Charles Edward Judd

Jacqueline,

I would really like to hear about your grandfather after the events of the Titanic. Did he leave an account? Do you own photographs or anything of his? It is always interesting to have close relatives of survivors on the message board!

Cheers,
happy.gif

-B.W.

Hi Jacqueline,

My name is Amy Dodd, Sam Redford's cousin, Sharon Williams daughter.. Dianes sister.. Charlie Judd was my great great grandfather too. Have you got any pictures of him, ive only ever seen two pictures.

Amy
happy.gif

HI JACQUELIN MY NAME IS AMANDA GALE AND CHARLES EDWARD JUDD WAS MY GREAT GREAT GRANDFATHER TOO. MY DAD HAS THE SAME PICTURE OF HIM AS YOU. IF YOU HAVE ANY STORIES ABOUT HIM ID LOVE TO HEAR THEM BYE
MANDY

Hello, Mandy---

1. Please note that Ms. Franklin's message was posted nearly six years ago, and she is no longer a registered member of this board. It's therefore unlikely that she will respond.

2. Please don't use all capital letters. It's the online equivalent of shouting and is frowned upon.

Thanks.

Hello Amanda - Welcome.
Here is what I have on Mr. Judd - I hope you find it interesting:

JUDD, CHARLES EDWARD. Saved in Lifeboat number 9. Lived at 98 Derby Road, Northam, Southampton. Occupation - Fireman. 30 years old. (Born in Hampshire). Ship before the RMS Titanic was the RMS Oceanic.
(From The Reading Standard, 20 April, 1912, Page 7).
A TITANIC VICTIM
SUBJOINED is a photograph of Mr. Charles Edward Judd, a fireman on board the Titanic, who is believed to have perished in the wreck. His parents live at 84, Westfield Road, Caversham, and for some years he was employed at Messrs. Elliott's joinery works, where his father is a machinist, but most of his working life had been spent at sea. in consequence of the Olympic being laid up owing to the coal strike, he signed on for the Titanic. Mr. Judd was well known in Caversham, where he often stayed when off duty. He lived in lodgings at Southampton, and was unmarried. His age was 32.
(From The Reading Observer, 20 April, 1912, page 5).
Our representative called at the home of the missing fireman and received from Mrs. Judd and her daughter a tearful account of his seafaring life, which commenced some thirteen years ago, when the Judds lived at Southampton. Since that time the son has served in various capacities on the steamships of the R.M.S.P., Union Castle, and White Star Lines, and the rooms of his Reading home are decorated with innumerable curios which he has collected during his travels in almost every quarter of the globe. It is interesting to know that Judd had a narrow escape from death in 1907, when he left the Island of Jamaica a few hours before the all devastating earthquake. The Judd family moved to Reading six years ago, and Charles, who is the eldest of four sons, never failed to visit them when he arrived at Southampton, where he lodged. He was consequently a familiar figure in Reading, where being possessed of all the geniality typical of Britain's sons of the sea, he was very popular amongst his large circle of friends. Judd was a member of a Southampton Lodge of Oddfellows.
(From The Oxford Times, Saturday, April 27, 1912)
Reading Survivors
Fears that two of the crew whose homes were in Reading had gone down with their vessel have been happily allayed. Relatives and friends who mourned them for dead have had joyous tidings that they were rescued and were safe ashore. The two men are: Charles E. Judd, aged 32, fireman of 84 Eldon Cottages, Westfield Road, Caversham; and Frederick D. Ray, steward of ''Akbar'', 56 Palmer Park Avenue, Reading.

Cheers Brian

Hello l have recently joined encyclopaedia-titanica.org always been interested in the titanic. My name is Rosalyn Judd l visited the exhibition in Florid some years ago when l learned that there was a fireman Charles Edward Judd. I don't think l am related but was very surprised to see that there was a fireman called Judd on board the titanic as its not a common surname. I am hoping to visit the museum in Belfast when the coving situation allows us to travel with my son. Have watched many programmes on the titanic, including the recent one the aftermath of the titanic which tells the story of how the bodies were identified. And how the White Star Line treated their crew members who perished by asking for money from the families for their uniforms. I am really grateful for being a part of the encyclopedia-titanica which enables me to research the facts of this tragic event.

Back