Alfred Nichols

Nola, I have searched through birth and marriage records here in Sydney to try and get some clues into Alfred's life. He was an Aussie and was listed as being born in Sydney but I'd say his birth was not recorded (quite common around 1870)and I think he may have married in the UK or at least somewhere other than Sydney.
Chris,I knew of Thomas but how did you find out the names of his wife and daughter?
Andrew

Alfred Nichols was the first child born to Captain Thomas George Charles & Mary Nichols on Lord Howe Island, New South Wales, Australia in 1864. When 18+yrs he left the island and was not seen by his family again.

Robyn - Many thanks for that information - do you know if there is a memorial to him on Lord Howe Island? or is he mentioned on the family gravestone there?
Below is my print out on him:
Nichols, Alfred D. St. Cloud, Oak Tree Road, Bitterne Park, Southampton. Boatswain. 42. (Sydney, New South Wales, Australia).
(Death Notice, Southern Daily Echo 29th April 1912 and Hampshire Independent 4th May 1912).
Nichols, Alfred.
Dearyl beloved Husband of Jane Porter, Mauchline, Ayrshire, Scotland. Deeply Mourned by His Sorrowing Wife and Children. Scotch and Australian Papers please copy.
(From the Minute Book of the White Star Company)
The White Star Company had a Committee meeting on 23rd July 1912 at 10 Winter Street, Liverpool at 11.55am. Present Mr. J. Bruce Ismay (in the chair) and others.
During the meeting it was announced that the following cases were reported together with amounts paid into Court:
A. D. Nichols - Third Class Steward - Wages £3 15 0d - Dependants - Mother and Sister - £288.
(From: Mansion House Titanic Relief Fund Booklet, March 1913)
Number 14. Nichols, Jane, widow. Children: Thomas A and Jane A. All class E dependants.
(Extract from the Titanic Relief Fund Minute Book, Southampton Area, November 1914)
Case number 14. Nichols. Mrs. Nichols (widow) is a dependent in Class E. The deceased was boatswain on the Titanic and the Committee satisfied itself that the case was entitled to be placed in Class C. It was however considered undesirable to re-open the classification settled by the White Star line and the Committee therefore decided to meet the circumstances of the case by making up the difference between Class E. and Class C., viz;- 10/- per week from the Compassionate Fund. The Auditors have drawn the Committee's attention to the fact that an allowance of this description is not strictly one which should be dealt with out of the Compassionate Fund and it is therefore recommended that authority be given to pay the additional 10/- per week as a Scale Allowance.
(From: Mansion House Titanic Relief Fund Booklet, March 1913)
Number 14. Nichols, Jane, widow. Children: Thomas A and Jane A. All class E dependants.
(Extract from the Titanic Relief Fund Minute Book, Southampton Area, November 1914)
Case number 14. Nichols. Thomas Nichols, son, aged 15 years. Authority was given for payment of £7 towards School Fees for a period of one year now expired.
Recommend to vote a further grant at the rate of £7 per annum towards cost of fees to end of school period at the discretion of the Southampton Committee.
(From the Titanic Relief Fund Minute Book number 2, Southampton Area)
Date December 22nd 1913.
Case number C14. That payment be authorised for the boy to attend Tauntons Secondary Modern School and fees of £2 6s 8d be paid.
(From the Titanic Relief Fund Minute Book number 2, Southampton Area)
Date June 30th 1923.
That the Committee authorise School Fees or Apprenticeship grants in this case.

Brian - Thank you for your info just a few twists. First Alfred was named Albert and the daughter's name was Jean not Jane. She visited LHI with her family a few years before her death and was known to the Nichols family.

As Alfred/Albert went below with his fellow crew he obviously knew things did not look good so gave his whistle to someone to pass onto his family if he didn't make it. The whistle was returned to his wife and still remains with the family today.

Robyn - Thanks for your updates - ref the Whistle - interesting story - please make sure that it is fully documentated for future generations with letters of authenticity etc.
As to the names difference - the people in that era seemed to change there names a lot more than we do today and it is not unusual to find discrepancies.
Best wishes - Brian

His job was to ensure that the work of the deck crew was done to a proper standard, under his organisation and supervision. At times he would be passing on the orders of the officers, but would be expected also to use his own initiative and authority to keep things working smoothly.

They were the seamen's supervisors? Wow, it's funny how I got it totally wrong, I thought they were more like the last step of the chain of command lol. I guess I should have known better, they have their own cabin after all...

I am interested in finding out the specific tasks Boatswain Alfred Nichols would have performed during the first 4 days of the Titanic's ill fated maiden voyage. I understand that a boatswain is normally responsible for maintenance of the hull of a ship but on a liner the size and kind of the Titanic, what would his daily routine have been like? He had worked in the same capacity on the Olympic and so there may be some clues from there.

I am particularly interested to know if his job required interacting with the Firemen at any stage while on board the Titanic.

Hello my friend,

I hope you are doing well.

Every watch of the seamen had their shift leader, for the port watch this was boatswain/bo’sun Nichols. The port watch existed out of 13 seamen, the arrangement of which remains unknown. Nichols was also involved with control activities throughout the ship and was often called away.

During the departure of the ship boatswain Nichols was stationed on the forecastle with a number of seamen together with chief officer Wilde.

I hope this helps,

Kind regards,

Thomas

Every watch of the seamen had their shift leader, for the port watch this was boatswain/bo’sun Nichols.
The shift leader for the starboard watch was bo'sun's mate Albert Haines.
Nichols and Haines were part of the deck crew department. The firemen, trimmers, greasers, engineers were part of the engineering department. I don't believe they would normally interact, but during an emergency, like manning some lifeboats, that might be different.

Back