Why couldn't Harland and Wolff build Titanic in the graving dock?

Tim Turner, thanks for the link to that article. That was an absolutely amazing event. And it begs the question that's been asked here many times before: "What if Titanic had hit the ice mountain head on?"

Steven Christian said:

Still must have been something to see. Never seen a ship in dry dock. They taught us about the USS Oriskany in A-school and in the fire fighting schools I went to.. The flare locker fire. Pretty tragic.

Steven, were you a USN Damage Controlman? Where did you go to A-school? I went through Treasure Island (San Francisco Bay) in '71. Yes, I remember the films they showed of the various carrier fires. You could've heard a pin drop in that room. They were interesting times, eh?

No I was an AO. Aviation Ordnance. They called us BB stackers. A-school was in Millington TN. After the 3 big fires on the carriers the navy changed to all sailors will be fire fighters. At least in basic fire fighting. The aviation rates had to go to other fire fighting schools as well. I also had to go to magazine fire fighting school when I became a AO2 mag rat. My favorite was aircraft fire fighting school. We got to light off magnesium wheels and try to put them out among other things. I had great respect for the damage controlmen. They earned their pay on my ship. She was old and averaged 4 fire/flooding calls a day. 95% were old frayed wiring smoldering in a junction box. We had a few dicey incidents but nothing like what Tim went thru. For lack of a better term that was pretty remarkable what Mr. Turner experienced.

Back