Cunard White Star's Ten Largest

Should she, Brent? Taking Daniel Odysseus' list as correct, even with Olympic and Aquitania flipped, the "top ten" would end with the second Mauretania. Except to know that they were close in size, I don't know which of these two---Homeric and Mauretania II---was larger, or by how much.

This thread addresses Cunard/Cunard White Star ships, Paul, and Titanic of course never belonged to Cunard or CWS, unlike Olympic, Majestic and Homeric.

There's a separate thread in the White Star subtopic for White Star's "top ten."

The list should look like this IMHO:

1.Queen Mary 2
2.Queen Elizabeth
3.Queen Mary
4.Queen Elizabeth 2
5.Majestic
6.Berengaria
7.Olympic
8.Aquitania
9.Mauretania 2
10.Homeric

Homeric was larger than Mauretania 2.

<<>>

Oh! That must have been a typo! :p

1.Queen Mary 2
2.Queen Elizabeth
3.Queen Mary
4.Queen Elizabeth 2
5.Majestic
6.Imperator
7.Olympic
8.Aquitania
9.Mauretania II
10.Mauretania
11.Lusitania

Oops! I meant to say that Homeric was bigger than Mauretania 1, not Mauretania 2.
I also forgot all about the Royal Viking Sun.

Brent

Gabriel---

Once again, you've omitted Royal Viking Sun, which should be #9, dropping Mauretania II to #10, and Mauretania I and Lusitania out of the top ten altogether. (Homeric and Caronia II, btw, would be ## 11 and 12, with the 1907 "giants" as 13 and 14.)

Brent---

OK.

Given all this, are we then agreed that the list should be:

1. Queen Mary 2
2. Queen Elizabeth
3. Queen Mary
4. Queen Elizabeth 2
5. Majestic
6. Berengaria
7. Olympic
8. Aquitania
9. Royal Viking Sun
10. Mauretania II

(At least until QV makes her MV in January?)

?

Hello,

Yes, Queen Victoria, at 90,000 gross tons, will become the second largest Cunard ship ever built when it joins the fleet later this year. In that case, I guess that the Mauretania II will have to be dropped from this list in December.

Sincerely,
Tom

hi everyone, based on what all of you have said i have put a list together of cunards top '15' ships

(i have put them in order of length, not grt)

1.Queen mary 2
2.Queen elizabeth (2010)
3.Queen elizabeth (1938)
4.Queen mary
5.Queen victoria (by 1 ft!)
6.Queen elizabeth 2
7.majestic
8.berengaria
9.olympic
10.aquitania
11.mauretania (1907)
12.lusitania
13.homeric
14.mauretania II (1938)
15.royal viking sun

In terms of size as of today [2018]:
1. Queen Mary 2
2.Queen Elizabeth (2010)
3.Queen Victoria
4.Queen Elizabeth (1938)
5.Queen Mary
6.Queen Elizabeth 2
7.Majestic
8.Berengaria
9.Olympic
10.Aquitania
11.royal viking sun
12.mauretania II (1938)
13.homeric
14.caronia II
15.mauretania (1907)
16.lusitania

Interestingly, the 4th largest ship [1938 Queen Elizabeth] owned by Cunard line as of now would be the largest to become a shipwreck, with the next largest being Majestic [largest completed White Star Line ship ever and to sink] and Caronia [all sunk after Cunard service]. Lusitania would be the largest an most famous of Cunard ships to sink in Cunard service and without being salvaged in hull parts or touched by non-divers [in deep waters], then.

Just note, George, that many of the ships in your list were never with Cunard White Star (1934-1949), specifically Queen Mary 2, Queen Elizabeth (2010), Queen Victoria,Queen Elizabeth 2, Royal Viking Sun, and Lusitania

Back