applied on Titanic's funnels

No trick test. Here is but one mention:

"Chief Officer Stewart didn't identify her, but noted that the funnel was yellow - the same as the Mount Temple's. This ship has never been identified either, although it may have been the Carpathia, the rising sun making the funnel colour appear brighter than it was (Cunard funnels being red and black)."
[from: Who were they?]

No trick test. Here is but one mention:

"Chief Officer Stewart didn't identify her, but noted that the funnel was yellow - the same as the Mount Temple's. This ship has never been identified either, although it may have been the Carpathia, the rising sun making the funnel colour appear brighter than it was (Cunard funnels being red and black)."
[from: Who were they?]
More from the same "recommended" source, Sam.

As you know, natural light from the rising sun is a warm light. in it, red becomes more intense and buff glows. There is no way in, out, or under the sun (excuse pun) that red could be mistaken for buff. If anything, the red would look almost brown on the side of a funnel away from the sun.
For proof of this, members should consult an expert. Ask any trained artist or interior designer.

Furthermore, Stewart was sent down to wake up Evans just before 5:15 because the CQ call sent out by Evans was logged at 3:25am EST by Durrant. Sunrise didn't occur until 5:30am at the wreck site coordinates. I believe Stewart was mistaken he said it was after the sun rose. I believe it was in the last stages of morning twilight, or possibly as the sun was rising when he went back on deck and reported back to Lord the initial information received from Mount Temple from that 5:15 contact. Furthermore, according to what Lord said in his US testimony, the ship with the yellow funnel seen that morning was to the SW about 8 miles away. Carpathia at that time would have been further away to the SSE already dodging about trying to get to the lifeboats which were scattered over a distance of 4 to 5 miles according to Rostron.

Last edited:
Update:

I've been sent a PDF by a friend of mine who's registered under the name "Thomas Krom" on this website. I have attached it.

Furthermore, I've sent a mail to Peter Davies-Garner (I spelt his name wrong in the original post, Jeez) asking the sources which make mention of a "White Star pink" colour.

Until then, I'm saying that my original assumption wasn't correct and perhaps the Ken Marschall colour would be accurate (though I might add that in some colour photos in the article, it does seem that the colour is buff when there's direct sunlight and pink when it's overcast, it's not as extreme as what I shared though).

View attachment 76861
if Thomas sent you that, I'll agree with it. He's a good friend as well, and I trust his judgement

Edit, hm, 2000 messages. neat.

Furthermore, Stewart was sent down to wake up Evans just before 5:15 because the CQ call sent out by Evans was logged at 3:25am EST by Durrant. Sunrise didn't occur until 5:30am at the wreck site coordinates. I believe Stewart was mistaken he said it was after the sun rose. I believe it was in the last stages of morning twilight, or possibly as the sun was rising when he went back on deck and reported back to Lord the initial information received from Mount Temple from that 5:15 contact. Furthermore, according to what Lord said in his US testimony, the ship with the yellow funnel seen that morning was to the SW about 8 miles away. Carpathia at that time would have been further away to the SSE already dodging about trying to get to the lifeboats which were scattered over a distance of 4 to 5 miles according to Rostron.

In fact, and to be pedantic - Stewart said:
"8905. Is it in your mind at all that it was the "Carpathia" you saw?
- No; I thought it was a yellow funnel boat when the sun was up." which was after he returned to the bridge and before Californian got underway for the second time at 6 am.
As for Carpathia "dodging". I belive you will find evidence that she did not do much of that but that many of h boats had temake their way to her.

I would love to know which of his paintings does Ken Marschall consider to show white star buff the most accurately? since the colour varies in a number of his paintings
I'd try his latest painting, done for the 109th anniversary.
1630070549400.png

That is stunning. His ability to make his paintings look like photographs is absolutely amazing.
Always!!

I found this image of the iceberg collision from "An Illustrated History" that has been scanned it and its in SUPER great quality.

Personally, I trust any color by Ken, over Bob Read's.
Iceberg Collision, Ken Marschall 1992.jpg

Back