Cross-channel passengers (Lenox-Conyngham)

As far as I am aware, the Titanic and the New York came very close during that incident but there was no actual contact as such.

It seems Alice is saying that the Titanic was also involved in a collision!
Not at that time, but she might have been referring to the collision over 4 days later.

As far as I am aware, the Titanic and the New York came very close during that incident but there was no actual contact as such.

Not at that time, but she might have been referring to the collision over 4 days later.
Here is an excerpt from her letter

‘ the ship started at about 12.15 then we had a long delay because this ship broke the ropes of another ship the Oceanic as it went floating about and knocked into this ship but they got it alright after a bit. ’

Do you think Eileen was mistaken in naming the other ship ‘Oceanic’? And she does say ‘knocked into this ship’?? But as she was only eleven at the time I will give her the benefit of doubt.

The other letter that my family posted, which was post marked from Queensland, was from Alice. She was writing to a child, Duff, in Cambridge and wrote something like ‘ just thought that you would like a letter from biggest ship in the world on her maiden voyage’
My father commented that he was impressed that it only took a day for the letter to be delivered in Cambridge from Queensland in County Cork, Southern Ireland, as he was the one who examined the post mark.

Back