I am sorry, I did not know where to put this thread (Again)

Why are Browne, The Mays' and the Odells' on the same Ticket? And their Fares are counted together?

Then... would it be only 1 ticket for all of them. or would they have had 1ticket each with the same number on it?

Regards
Bryan C

Hello Bryan,

Below is a copy of a section of the CTL showing the Odell ticket details. Out to the right-hand side under Refunds is £4. - It is my understanding that this is because Mr Odell did not sail.

There is no ticket entry on the CTL for Father Browne.
Odell_ticket-100520.jpg

Ticket no 84 was purchased by Herbert Odell for a family party of 6, including himself. Richard and Stanley May were his wife's brothers. Before sailing, Mr Odell changed his plans, dropped out of the group and obtained his rebate on the ticket price (he had originally paid 24 pounds for six persons). Perhaps Frank Browne made a very late appearance and it was an administrative convenience to book him in as a 'replacement' for Mr Odell. Unless, of course, Messrs Odell and Browne were engaged in a last-minute poker game in a smoke-filled dockside tavern and ... nah, perhaps not!
:)

The Fr Browne 'ticket' is a very interesting affair...

The letter from Jas Scott & Co. takes pleasure in enclosing a pass for Fr Browne from Southampton to Queenstown.

Fr Browne is an amateur photographer, and an account unmistakably written by him appears in the Cork Constitution straight after his disembarkation.

Since he does not appear on any contract ticket list, it would seem he got a freebie and was not ungrateful.

On the other hand, the Bishop of Cloyne (Queenstown area), his uncle. had just come into a tidy sum in libel damages from the Dundee Courier.

Must ask Eddie O'Donnell again next time I see him. I seem to recall that he's just as vague as the rest of us on this point.

Senan,

You're right in that Fr. Browne's ticket is an interesting issue. Even if he got a freebie, he should still have been listed as a passenger. There were a few "complementary" travelers on the Titanic and all are listed on the contract ticket list. Unless british port to british port was somehow an exception (but all the other Southampton to Queenstown passengers are listed).

Fr. Browne did not know the Odell party before the voyage and was not traveling with them or on their ticket. Its interesting to note that if it were not for his photographic evidence of having been on board, we may have never known that he sailed on the Titanic.

Regards,

Daniel.

There are a few other oddities with the CTL. Such as the "full" refunds for 3 passengers, two of whom are accepted as having been onboard while the 3rd was not. Although thanks to the Southampton PL we have the ticket number of the 6 American Line employees their ticket is not listed on the CTL. - It may well have been another freebie.

All,

I don't know too much about the actual tickets, but I assume that one ticket was issued for however many names were on the ticket. In 3rd class however, when the berthing cards were assigned, even though there may have been 12 people on the same ticket, a card was handed out to each person. I guess this was more for immigration purposes when the passengers reached New York, as they were required to wear the card pinned to their jacket in a prominant place.

As this did not apply to 2nd and 1st class passengers, I assume they just boarded and disembarked with however many names written on one ticket.

Regards,

Daniel.

Passengers in all classes were provided with a numbered contract ticket with all the booking details, including several individual names/ages if applicable, plus the detailed list of contractual obligations. Each ticket had a tear-off 'counterpart' section on which these details were duplicated. This was to be removed and presented to the emigration officer at the port of embarkation, while the remainder of the ticket was to be retained at least until the voyage was over.

3rd Class passengers were required to give up the detachable 'counterpart' section directly to an emigration official during the inspection procedures before boarding, and were provided with their individual medical inspection cards in return. These served also as boarding passes.

Contract tickets supplied to cabin passengers had a similar detachable 'counterpart', but this need not be given up until after they had boarded, when it was the responsibility of the ship's owners or master (rather than the cabin passengers themselves) to pass these slips of paper on to the emigration officials.

So the cabin passengers, having escaped the emigration inspection onshore, needed a separate boarding pass. This was sent in advance along with the contract ticket. Unlike the tickets, these passes were not numbered and did not even have space for filling in the passenger's name - just the vessel's name and the sailing date. The sole surviving (unused) pass, however, does have the Reverend Holden's name written rather untidily across the top. I'd guess that a card was provided for each individual, and that they were collected from them as the passengers boarded.

The letter sent to Frank Browne mentions that a 'pass' was enclosed, which was presumably a standard, un-numbered boarding card. It's not clear whether a ticket was enclosed as well, but since Browne was travelling only from one part of Britain to another, he wouldn't have needed to produce a ticket 'counterpart' for the emigration officials. He had been provided with a boarding pass and a letter of introduction to the Purser. If his passage had been specially arranged as a freebie, maybe that's all he needed.

Back