Charles John HURST

Charles Hurst was my great grandfather and was a Fireman/Stoker. My son has become very interested in his story having studied the Titanic at school. I am looking for any photos of the crew and the areas they lived and worked in. He was never found but we do have information about him and his life as well as the usual family photos.
Can anyone help??

Clive Keevil

Clive, what little ET has on him can be found HERE.

While you probably won't have too much trouble finding crew photos, finding photos of the working spaces on the Titanic herself may be quite a trick. Apparently, it never occured to anyone to keep an extensive official record of the engineering spaces, and what may have been done is either no longer extant or in private collections. There are some construction photos of the Olympic class liners engineering spaces, but they're few and far between.

Clive - here is a bit of family information that might help

Hurst, Charles John. Lived at 3 Laundry Road, Freemantle, Southampton. Occupation - Fireman. 35 years old. (Born in Hampshire). (Wife: Louisa).
(Death Notice from the Southern Daily Echo 27th April, 1912 and the Hampshire Independent 27th April and 11th May 1912).
Hurst, Charles John.
Dearly Beloved Husband of Louisa Hurst, 5 Laundry Road, Shirley Warren, Aged 40.
(From: Mansion House Titanic Relief Fund Booklet, March 1913)
Number 127. Hurst, Louisa, Mary, widow. Children: Edwin; Lewis; Leonard; Herbert; Gladys. All class G dependants.

Best regards - Brian

Charles John Hurst, known to family and friends as 'Jack', was my great grandfather, who lived at 3,Laundry Road, Shirley Warren. He had 4 children, Leonard, Michael, Herbert and Gladys, who was my grandmother. They moved to 1,Laundry Road, where I lived up until one year ago. Glad had 2 daughters, Janet and Diane, my mother.I'd be interested in getting in touch as we seem to be related. How do you fit into our family tree?

Hi Lisa,

You might want to send Clive an e-mail, by clicking on his name. It appears that he hasn't logged on in a few months.

Just a thought.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

I am a grand-daughter of Charles John Hurst. Although I have maintained in Interest in his fate for many years I do not even have a known photograph of him. It sounds as if Clive and Lisa may have some. I recognise Lisa as the daughter of my cousin Diane, and presume Clive is Jan's son. If either of them ever visit this site I would be delighted to make more direct contact.

Hello Julia,

Welcome aboard. Clive is no longer a member of the board, so it is very unlikely that he will see your message. As for Lisa, she has not accessed the board since June 6, 2006. But, you can send her a message through her profile by clicking on her name.

Hello Julia,

I changed my e mail address so may not have received any previous attempts to get in contact. I didn't hear back from Clive, assume he was a son of either Pauline or Mercia, daughters of Mike Hurst (Michael, son of Charles Hurst) as they emigrated to Australia, which is where he was living I think. My mother Diane and her sister Jan are unfortunately deceased, but I am in regular contact with Jan's daughters Sadie and Lucy. I have a large photo of Charles Hurst and will try and post it on this site sometime this week.

Hello Lisa,
My name is (Murray) Jack Lovell and Charles John Hurst is my great grandfather through his eldest son Edwin John Hurst (1898 - 1958) and wife Lillian.
My mother was their only daughter Gladys Hurst who married Murray Carbonel Lovell in the mid 40's.
Members of the Hurst family continued to reside in Laundry Road certainly into the 60's and I remember in my early teens dropping in to cadge a cigarette from the twenty-something Diana who I had a crush on.
It has been a long time since there was any activity on this post but if you do receive this I would welcome a line from you.
Jack

Hello again!
I am Clive Keevil. My mother was Pauline Hurst, daughter of Michael Hurst (Mick) (Michael, son of Charles Hurst). He was with his relative Walter Hurst who survived via Lifeboat B.

I moved to Australia in 2000 and now have a grandson, 7 months, who we are putting together a family tree and a family history. Any references would help as we don't want this event to be forgotten.

As mum and dad have now passed we are the new torch bearers within our section of the family. Any contacts, info would be welcome

Stay safe

Clive Keevil

He was with his relative Walter Hurst who survived via Lifeboat B.
Were Charles and Walter Hurst related? I was under the impression that Walter Hurst (Titanic survivor) was the son-in-law of fellow fireman William Mintram (victim). I did not know that they were also related to Charles Hurst?

William Mintram had a son named Charles who was 19 years old at the time the Titanic sank but he had nothing to do with the ship. Charles Mintram lived into his 90s, passing on in 1986.

Last edited:
Charles John Hurst was the father of my uncle ‘Mick’ as apparently everybody knew him although his real name was Louis Frank Hurst. I knew him, his wife Hilda and daughters Pauline and Mercia. I am 85 and would love to exchange memories with any of Charles John Hurst or his son Louis Frank Hurst.

