Damage to stern

I recently read that the damage to the stern after the Titanic sank was caused by an implosion as the water pressure built up on descent followed by an explosion as the trapped air finally escaped from the ship. Surely the latter would have caused a large "bubble" to rapidly rise to the surface. Did any survivors report such a thing?

I'm aware of survivors reporting several explosions after the ship went under. I don't know that any saw the water which would have been foaming around the area where it had to come up. Most of the people in the best possible position to know didn't live long enough to be fished out of the water.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

The darkness wouldn't have helped for bubble spotting either, especially if the air surfaced away from the point where the stern went under.

Regards

Sam

Hi Reggie,

Some survivors recalled a smokey pall hanging over the spot where the Titanic sank which gradually disappeared. I believe the stern only imploded after sinking a considerable distance. The air would have been squashed and interspersed with the water. These particles would have dispersed on their descent, and hence the "smokey pall".

Just my 2p worth.

Ben

Hello all-

Charles Jaughin (who is purported to be the last person of the sinking stern) stated that the water became "noticeably warmer" just after the ship sank. Pelligrino states in his book that the stern blew up at around 300 feet. This would have released warm air. At least these are my thoughts witht the info that I have.

Daniel

Back