Damage Assessment

Hi Sam,

Not quite sure about that!

Olliver could have dropped the folded piece of paper, or it may have got wet, or Olliver could have been diverted due to some other event.

Far better for there to be direct face to face communication between Bell and Smith or via the telephone system.

If Bell wasn’t hanging around waiting for a call then one of the junior Officers in the engine room could have taken the call and got Bell to call back pronto?

Otherwise, what was the point of the bridge to engine room telephone?

We had all of this at the Grenfell Tower Inquiry with the London Fire Brigade using “runners” to take messages from the command unit(s) to the Tower. Rather than use their mobile phones! The “runner” system didn’t work!
Julian what's your angle here ?

Oliver didn't drop the note. He found Chiefie Bell and delivered it.

On this occasion the runner system worked fine

Can't say I've ever read any work from Titanic historian who saw this as a point of controversy.

Olliver could have dropped the folded piece of paper, or it may have got wet, or Olliver could have been diverted due to some other event.

Far better for there to be direct face to face communication between Bell and Smith or via the telephone system.
I am sorry Julian but I disagree. That sort of "what if?" accident can happen with almost any situation in life and it would be impossible to insure against all of them. "What if Joe Bloggs had a heart attack while driving on the motorway?", "What if the open heart surgeon's knife slipped badly?", "What if my son broke his arm at school rugby?"

We, even relative oldies like you and me, are far too used nowadays on being able to contact anyone anywhere due to the mobile phone and social media networks and so might forget what life was like back in 1912. The Titanic was a massive ship and in relation to that there were comparatively very few telephones in fixed places.............

..................which were useful under normal working conditions, including reporting a problem. But after the ship it an iceberg and started flooding rapidly, the routine of those deep below in the Boiler and Engine Rooms would have been badly disrupted. Bell and his assistant engineers would have been busy rushing about to determine the extent and seriousness of the damage, potential consequences and practical countermeasures like pumping, WTDs etc. Despite the availability of a few telephones, it would have been practically difficult to run to one to report or update about a flooding or related problem. Those guys back in 1912 would have been far more used to dispatching a handy sailor runner carrying messages to the bridge if such was required.

If Bell wasn’t hanging around waiting for a call then one of the junior Officers in the engine room could have taken the call and got Bell to call back pronto?
Bell certainly would not have been hanging around a telephone waiting to make or receive calls when he would be urgently required in a lot of places to assess the situation and make decisions. Even if had someone standing by the telephone (which he actually might have ordered, if only as a standby measure), how is that someone going to find Bell to pass on an urgent message from the bridge without leaving his post? Or, if Bell found something that he felt the Captain ought to know about asap but was far away from the nearest telephone, dispatching a runner would have been the quickest and most practical way of doing it; the runner would also know where to find the CE when he returned with the Captain's response.

Last edited:
I could tell you that one thing that phone was used for was to relay the engine revolutions to the bridge at the end of each watch. I'm sure there were other uses for that direct line whenever something other than what was communicated by engine telegraphs was needed. E.g., to allow the opening of WT doors after they were closed from the bridge. However, Bell was not always in the engine room when on duty. Like Capt. Smith, he did not stand a regular watch. He came and went as he pleased. There was a phone in his cabin that was connected to the main engine room, but not to the bridge. There was also a phone in the main engine room to all 6 boiler rooms.

Hi Arun and Seumas, and also now Sam!

I’m quite open to criticism of me, and welcome debate.

I take on board all your comments.

I like to probe and explore. Perhaps sometimes ‘think outside the box’. Apologies if that annoys some.

Cheers,
Julian

Hi Arun and Seumas, and also now Sam!

I’m quite open to criticism of me, and welcome debate.

I take on board all your comments.

I like to probe and explore. Perhaps sometimes ‘think outside the box’. Apologies if that annoys some.

Cheers,
Julian
Julian, speaking for myself I would call our exchanges as "stimulating discussion" and certainly not personal criticism. You raise a lot of interesting and involving questions, which in turn trigger opinions and further discussion on the subject. I see nothing wrong in that and feel that's what these forums are for. Just because I disagreed with you about the phone vs runner to exchange messages between the bridge and bowels of the sinking ship does not mean that the subject was not relevant. it very much was and various events and activities during the sinking is my favorite Titanic thread.

There was also a phone in the main engine room to all 6 boiler rooms.
That's interesting, Sam. Did that mean that each of the 6 boiler rooms had its own separate extension connected to the main phone in the Engine Room?

