Craig Stringer's Titanic People CD-Rom

Hello Carolyn - Here is my printout on Mr. G. - I think it shows that he not married:
Gillespie, Mr. William. Missing, En route to Coffee Palace, Abbeyleix. 1031, Harwood Street, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. Irish citizen. Law clerk. Aged 34 years,
(From: Mansion House Titanic Relief Fund Booklet, March 1913)
Number 44. Gillespie, mother. Grant £75.

Dear Brian

Thanks for your help. The info I have indicates his residence in Abbeyleix, Ireland and that he was en route to Vancouver, B.C. on a business trip for the Viscount who owned the carpet co. that furnished some finery for Titanic, according to Senan in his book. I'm glad to have the actual Canadian address. If William had a wife, it must've been a well kept secret.
Best regards, Carolyn

Hello Craig -

I've been in touch with Senan and he can find no evidence that Gillespie had a wife. He lives close to Abbeyleix and has looked in all the records of Queens County. It would seem to me Church of Ireland archives would have a record of the marriage. According to his birth certificate William was 31. Can you enlighten this old lady further? I'd be most grateful.
Best regards, Carolyn

Hello Carolyn,
I am sorry, but I can add nothing more. The note on Gillespie I came across years ago when I was first starting out. It was in a 1912 newspaper, but for the life of me I can't find which one. It seems the paper was in error. Most of my Titanic related notes have been in storage since last November when we moved house, but if I come across anything I will let you know.
Sincerely
Craig

Craig, is the information you mention on your CD ROM? I think it's page 88 on 2nd Class Passengers. You mention that W.H. Gillespie left a wife behind in Ireland when he was to sail to the US, yet his mother was given compensation for his loss and does not mention his wife. Is that the newspaper error you mentioned? It looks like a misunderstanding from the reporter's interpretation of events. You ever heard of a reporter making mistakes before? Mysterious.....

It's not only a matter of reporters making mistakes, but editors spicing up the stories reporters write to sell newspapers. Depending on the editor and the angle they want to sell, a story can become sentimental or salacious. It was called "yellow journalism" in 1912, today we call it "tabloid journalism."

Kyrila

Craig, I'm another one of those 'hope I didn't put the proverbial foot in mouth syndrome'. I should have said the CD is remarkable and eye friendly. I take info. kind of seriously - just following up on it and trust the rest of the CD is correct. Hearing you're a journalist makes me a little thoughtful
happy.gif

Kyrila, hope you're not an editor! (Haven't got room for another foot)! Or are you speaking from experience being a journalist yourself?
happy.gif

As folks say, LOL! (hope that means lots of laughs) Being an ordinary British person I don't understand.....doh!

Christina

Christina, it's a long story, and if you want to email me I'll be happy to tell you about it. You can send me a private message through my profile.

Kyrila

Thanks, Craig, for your help. It's possible that the reporter overlooked something - like Eliza being the mother and not the widow. Anyway, if you ever find out which newspaper and where, please let me know. The Cork Constitution was where "death notice"appeared on April 25, 1912. It simply refers to William as "fourth son of the late Richard and Mrs. Gillespie, Abbeyleix, aged 31"

All the best.

Carolyn

Christina, you didn't put your foot in your mouth, and you are right to expect information to be correct. The CD contains the information I had collected and researched over sixteen or so years. As the writer I did my best to present the information I had. I know that the disc is not the last word on the subject, and there are many others who have done as much and more than me on the passengers and crew. Now, nearly three years on, I know that there is other information that could be added, and other biographies improved, but as I said, it was my best effort at the time. I'm not a reporter, and I'm sorry if I gave that impression. I was a teacher, until recently, when the British Education system finally got too much for me. I am glad that you have found the CD useful. I proved something to myself when I finished it.
Best regards
Craig

Craig
Well, I've taken the foot out of my mouth to read this and put it straight back in again
happy.gif

Somewhere back I mentioned that I sometimes give a kneejerk reaction to things but since reading such a lot of information and comments I would have thought I'd stopped that silly attitude of mine!
happy.gif
Really though, Craig, I still think it's one of the best CD's on information there is. The comments given by quite a number of folks stand testament to that and can only help others hungry for information. Thank you for your hard work on research. Will there be any more on the way?
Christina

Hi Christina,
Thanks for your kind words. I don't think there will be any more Titanic biographies on the way from me. I have been working on the Carpathia passengers. They received such praise from the Titanic's survivors, and yet for the most part are nameless. I've come across some fascinating stories investigating them. I have also been working a project similar to my CD but about the people who sailed on the last voyage on the Empress of Ireland. Alas, there isn't the market out there for the Empress as there is the Titanic, so I doubt it will ever see the light of day.
Again, many thanks.
Craig

Hello Craig,
<<alas>>

As has been said many times before, there will always be the Titanic... but I would like to add tho' that may be, if it wasn't for chroniclers and writers none of us would learn anything, especially about such devastating events such as the Empress and the heroic efforts of passengers and crews that get involved in real tragedy. Their sufferings and aftermaths would never be appreciated without the written word. Someone has to give these events a voice in whatever way is acceptable and understood. This century is not called a learning curve for nothing!
So, please keep going. There are people still out there hungry for knowledge of these important events, I have no doubt. I speak from experience.
Much gratitude,
Christina
happy.gif

Back