Are modern cruise ships more luxurious than the old transatlantic liners?

i understand what you and Charlie are saying and agree. But one doesn't have to go as far back as Edwardian era. When I was young lad and up thru my time in the Navy when people got an airliner they usually were dressed in their best. Coach service in those days were almost always and in someways even better than first class today. Today its almost unbelievable the stuff I've seen on airliners. But a lot of that falls on the airline industry itself when they switched to the cattle car buisness model. But in those days if you showed up in pajama tops, flip flops and spandex pants they would say get lost. I remeber the first time I was on a flight and the stewardess was some dude. I was like WTH... what has happened to the world.? *L*. You get what you pay for I guess.

I was like WTH... what has happened to the world.? *L*. You get what you pay for I guess.

True, but it depends on the mindset. I am now 64 years old and the dress code was a lot more formal when I was a kid. But even then I thought that people who wore suits regularly were uncomfortable. We have probably become a bit too casual these days as evidenced by jeans with holes etc. Perhaps some sort of via media is the answer - a sort of 'smart casual' being the norm with the option of dressing more or less formally for occasions as appropriate.

Back