Charles John Hurst was the father of my uncle ‘Mick’ as apparently everybody knew him although his real name was Louis Frank Hurst. I knew him, his wife Hilda and daughters Pauline and Mercia. I am 85 and would love to exchange memories with any of Charles John Hurst or his son Louis Frank Hurst.
I might got some interesting stories to talk about. Charles John Hurst served as a fireman of the 08:00-12:00 and 20:00-24:00, meaning he was on duty in boiler room number 6, 5, 4, 3 or 2 during the collision with the iceberg. He would had his dormitory on the port side of D-deck, together with 54 of his colleagues, 47 of which are known by name. Of these 48, Hurst included, 6 would survive. Charles his cousin, Fireman Charles Edward Judd (1880-1960), slept in a different dormitory on F-deck and was part of the shift that would follow Charles his watch. Apparently he knew Charles by his nickname "Jack" (most likely based on his middle name). Judd later wrote the following letter:
“Dear Mother, Father, and all –

I suppose you know of the terrible calamity which befell us on April 14th. Oh, dear, I shall never forget that night as long as I live; it was awful. I was in the water for 5½ hours before I was picked up, and when they picked me up I was helpless. I have been in hospital (on board) with frost-bitten feet and legs; the doctor was rubbing my legs until they nearly bled to try to get life into them. I was afraid I should lose both feet. Oh, dear, what an awful thing it is to be frost-bitten, but, never mind, thank God, I am alive. I am the luckiest man in the world to be alive, I can tell you. Poor Jack Hurst is gone to the bottom. He leaves a wife and six children. It is very sad. Out of a crew of 905 there are only 205 left to tell the tale. I have a lot to tell you when I arrive home. In my room, where the firemen were, there were 56 of us, and only two of us got saved. Of course nobody knows at home who are saved and who are not, and what us fellows went through nobody knows, only God above. The cries for help were pitiful to hear. I was swimming around to find something to catch hold of, and I had my boots on, but they were not laced up, and I found something pulling at them when I was in the water. All of a sudden they came off with a jerk. It was some poor fellow , Portuguese I thought; he found something to cling to and a good job my boots came off. I expect poor Jack Hurst was blown to atoms. Fancy thirty-six boilers bursting. I tell you there was a terrible report. I was alongside the ship when she went down like a stone. Her stern was 50ft or 60ft up in the air. We were the last to leave her; the water washed us all off her into the sea. Of course, we all thought a big ship like that could not sink, but the water was master, and always will be. We lost everything except what we had on and a change at home. All my poor mates are gone to the bottom – nearly all Shirley chaps on our watch. I do not know what pay we shall get, as we have only five days due to us, and we cannot claim any more. As soon as the ship strikes our pay stops – hard lines; but, never mind, I am only too thankful to be where I am. We were in a field of ice thirty miles long. When we were picked up, there were five dead ones. We left them to float away. We were in a collapsible boat full of water up to our waists, and if we had another quarter of an hour to go we should all have perished with the cold. I will tell you more when I get home.”

Mr Wm Judd adds:-

“Jack Hurst is my cousin, married. Several of my school-mates have gone down with the ship. My native place is Shirley, two miles from Southampton. I expect to see my brother about the end of this week, so, of course, I shall get some more news from him then. I might mention that he just missed the earthquake in Jamaica a year or two back, having left the port a few hours before.’
It seems that he didn't saw his cousin at all that night.

I hope this could be some interesting things to talk about.

Hello again!
I am Clive Keevil. My mother was Pauline Hurst, daughter of Michael Hurst (Mick) (Michael, son of Charles Hurst). He was with his relative Walter Hurst who survived via Lifeboat B.

I moved to Australia in 2000 and now have a grandson, 7 months, who we are putting together a family tree and a family history. Any references would help as we don't want this event to be forgotten.

As mum and dad have now passed we are the new torch bearers within our section of the family. Any contacts, info would be welcome

Stay safe

Clive Keevil
Hi Clive. I am new to this site but keen to contact you. You mum was my cousin as was Mercia. I visited you house in Ringwood area 2 times when I was doing the Pearce family history. I am 85 and recall visiting your grandparents house/shop/off license when I was a young lad. Please make contact and we can share memories.
Mike Hansford. My mother named me after your grandfather who everyone called Mick. Your mum confirmed that when I met her a decade or so ago.

Kind regards, Mike, formerly Mick!

Hello Lisa,
My name is (Murray) Jack Lovell and Charles John Hurst is my great grandfather through his eldest son Edwin John Hurst (1898 - 1958) and wife Lillian.
My mother was their only daughter Gladys Hurst who married Murray Carbonel Lovell in the mid 40's.
Members of the Hurst family continued to reside in Laundry Road certainly into the 60's and I remember in my early teens dropping in to cadge a cigarette from the twenty-something Diana who I had a crush on.
It has been a long time since there was any activity on this post but if you do receive this I would welcome a line from you.
Jack
My name is Michael, named after a son of Charles John Hurst. That son was Louis Frank Hurst but everyone called him Mick, hence my name. His elder daughter May Pauline confirmed that when she helped me in my family history of Pearce. Hilda May Pearce married ‘Mick’. I recall visiting their house with adjoining shop/off licence in Nursling as a young lad. I lived in Warren Avenue which is parallel to Laundry Road.
If my memories of my uncle ‘Mick’ and his family interest you please make contact.
I am now called Mike but that is another story!

Back