Ada Murdoch tour around the deck

Sarah S

Hello!

I have read that William Murdoch's wife, Ada, received a tour on the titanic by an officer. Does anyone have an idea who that officer was?

I have read somewhere that it was usually the task of junior officers to give tours to passengers or visitors. So is it possible that the officer guiding Ada Murdoch on the Titanic could have been either Officer Moody or Lowe?

Thank you!

I‘ve wondered this too. I think it was likely Moody. I have no proof, but since he was the only junior officer who didn’t survive and none of the other junior officers ever said anything about having given a tour, I tend to think it was him. Also there were two junior officers on watch at the same time. If I remember correctly, Pitman and Lowe were paired as were Boxhall and Moody. I’m not sure how strictly watch was kept in port or what time the tour occurred. Murdoch wrote a letter to his parents while Ada was touring the ship. He mentions her having a good look around. If Pitman and Lowe were on watch, then it also makes sense that the officer conducting the tours would have been Moody.

Last edited:
Back