Denzil John Jarvis

Aidan 'The Crest' Stoneygate is now the Regency
Hotel at 358/360 London Road Leicester or can be viewed at www.the-regency-hotel.com Denzil John
owned the property which was originally two
semidetached homes he lived at 360 whilst he rented out 358.There is an elderly Lady residing in Leicester who lived at 358 during the 20's,
The property has been a number of things over the years including a Nunnery and also a nursing
home.It has been sympathetically restored by the present owners but still boasts some of the original features including the original fireplace in the front room of 360.There is also
a large mirror hanging in the hall upstairs which
bears several marks that bear a remarkable
similarity to items of Furniture that we still have in our family.I can not confirm definitely
that it was made by Denzil as I have not been able to fully examine it off the wall,but it bears a style and marks that I have seen my father use many a time over the years.
There should also be a picture of the house on the site I tried to upload one a few days ago.
regards
Andy Jarvis

Andy

Did you know that in addition to travelling to America to market and defend his carburettor patent Denzil Jarvis had also been appointed by another local Leicestershire engineer Percival A Bentley to act as his representative in the marketing of a new electric clock. The clocks were manufactured by Mr Bentley’s Leicestershire company: The Earth Driven Clock Company, and had already received favourable reviews in the American press. Mr Jarvis was enroute with 2 cases of these “grandfather clocks”, either for general sale or delivery to pre-arranged customers. The Horological Journal of May 1912 noted that “Among the unfortunate victims of the Titanic disaster was Mr D J Jarvis, representative of the Earth Driven Clock Company. He was on his way to America on business on behalf of his firm, and has not since been heard of.”

There is a Bentley earth Driven Clock in Leicester Museum..or at least was in the 1970's

Back