Boiler rooms during sinking

Recently watched the documentary 'Titanic 100 Years'. They showed a close up of one of the boiler rooms and the narrator said the boilers show clear signs of imploding and how they must have been lit. Could this explain why some of the survivors saw huge plumes of smoke, large pieces of coal, and a fountain of fire as she broke in two? Would imploded boilers shatter the ship's side and buckle the hull and keel causing her to break, or were the implosions an immediate after effect of the break?

boilers.PNG

Anyone have a rough guess how many boilers may have imploded and if boiler room 1 was lit during the evacuation?

I think so. The boilers in 2 provided the primary steam feeds to the main and emergency electrical generators. So they were definitely lit.

We have evidence that the fires in boiler rooms 5 and 4 were pulled but I've not found anything about boiler room 3 though you would have to assume they were.

You have raised a further interesting question though. If the boilers in Boiler Room 2 imploded due to the deluge of ice cold water, then why is there no evidence to suggest the boilers in Boiler Room 6 imploded earlier in the sinking? Those boilers would have been running at full steam pressure with all fires lit.

The boilers in #6 had been made safe before the compartment flooded. Conventional wisdom has boiler room #6 flooding catastrophically as the side of the ship opened on the iceberg. Not so if we are to believe the two survivors of that compartment.

Read closely the testimony of stoker Beauchamp who worked in stokehold #10 of boiler room #6. This put him at the after end of the compartment. He heard the impact on the berg, but remained at his post. Just after impact he heard his leading stoker, Barrett, yell for the men to return to duty and close the dampers. Barrett confirmed this set of orders. Beauchamp remained in boiler room #6 for roughly 20 minutes raking out his furnaces. During that time water started coming up over the stoker plates (a false deck above the tank top). He said it came out of the bunker behind him. That bunker was against bulkhead E which separated boiler rooms #6 and #5. The watertight door between the two spaces remained closed as far as we know.

Once the fires in #6 were raked, the stokers and trimmers were sent on deck. Beauchamp said he milled about with third class passengers on E deck for a short time. Leading fireman Barrett was asked to accompany engineer Shepherd with work in boiler room #5. Evacuation of #6 took place about 20 minutes after impact, which is the same time as steam began venting from the #1 funnel. The coincidence of venting steam on deck and the need to dump steam from an unattended boiler room seems significant. Also, steam was only dumped from the #1 funnel while boiler room #6 was the only one actually noted to be flooding during the half hour or so after impact.

Shortly after entering boiler room #5 Barrett and Shepherd were sent back to #6. This involved climbing over the bulkhead via the system of ladders and catwalks. When the descended into #6 they noted this compartment was flooded to a depth of what Barrett estimated to be 8 feet. This flooding made impossible the task they were sent to do, so the two men reported back to boiler room #5. Barrett did not say the purpose of their trip to #6, but he did say he and Shepherd reported back to engineers who were apparently working on the pumps or plumbing.

Moments later the lights went out in the boiler rooms. After the boiler room blackout Barrett noted extremely low water levels in the boilers of #5. He attributed this to steam blowing off. Since both #5 and #6 shared the same funnel, perhaps he was correct that incorrect dumping of steam in #6 somehow "sucked" (my term) water out of the boilers in #6. Whether that's what happened or not, Barrett's narrative corroborates what Beauchamp said.

-- David G. Brown

A space which containes air or water at ambient pressure, will start to implode when the outside pressure reaches a level greater than the strength members of the space in question. Think of an old time submarine movie.
The boilers of the Titanic were Scotch Boilers. These were what were called "Fire Tube" boilers. The ends of these boilers were connected to each other by very strong, tubular steel rod stays, bolted externally to the end plates and tubular steel fire tubes. There was no room for them to 'implode'. Here is a diagram of a single end Scotch Boiler.
Boilers 2 2017-06-12 001.jpg

Aaron's photograph seems to be of only the rear end of a boiler and it's upside down. If so, then what we are seeing is the front of the Back Tube Plate enclosing the Combustion Chamber, the top of the Boiler Support Stool, the Keel and the Keel Rubbing Plate. If so, then then the main body of the boiler containing Fire Tubes, Steam Space, Space Stays, furnaces and Front Tube Plate is missing and tore away when the ship broke her back. Consider the following additions I have made to Aaron's photograph.

What do you think?
boilers.PNG

I believe author Richard De Kerbrech gives a good explanation as to why the boiler rooms in 5 would be low on water:

In the boiler rooms the 'stop' order did not necessarily mean 'finished' but rather it meant that regular firing was to be stopped, the damper and ashpit doors partially closed, and the fires maintained in a 'banked' condition, by pushing to the rear of the grates in order to reduce generation of steam a minimum and thus prevent loss of feed water through safety valves lifting and reduce stresses on the cooling boilers.

Down Amongst the Black Gang
pg. 51-52

Just after impact he heard his leading stoker, Barrett, yell for the men to return to duty and close the dampers.

Not according to Barrett's testimony. He said the stokehold indicator came up stop and he sang out 'shut all the dampers' and they had just got them shut when the crash came.

Either way, just before, or just after, I'm coming around to the idea that the crew of boiler room 6 were able to pull the fires. If, Barrett was close enough to the starboard bulkhead damage to be doused in ice cold water then getting out of the way would be a natural response.