However, Bell was not always in the engine room when on duty. Like Capt. Smith, he did not stand a regular watch. He came and went as he pleased. There was a phone in his cabin that was connected to the main engine room, but not to the bridg
Thanks again. In that case, if CE Bell or someone else in the boiler or engine rooms wanted to phone the bridge urgently about something, which telephone would they use? Where was it physically located?

That's interesting, Sam. Did that mean that each of the 6 boiler rooms had its own separate extension connected to the main phone in the Engine Room?
No, there could not have been extensions as the Grahams 'loudspeaking Navy telephones' of that era operated on a purely one-to-one basis. The small electric signal from the calling instrument was not sufficient to operate more than one receiving instrument.

For the same reason there would have been no additional ringer bells or buzzers. In fact there may not have been any bells - they don't appear in any of the Grahams catalogue descriptions until much later. The main audible indication that the telephone was 'ringing' was that you could hear the caller shouting into his phone through the 'loud speaking' horn without having to hold the earpiece up to your ear. 'Loud speaking' was a relative term though. The Grahams advertisements proudly state that you could hear the telephone up to 20 feet away in quiet enough conditions!

Apart from the voice indication the telephone models used in the Titanic had an indicator lamp so you could tell if the phone was 'ringing' provided you were looking at it. It is possible that they also had buzzers, though the early ones were not much louder than the speech from the 'loud speaker' which is why later Grahams patents (around 1920) are mainly about improvements in buzzers and bells.

The phone system was fine for communicating with somebody who was near his phone and expecting a message. It would not have been a reliable way to find somebody and deliver an urgent message.

Last edited:
The phone system was fine for communicating with somebody who was near his phone and expecting a message. It would not have been a reliable way to find somebody and deliver an urgent message.
Thanks for that detailed information, Richard. Clearly, from the layout that you have described, I can see that the telephone connections in the boiler rooms would have been useful in sending out isolated messages and perhaps receiving one that was expected. But under the noisy and somewhat chaotic conditions that followed the collision with the iceberg and subsequent flooding, the phones would be good for sending one or two urgent messages to the bridge but impractical as means for continued 2-way communication.

The main audible indication that the telephone was 'ringing' was that you could hear the caller shouting into his phone through the 'loud speaking' horn without having to hold the earpiece up to your ear.
To those interested, that explanation from Richard is why Fleet called out, "Are you there?" when he called the bridge to report an "iceberg right ahead." Some people have pointed to that phrase, are you there, as some sort of proof that there was a significant delay in Moody's answering the phone when Fleet called down. There wasn't, only the relatively short time needed for Moody to get to the phone to say, "Yes. What did you see?"

The complete exchange of words between the two comes from Fleet's testimony.

For the same reason there would have been no additional ringer bells or buzzers. In fact there may not have been any bells - they don't appear in any of the Grahams catalogue descriptions until much later. The main audible indication that the telephone was 'ringing' was that you could hear the caller shouting into his phone through the 'loud speaking' horn without having to hold the earpiece up to your ear.
To those interested, that explanation from Richard is why Fleet called out, "Are you there?" when he called the bridge to report an "iceberg right ahead." Some people have pointed to that phrase, are you there, as some sort of proof that there was a significant delay in Moody's answering the phone when Fleet called down. There wasn't, only the relatively short time needed for Moody to get to the phone to say, "Yes. What did you see?"

Good point Sam and Richard. We are so used to the traditional telephone greeting of "hello!" that it is difficult to picture the difference and limitations with shipboard phones of 1912.

I believe either CE Bell or one of his assistants used the telephone to inform the bridge about the flooding in the first few minutes after the impact. But thereafter they would have been too stretched and busy with damage assessment and conter-measures to remain within the vicinity of the phone connected to the bridge.

I’m very grateful to @Richard C Elliott for his contributions on the telephone system on Titanic.

I’m not sure I entirely agree with him in the sense that you could have a parallel system that you could ring a buzzer or bell to the phone to alert the other end of the line that a call was wanting to be answered. Not the phone ringing as such, as we now understand, but a separate set of wires to call attention to the call that needed to be answered by a buzzer or even a light bulb.

I certainly recall constructing a very simple telephone device with my brother when I was in my early teens and a buzzer and 6 volt battery. And the parts of an old BT telephone handset. If I recall correctly, the buzzer system was separate wiring, as indeed it must have been.

If I could make a telephone system with buzzer alarm when I was 11 or 12, I don’t understand why there was no buzzer alarm system on Titanic. Or why it depended on “loud speakers” as an alert of a message wanting to be answered.

