How The Lusitania Wreck Originally Was

>>Unless we could get the Royal Navy to release any sonar hits of subs on their way to Lusitania's resting site,<<

I doubt very much that you would find records that detailed beyond a notation in a warship's log about prosecuting and attacking a submarine contact.

Sonar systems of the period weren't that incredibly sophisticated and much of what exists in military service even today would be hard pressed to differentiate between a wreck and something snuggled up next to it.

I pretty much figured such Michael. I was just throwing out how hard it would be to prove that theory unless there is information found of sub-logs, orders from German officials or other solid information of such practices. Getting that, my guess may be a process.

They were posted on-line 5 years ago or more. I know red-flag with the on-line thing. I haven't seen them since. I do know the wreck was salvaged shortly after sinking. Plus it has long since been a spot for divers to check out, although quite a dangerous dive due to depth, currents and the like. Sorry not to be of much more help. The Edmund Fitzgerald for all of her massive damage, was photographed many times and several times shortly after her sinking by the coast guard and minus the damage, she looked pretty good. A lot of the ships that are sunk for use as coral reefs look pretty good the first few years they are underwater. The U.S.S. Arizona looks pretty good for being underwater since 1941 and all of her damage. As do the Bismark and other WW 2 wrecks. Some food for thought.

I've never seen these photos of staterooms on the Andrea Doria shortly after the sinking. Where would I find them?

There is one site that may be able to direct you. Try http://www.andreadoria.org/

Good Luck!
happy.gif

>>unless there is information found of sub-logs,<<

And that might be worth looking at. There are no wrecked submarines near the wreck, so any that may have been subjected to attack would almost certainly have survived it.

Whether or not they survived the rest of the patrol is another matter. Three out of every four were lost in the course of the war, but some of the logs and war diaries in an archive may have something.

Yes, Pierette has done much to continue the memory of the ship and her people over the past few years. Her book is very well done and she has a few other Doria projects in the works. I've known her for several years- and I always felt bad that when they interviewed her on CBS all they showed her talking about was the 'ensalada russa'.

Hi Martin

I am not entirely sure about Bernard's drawings. People who were in boats that escaped a few minutes earlier gave a different sense of how it sank. Like Elizabeth Hampshire in boat 13. Boat 11, which Bernard was in, almost got swamped between the 2nd and 3rd funnels as the ship sank, so he couldn't really see the whole ship.

Back