Beauchamp says that he heard the leading stoker call out regarding the dampers but later, "someone said that will do" relating to leaving the compartment. That says to me that it obviously wasn't Barrett as a) we know he evacuated the space and b) Beauchamp would have named him.

I think Beauchamp may have suffered from expanding time as normally happens when people try and recall how long they were doing something at moments of high stress.

It is possible though, that it took less time to pull the fires as the hot coals were being dragged out onto a flooded deck. They wouldn't have needed to run around with buckets of water as they did in other boiler rooms.

There are a number of other interesting inconsistencies in testimony that raise some question marks over precisely what went on in Boiler Room 6.

As for the blow off valves. They would be independent for each set of boiler rooms though I expect they would vent out at the same place.

Boiler rooms 5 and 6 were probably disconnected from the system which meant the main stream supply valves would be closed.

I do not believe that the boilers are upside down. I circled in green the bolt ends of the stay bars (the nuts located by the letter X diagram Jim posted.)

Also visible (with orange lines) are the stay tubes with nuts sticking out.

I also included another picture of the boilers with reference to the mosaic, which shows them upside right.

boilers.png

I do not believe that the boilers are upside down.

And they are not. What we see is the break area of the bow, showing the boilers in Boiler Room No. 2. The upper decks had collapsed further down as well as the outside hull. What was marked as the Keel Rubbing Plate is the alcove (you will see it on the plan as "Dome over Lounge") over the Lounge close to where the compass platform was... ;)

There is a problem with boiler room #6. According to naval architect Wilding, Titanic would have floated if that comprtment had been kept from filling to the top of bulkhead D. But, Titanic did sink. That raised the question, "Why?" Barrett stepped forward with his spine-tingling story of ducking for his life into boiler room #5 as the ocean cascaded into #6. With that testimony, Titanic became the unfloatable ship. This new myth replaced the old unsinkable one.

The press of 1912 was satisfied. The two inquiries were satisfied. Walter Lord was satisfied, James Cameron was satisfied. And the list goes on.... But, was Barrett correct in what he said during both of the inquiries? Maybe not.

Fireman Beauchamp was cast into the slack pile of history because his testimony did not line up with the myth created by Barrett. Whilst Barrett said boiler room #6 opened to the sea and flooded so rapidly he had to escape for his life, Beauchamp said things remained pretty much as the were before the accident. There was no rush to escape. Instead, his leading stoker issued commands about closing dampers and, eventually raking out fires. The two men's description of the early moments are virtually identical. They must have been in the same compartment. And, the one Beauchamp tended was boiler room #6. The one where Barrett was leading stoker was boiler room #6. Perforce, they were in #6.

Where was Barrett's flooding? It was not in #6. But, the auxiliary bunker beneath hold #3 would have received rapid flooding. We know this from a variety of survivor memories of water rising in the mail room and post office. If Barrett had been in the bunker beneath hold #3, he would have experienced a torrent of water and found himself in need of a hasty exit. The closing watertight door leading aft was his primary opportunity for survival. It led from the hold to the fifth compartment aft from the bow which we call boiler room #6.

I agree with Rob that Beauchamp probably had some time distortion in his memories. But, what he said happened in #6 matches events elsewhere in the ship, events recorded by other people who were not overcome by even the slightest fear. Consider the number of people who noticed steam blowing off from funnel #1 about 20 minutes after impact on the iceberg. That tallies very nicely with the time when Beauchamp and his fellow black gang members were trooping up the ladder to Scotland Road on E deck. Because of this second source corroboration of Beauchamp it's reasonably safe to say that the water was just over the stoker plates in boiler room #6 some 20 minutes after impact on the berg.

Dumping the steam from #6 was a wise safety move. No sense having it in the boilers of a compartment that was both abandoned and taking on water. Just who issued the order, "That will do," is hard to say. It must have come from an officer, possibly Shepherd. We know that Barrett and Beauchamp went different ways after that -- Barrett to boiler room #5 and Beauchamp to Scotland Road.

While it would have been standard practice to link boilers in #5 and #6, I never thought that would pull water out of one if the steam was dumped from the other. It's in Barrett's testimony, however. If he was correct, then it suggests a bit of confusion in operation of the steam plant in the damaged area of the ship. Hmmm... Wonder where that path might lead?

Barrett's testimony indicates the fires in #5 dampered off if not "banked." This makes sense as those boilers might have been needed if the ship ever got underway again. Or, they were also probably the main source of power for the bilge pumps in boiler room #5. But, after the blackout Barrett said the sight glass showing boiler water was dry. That's bad. If the doctor pump got a notion to send feed water into a dry boiler, the seam would expand more than 1,000 times and...well...boom! Although the situation was quickly solved, that the problem arose in the first place is another indicator of confusion in the boiler rooms.

-- David G. Brown

Actually there is no big mystery about Boiler Room No. 6. Barrett was exactly there where he said he was when the collision happened. The only one mistaken was Beachaump who also reported other things different and also left out the part about the lights going out.
Barrett version is confirmed by others especially leading stoker Hendrickson. Hendrickson was send by Hesketh for lamps as the lights in the boiler rooms went out.

4903. When you got the lamps did you go back with them? - I got all the lamps I could get that were ready. I got five, and left four or five men there to get more if they could. Then I came back by the engine room, went along and down the escape to go to No. 6 section. When I got down there I found I could not get any further, the water was up too high; so I came back by the escape again and went to No. 5 section.
4904. Did you go down No. 5? - Yes.

Back