Any Recent Activity At The Wreck ?

Seumas

Would anyone happen to know if there have been any recent dives to the Lusitania in the last twelve-eighteen months or so ? Or if any are planned for the near future ?

The last big expedition that was that done for the "Dark Secrets of the Lusitania" documentary a few years back wasn't it ?

I really did admire the wreck owner, Gregg Bemis', genuine deep enthusiasm for telling the Lusitania's story and exploring the wreck as displayed on the documentary but he really went down in my estimations at the end of the film.

The scientists at the "Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory" in California, proved to him with lab tests that the second explosion must have been either a steam line or boiler explosion and not (as he is convinced there was) a secret cargo of explosives. His response was basically "the scientists can think whatever they want - I know I'm right !". A pretty cringe worthy moment. Has anyone here on ET ever actually met Mr Bemis and had a chat with him ?

In the same documentary they had the Irish diving expert (I forget the chaps name) who was terrific at identifying exact deck areas and functions of multiple parts of the wreck that to me appeared just appeared to be smashed metal. He really knew every inch of it like the back of his hand and he too had a real passion for the ship.

But he also said something I wasn't too sure about. Namely that the boxes of .303 bullets that they loaded on her at New York were stored in just any nook and cranny they could find in the holds rather than in one big consignment together. Would anyone know if there's any truth to that or not ?

1358179A-AF8F-4CFA-9A1E-946873295567.jpeg
D388FDDC-E889-4332-A066-D8AA255CE328.jpeg
2F80DF3E-C54E-4C0E-84B6-574E4BF4A1B2.jpeg
1358179A-AF8F-4CFA-9A1E-946873295567.jpeg

Not sure exactly when these images were taken, but they’re fairly recent. She’s pretty much gone.

Thanks for those pictures. Much appreciated.

Don't know if it's just me but all those fishing nets snagged on her make the ship look like she has a huge burial shroud wrapped around her.

Lusitania was certainly a bonnie lassie in her prime.

Wow Kurt, those photos are amazing.
I've tried my hand at matching up the debris with ship before she sank.
What do you think?

~Mike

Mr Stuart Williamson has just corrected my first photo showing 'Amidships' - apparently the wreck photo actually shows the first funnel's base. The other two water tanks found at the base there have since rotted away!

~Mike

Attachments

• Lusitania Wreck 1c.png
    Lusitania Wreck 1c.png
    417.3 KB · Views: 737
Last edited:
Someone in another thread on here posted them originally, that’s where I first saw em. I think they’re from the last few years. They’re mainly of the first funnel base and the forecastle, but it’s such a jumble it’s tough to tell what’s going on. Its condition is very sad and has been for a long time, but this is my favorite wreck to paint.

Those images are scans of the wreck from project 17, which is the most recent Lusitania dive.

While its hard to see in the photos, the wreck is collapsing in on itself so the original width of 80 feet is now like 15 feet. What you see is that the forecastle still retains its shape and width unlike the rest of the ship. This is why it look like it is on a steep angle, the ship is bending in a effort to keep the shape of the bow, which will most likely remain recognizable for some time to come.

All of this will be explained in detail in the upcoming paper in a few weeks with the real-time animation :D

The following images are what the ship looked like in the early 80s
HighresScreenshot00005.jpgHighresScreenshot00006.jpgHighresScreenshot00007.jpgHighresScreenshot00009.jpgHighresScreenshot00010.jpgHighresScreenshot00011.jpgHighresScreenshot00018.jpgHighresScreenshot00020.jpg

Sums up the state of the world at the moment doesn't it?

Thanks for posting those images Kurt, I didn't realise the wreck had deteriorated so much.

A very good point !

It was a proper "head in hands" moment.

Mr Bemis just can't accept that there was no secret cargo of explosives.

Don't know if you've seen the documentary I've mentioned (it's quite easy to find online) but he had a face like thunder when the scientists explain the results of their extensive tests to him !

Those images are scans of the wreck from project 17, which is the most recent Lusitania dive.

While its hard to see in the photos, the wreck is collapsing in on itself so the original width of 80 feet is now like 15 feet. What you see is that the forecastle still retains its shape and width unlike the rest of the ship. This is why it look like it is on a steep angle, the ship is bending in a effort to keep the shape of the bow, which will most likely remain recognizable for some time to come.

All of this will be explained in detail in the upcoming paper in a few weeks with the real-time animation :D

The following images are what the ship looked like in the early 80s
View attachment 44287View attachment 44288View attachment 44289View attachment 44290View attachment 44291View attachment 44292View attachment 44293View attachment 44294

Wow.

Great images.

I was happy with this painting when I made it. The angle is based on Ken Marschalls painting of the expedition in the 90s, but I liked the idea of it shrouded in darkness, instead of illuminated by a submersible.

Wow Kurt, those photos are amazing.
I've tried my hand at matching up the debris with ship before she sank.
What do you think?

~Mike
I think you’re spot-on, they’re mostly forecastle images, it’s pretty much all that’s recognizable anymore. As far as I know the port side of the forward bow is also in somewhat decent shape, but these pics don’t show any of it. For example, I’d hope the name is still visible on the port bow. It was in the 90s.

Back