There is a Gilbert and Sullivan film ‘Topsy-Turvy’ that shows that the telephone system was quite well developed well before Titanic. But with caveats of course.

But I find it difficult to imagine that the system on Titanic could not have been improved very simply by a very simple buzzer alert parallel system - or even ringing of a bell alarm system.

I don’t think we can discard the severe criticism of the “runner system” from the Grenfell Tower Inquiry.

I’m not sure I entirely agree with him in the sense that you could have a parallel system that you could ring a buzzer or bell to the phone to alert the other end of the line that a call was wanting to be answered. Not the phone ringing as such, as we now understand, but a separate set of wires to call attention to the call that needed to be answered by a buzzer or even a light bulb. There is a Gilbert and Sullivan film ‘Topsy-Turvy’ that shows that the telephone system was quite well developed well before Titanic. But with caveats of course.
You might be right in theory Julian, but we have to consider what practical use a telephone system like the one you describe would have been after the accident and more improtantly, what difference it could have made in the final outcome. Unfortunately, I don't believe that it would have made any.

Given the sheer size and complicated anatomy of the Titanic, I am sure that the designers would have considered best practical options for internal communications. Even if you argue that the telephone system that they put in could have been better, that would have applied only to routine exchanges during a normal voyage.

I don’t think we can discard the severe criticism of the “runner system” from the Grenfell Tower Inquiry.
I am sorry but I completely disagree with the comparison, which is like saying that the Allies would have won WW1 much faster if they had used Stealth Bombers against the Imperial German Forces. The Grenfell Tower Fire was in 2017, 105 years after the Titanic disaster and even discounting the widely different circumstances of the two accidents, contemporary communications and rescue techonolgy and facilties were not even a dream back in 1912. The Officers and crew of the Titanic had to make do with what they had and under the circumstances and they did the best they could. As Sam and Richard have pointed out, the telephone links they had would have been useful with routine communications during a normal voyage; after the ship impacted with the iceberg, I fully agree with you that either CE Bell or someone under him made a quick call to the bridge about flooding of BR6, which was a key part of the information for Captain Smith to realize that the damage was serious. But after that, Bell and his team would have been too busy, scattered and on the move with full damage assessment (which, unlike us with hindsight, they had no clear idea of at the time) and no matter what sort of parallel or other telephone system of the time they had in place, it would have been of limited practical use. On the other hand, dispatching runners - trimmers, greasers, any standby crew - would have been the most practical and flexible method.

We also have to look at this from another angle - if the Titanic had the most sophisticated parallel (or whatever) shipboard telephone system that they could come up with in 1912, how much difference would it have made either in the circumstances leading to the accident, the ensuing damage and flooding pattern or available counter-measures? Would it have saved any more lives? I think you know the answer.

I’m not sure I entirely agree with him in the sense that you could have a parallel system that you could ring a buzzer or bell to the phone to alert the other end of the line that a call was wanting to be answered. Not the phone ringing as such, as we now understand, but a separate set of wires to call attention to the call that needed to be answered by a buzzer or even a light bulb.
You could indeed have such a system using the technology of the day but the relevant point for this discussion is that they did not, on that ship at that point in time. There was, in fact an indicator light on the phone, though not a very prominent one.

Last edited:
In situations like that, a mobile phone system, where the communication devices can go with the team commanders and leaders, makes a lot of sense. But in 1912 the phones were fixed in place, connected by hard wires to other phone locations. Those used in the machinery spaces, on the fore and after bridges, and crow's nest, etc., didn't even run through a switchboard. Even if a person was required to stand by a phone, say in the engine room, they would still have to send somebody to find the chief engineer, for example, and then the chief would have to decide if a taking the call was more important than what he was already doing. Then he would have to run back to the engine room to take the call, then run back to where he was or do something else, depending on what was said over the phone.
In the known case involving the message from Smith to Bell carried down by QM Oliver, Bell decided that whatever it was that Smith wanted him to do in that note, was not important enough to interrupt what he was already involved in. Bell's message to Olliver to take back to Smith was that he'll get to it when he has the chance.

It is also possible that Smith's message had to be delivered in writing. I seem to recall a discussion in another thread suggesting that the message might have been a request to pump ballast to correct the list, for which White Star rules required the engineer to have written authorisation from the commander. Lightoller also mentions somewhere in his testimony that certain instructions regarding engine revolutions had to be sent in writing.

Back