Cross-channel passengers (Lenox-Conyngham)

I read that Eileen attended the 1988 survivors' re-union but can't seem to find anything more about her. Has anyone ever met her or know when she passed away?

Best Wishes,

James M.

Hi James,

There was a large article that appeared in the 'Titanic Commutator' on Eileen Lenox Conyngham Schefer. (the Titanic Historical Society's Journal- May-July 1994) She passed away on October 8, 1993 resulting from a massive stroke. She is buried on Staten Island with her husband and his parents. If someone doesn't beat me to it, I will type up some info on Eileen for you!

Hi, James!

I was fortunate enough to sit next to Eileen at the 1988 THS banquet. She was a very nice lady, a bit on the quiet side but also blessed with a marvelous sense of humor. She had an interest in the paranormal, too; when she learned that my book on Titanic/psychic accounts was about to come out, she held the folks at our table spellbound with a story (which she claimed was true) of a death in her family that was accompanied by the shrieking of a banshee. It was quite an experience to hear such an eerie story from someone who clearly believed it to be true.

Eileen was a nice person, and I enjoyed meeting her (as did all the other folks who attended that memorable THS convention.)

All my best,

George

Hi Eric and George,

Thank you for your replies. Like so many survivors, Eileen sounds like she was very special. I wish I could have had the pleasure of meeting her.

Best Wishes,

James

[Moderator's Note: Two separate threads have been merged to form this one. MAB]

Mrs Alice Lenox-Conhyngham travelled in company of her children
-Miss Eileen Lenox-Conyngham
-Master Dennis Lenox-Conyngham

[Moderator's Note: This message, originally posted as a separate thread, has been moved to this pre-existing thread discussing the same Family and the thread has been renamed. MAB]

Not quite, Joan. Miss Alice Lenox-Conyngham was unmarried. She was travelling with her sister-in-law Barbara, who was the mother of the two children also in the group.

Hello Folks

I am researching children on board the Titanic for a book. Is there anyone who knows if a) there is photograph of the young Eileen Lenox Conyngham out there that I might use and b) I believe she wrote a charming letter on board the crossing. Did she write a more detailed account later on? Thank you so much in advance for any help you can furnish me with. :)

What was interesting about her letter was that she talks about an ‘accident’ but the accident she is referring too is because the Captain left Southampton port at too great a speed, the large wake caused moored boats to be damaged in the harbour.
I’m sure there is a photo of a young Eileen somewhere, would have to hunt down one of my family for that. Regards Thomas Lenox Conyngham

Hello Folks

I am researching children on board the Titanic for a book. Is there anyone who knows if a) there is photograph of the young Eileen Lenox Conyngham out there that I might use and b) I believe she wrote a charming letter on board the crossing. Did she write a more detailed account later on? Thank you so much in advance for any help you can furnish me with. :)
The letter that my grandfather’s cousin wrote was bought by a pub in Ireland called An Poitin Still in the 1980’s for about two thousand euros…. I think. There were two letters, one from her mother Barbara and one from Eileen to her governess. One of these letters is in Springhill, Moneymore, Co. Derry, Ireland, which is the family home and the other was, and maybe still is, in the public house in Rathcoole. They have a small museum in the bar. They will certainly have a picture of a young Eileen at Springhill, which is now run by the National trust. I hope this helps

What was interesting about her letter was that she talks about an ‘accident’ but the accident she is referring too is because the Captain left Southampton port at too great a speed, the large wake caused moored boats to be damaged in the harbour.
I’m sure there is a photo of a young Eileen somewhere, would have to hunt down one of my family for that. Regards Thomas Lenox Conyngham
I have just talked with my father who said the ’accident‘ was that the Titanics wake, in Southampton, broke the mooring ropes of another large ship that then swung out and nearly hit the Titanic. I think.

I have just talked with my father who said the ’accident‘ was that the Titanics wake, in Southampton, broke the mooring ropes of another large ship that then swung out and nearly hit the Titanic. I think.
Yes and that other ship was the New York. There are a couple of Father Browne photographs of the incident.

Yes and that other ship was the New York. There are a couple of Father Browne photographs of the incident.
Just looking at Eileen’s letter and she writes ‘this ship broke the ropes of another ship the Oceanic as it went floating about and knocked into this ship but they got it allright after a bit.’ Were the Oceanic and the New York both damaged? I t seems Alice is saying that the Titanic was also involved in a collision!
Also, my father tells me the letter from the Titanic that is/was in the pub in Rathcoole was written by his Great Aunt Alice, and not by Barbara, but the last time he visited the letter it was in bad condition and under appreciated.

Back