Hey , I just wanted to know , since the cherub in the grand staircase was recovered , how about the candelabra on D Deck? Was it recovered , or is it still in the reception room wreck , waiting to be found?

It is the base of the cherub from forward A Deck and one of the small cherub of the C Deck aft which were recovered (both in the debris field). Part of the candelabra was discovered during the 2010 wreck expedition in the debris field aft of the bow wreck.

Is there a picture? And another question , it was like the dining room door if I'm right? So my theory now is that it got undone when the reception room was under and when the ship broke in half , it got pushed out. Am I riht?

Also , show me the source or picture you got it from.

What I mean is , how did you know, and show me if you have anything having to do with the reception room candelabra, supposedly any photos of it?

I have also seen a wreck photo of the grand staircase claiming to say something's the candelabra, but if you ask me , this "object" does not even appear like the actual piece.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ey6XGv8ddTI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> here is a video relating, showing the candelabra , and an honor and glory video.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Candelabra remains were recently discovered during the 2010 expedition. Like other items it left the bow wreck though the break area. (One of the wood carvings from a D Deck pillar was recovered later in April 1912).

1559547_10202890490685450_2036063287_o.jpg

It is my understanding that the entire grand staircase was totally destroyed when the ship sank and ripped out the top of the ship.

I'm curious though was the stunning Electric candelabra ever found that was at the foot of the stairs on the D-deck landing? The bronze Cherub which was found was the smaller one from the aft staircase correct?

Also what happened to the Candelabra on Olympic? There doesn't seem to be any photos of it in colour or evidence online of its current location. My only guess is that it might have been removed/disposed of as they tried to modernise before the entire ship was scrapped. I did hear the entire staircase was painted Avocado green on Olympic during her later years. I also haven't been able to find anything about Olympic's cherub lamps either.

It is my understanding that the entire grand staircase was totally destroyed when the ship sank and ripped out the top of the ship.

I'm curious though was the stunning Electric candelabra ever found that was at the foot of the stairs on the D-deck landing? The bronze Cherub which was found was the smaller one from the aft staircase correct?

Regarding the D Deck Candelabra, see post #4.
The small Cherub might have been from the aft staircase from C Deck (as it was discovered next to the stern section) but also the forward one had those small ones (on B&C Deck).

Also what happened to the Candelabra on Olympic? There doesn't seem to be any photos of it in colour or evidence online of its current location. My only guess is that it might have been removed/disposed of as they tried to modernise before the entire ship was scrapped. I did hear the entire staircase was painted Avocado green on Olympic during her later years. I also haven't been able to find anything about Olympic's cherub lamps either.

Why should they remove the candelabra?
It was sold during the auction to the Albion Works and placed there at the staircase.

It's actually no longer there. It's a mystery where the candelabra went/where it is today.

The Olympic's Twenty-one light candleabra that sat on the plinth at the foot of the whites swans staircase balustrade, eventually found itself installed into Thomas Ward and Sons head office, in the Albion Works in Sheffield. When Thomas Ward Ltd was taken over by Rio Tinto in the early 1980s, all the fittings from the Albion works disappeared during this transition period, including the Twenty-one light candelabra from the Olympic.

Thomas W Ward Ltd, coal, metal & machinery merchants, Albion Works, Savile Street, Sheffield.

Hi everyone! Found a picture of the candelabra from Olympic post scrap! I thought you'd all be very interested as I've found this picture to be practically impossible to find.

**This is a public image please do not delete**
Candelabra from Olympic.jpg

It's just so sad how the people at the Albion paintworks seemed to miss the significance of what was in front of their faces. It really makes me angry when people are so careless with historic objects, and have as much reverence for them as for an empty Starbucks coffee cup!!! Of course I could be wrong--maybe these items were removed, catalogued, and stored away in some warehouse, and became forgotten over time. There was a cache of staircase paneling and newel posts found some 20?years ago that had been stored since Olympic was broken up. I like to think that this the case with the Albion paint fixtures.

I absolutely agree! Nothing makes me more upset than the mishandling of historical objects and buildings. One, because that stuff just will never ever be made again. The craftsmanship and materials just are too expensive now and it's not common to have such intricate design anymore. But also, it's respect for history and the story it has to tell.

I would like to think that the Albion company was responsible with their objects, but most likely it just was stripped when the company went under and either they no longer knew the significance of those objects or didn't care. Post Edwardian period there wasn't much interest in objects from that time (or the previous Victorian era) due to modernism and the Art Deco period gaining popularity. I fear they were neglected and discarded due to disinterest. Besides the obvious purchases of lets say the A La Carte restaurants paneling or the Lounges fixtures, I fear things just got scattered and lost in time. I am SURE this still exists somewhere but it's probably in an executives or stripper's (building stripper not the nudie kind haha) attic/basement under a sheet where it's been for years

Back