Californian's boilers

Great news everyone, the paper is finished! :D

All that's left to do now is spellcheck it and double check everything is historically accurate (meaning I haven't misread or misunderstood anything).

Expect it to be released either on the 29th September (A symbolic date for the Californian) or earlier.

Back to Topic!

I agree with Rob re Robert's posts 103 and 105, and seriously detracts from Harland's excellent research.

Much as I applaud anyone who serves in the USA Navy, as David has done in respect of Robert, details of Robert's USA Navy career has no place on this thread.

Cheers,

Julian

I'm just about to ask a really silly question, but I just noticed this Newspaper clipping for "Corn Markets" in 1905.
Californian Cargo??? Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser May 20 1905 Page 3.png

I been ignoring these newspaper clippings as they keep referring to "Californian Wheat" (literally a type of wheat) but with the mention of the Leyland Line Victorian and other ships, is this source describing cargo for the Californian?

IF that's is the case, then it might be possible to find what (if anything the Californian was carrying).

If not, then this is just a random advert and I'm sorry for wasting everyone's time.

Hi Harland,

I would suggest the "changed hands" is amongst traders at The London Corn Exchange. As per my quotes from The Engineer magazine of 1912 in respect of the Coal Exchanges, coal was referred to by grade and alternatively location of the mine/seam, with often 'generic' descriptions being used. I see no reason why the Corn Exchanges would not have used similar terms.

California was a major producer of wheat in the 1880s but this output declined markedly by 1905 due to other crops etc being more profitable.

In your above newspaper report, the ships are usually referred to in quote marks, but there are clearly some typesetter's errors.

Cheers,

Julian

Back