Carpathia "The Most Famous Rescue Ship In the World"

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
Hi all,

I thought you would be interested in this article.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

ATLANTA, June 21 /PRNewswire/ -- RMS Titanic, Inc. salvor-in-possession of the legendary Titanic announced today the acquisition of the wreck of the RMS Carpathia, ``the most famous rescue ship in the world''.

On April 14, 1912 Carpathia received a distress signal from the Titanic after hitting an iceberg. Captain Rostron immediately ordered the Carpathia to turn around and heroically maneuvered his ship though treacherous waters at full speed. The Carpathia rescued the 705 Titanic survivors from their lifeboats in the icy waters of the North Atlantic.

In a letter by one of the survivors, Adolphe Saalfeld, a perfumiere, wrote: ``The Captain and Officers of the Carpathia did all that was possible to make us comfortable and to those that were sick or injured, they gave their tenderest care. The icebergs were huge and the weather extremely rough on the voyage to New York.''

Saalfeld survived the tragedy leaving in lifeboat number 3 at around 1 o'clock in the morning.

The extraordinary combination of these two most famous wrecks in the world provides a unique opportunity through exhibition, to tell the complete story of the Titanic and the Carpathia allowing for a graphic insight into the wrecks as they are today.

RMS Titanic, Inc. is developing plans to mount an expedition to the site of the Carpathia to recover artifacts, film, document and record her condition.

On July 17, 1918 the Carpathia was sailing in convoy from Boston, carrying troops when she was struck by three torpedoes on the aft port side. The RMS Carpathia sank at 12.40am July 18th.

She currently lies 120 miles off the southern coast of Ireland in 500' of water on her keel.

SOURCE: RMS Titanic, Inc.

Jason,

Thank you for posting that article. I have been doing my best to keep up with all news concerning the Carpathia wreckage. I have heard rumors about there being a Discovery Channel program on the wreck. I have also heard that, suprisingly, R.M.S. Titanic does not plan to salvage anything from the ship. Personally, I was glad to hear that. While salvaged items are fun and even more than a bit entertaining to look at, it seems like they lose their "magic" once they are brought to the surface. I would really like to see them find out for certain as to whether or not the ship really had a trophey case full of awards given to the crew members by Titanic survivors as tokens of their appreciation. That would be fascinating.

-B.W.

I noticed the artical indicates that RMSTI does intend to recover artifacts from the Carpathia. Good news if you're pro-salvage, not so great if you're of the conterary opinion. Objectively speaking, I don't see how RMSTI could retain title as salvor-in-possession if they didn't recover artifacts.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Hi Brandon,

You're welcome! If the rumours are true about their being a Discovery Channel program, it would be very interesting to watch. You're right, the salvaged items are fun and entertaining to see but, they do seem to lose their "magic" once they are retrieved from the ocean floor. If the ship had those trophies, seeing them would definitely be fascinating.

Mike B: It sounds like the Carpathia is in quite a sad state.

Michael S: I agree with you, I don't know how else RMSTI could keep the title either, if they never brought up artifacts.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

From what I have heard, the wreck is lying upright, with the bow badly damaged, that is if I remember correctly. Her funnel is lying nearby, slightly crushed. There is an official website for the wreck, but I don't have the URL handy at the moment.

-B.W.

Hi Brandon,

Thank you for that information. I'm interested in seeing the official website for the wreck.

If you could post the URL for me, that would be great.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

I would love to see the Carpathia, I concur with Michael, "I don't see how RMSTI could retain title as salvor-in-possession if they didn't recover artifacts".

I hope the Discovery Channel does do a documentary about Carpathia. I think it would do her honor and her crew honor. I am still ambivelent about artifacts though. Sometimes I think they are better off on the ocean floor where they were found.

Beverly

Since when does RMST own the Carpathia? Did George Tulloch just show up at the wreck and post a flag saying "I claim this wreck in the name of RMS Titanic Inc!" It must be easy to claim wrecks. I call the Lusitania!

David

I gather from the information on this site that the expidition plans to send real divers down to around, and inside the ship. Rather a dicey game IMO. I'll start praying for them if they do this.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Maybe some of you like to know some details on which way the RMS Titanic Inc has acquired the rights. By surfing through the net I found the following:

"The Company's (i.e. The RMS Titanic Inc.)depreciation and amortization expenses increased to $587,000 from $303,000, or 94%, during the 2001 fiscal year as compared to the 2000 fiscal year. This increase is primarily attributed to the amortization of certain intangibles which the Company acquired in early 2000 for $900,000. These intangibles are related to prospective salvage opportunities for twelve shipwrecks throughout the world. These intangibles were exchanged in May 2001 for the ownership rights to the Carpathia. (...) In May 2001, the Company acquired the rights to the shipwreck the RMS Carpathia."

(source: the Archives of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, http://www.sec.gov)

Back