Britannic's Watertight Inner Skin Titanic

Erik Wood

I don't think that you are missing anything Mark. I have spent little time on the Britannic, but from what you have told me in your post, I tend to agree with you. I wonder what theories will develop.

Mark,
Does this "Inner Skin" just sort of "Hang About" inside the Main Hull plating, that`s what the guy you read seems to be implying. Every double hulled ship I have ever sailed on had watertight divisions both transverse and horizontal.

By inference does he also imply that the double bottom was an open tube as well? If he does then that is a "Very Strange Set Up"

Best wishes and Regards
Dennis

Hi Mike!

I am sure editing doesn't improve things either, but to make such a statement you would hope that he had checked out the inner skin's construction, wouldn't we.

It sounds interesting all this technical stuff you've been researching, I am sure it was a grand time.

Best regards,

Mark.

Hi Mark,
Think I made a whoopsie the other night,the question I should have asked was "Does this guy think that the inner skin just hangs about", not what I wrote, sorry. I know what a double skin is and how fitted and divided up.
I`ve started this post about 6 times and everytime it`s looked as if I`m moaning or being patronising, sounds stupid I know, but you must have had the same problem of how to word a post without coming over as sounding possibly arrogant or worse.(I`m getting close to starting this post again...)
No, I`m going to leave it as it is, sorry for my bad first post (all my fault)

Best Wishes & Regards

Dennis

Hi Dennis!

Don't worry about wording your post, you should have seen some of my early efforts. Maybee you can if they are still in the depths of this board!
smile.gif

Best regards,

Mark.

Hi Dennis,

For what it's worth, regardless of how you feel about the way your post was worded, I got exactly what you were driving at. I bought those books for the photographs, but every so often while paging through one, I find myself beginning to read the text or captions (sort of like going past a bad wreck - you try to resist the urge to look, but...) and within a few seconds time I find myself wondering just what it was that this guy did at H&W? How is it that he could have worked there for so many years and still become so misinformed about ship construction? And he supposedly worked somehow in connection with the drafting department, for cryin' out loud! Downright scary if you ask me....

Best,

Scott Andrews

Hi Mike, Scott!

I suppose one faint possibility is that someone at his publisher suggested it and the theory (which reads as though its a bona fide confirmed fact), was just put in without checking. If he had checked...

I am not sure about being valuable, but if it helped I would be happy to offer any opinions.

As you know it's usual in ship maintainence to drill a ship to check its hull plating, etc.; I've been doing some interesting research on Olympic's, although unless we're debunking the 'poor steel' theory it would not be of much use.

Best regards,

Mark.

Mark, don't sell yourself short. You've displayed an impressive body of technical knowladge about ships in general and the Olympics in particular. Keep your eye on Erik's technical folder. You can bet we'll have a lot to discuss there in the near future.

Back