Detail about white stern light

I am aware that Titanic had the two (red and green) sidelights and of course the white foremast light. But concerning the white stern light: Exactly where was it?

I have looked at all kinds of photos of the stern area including the aft mast and can't locate it.

Thanks...

It is not easy to see even in photographs, but the stern light was located on the center of the rail at the stern, directly aft of the flag pole.

Here's a clue!

122308.jpg

Thanks for the great picture. But who is that lady? And there seems to be something wrong with the way the image is printed. Looks like she's OUTSIDE the railing?! :)

She's a very conscientious passenger, who's observed that the ship appears to be going down by the head and is doing her best to redress the balance. In the picture below she's enlisted the help of another passenger, but clearly their efforts are to no avail. :)

122314.jpg

Mmmmmmmm...somebody left the water running.
evil.gif

>>But who is that lady?<<

Kate Winslett appearing as Rose DeWitt Bukator in Cameron's "Titanic."

>>Looks like she's OUTSIDE the railing?! :)<<

Something about the freestyle diving contest....

Does anybody have a correct image of the stern lamp? I've always assumed that it was similar to the masthead light (drum shaped lantern with wings to control the visibility of the light).

The Cameron movie set prop was a "quicky" made from the ordinary bulkhead lights.

>>Does anybody have a correct image of the stern lamp? I've always assumed that it was similar to the masthead light (drum shaped lantern with wings to control the visibility of the light).

The Cameron movie set prop was a "quicky" made from the ordinary bulkhead lights.<<

Was the "stern light" (just above Kate Winslet's head in the photo on the post) shown in "Titanic" added just for lighting effects rather than being historically correct or is this another light rather than the "stern light" in question ? I believe there is a comment to this effect on one of the DVD commentary tracks ?

>>Mmmmmmmm...somebody left the water running.

>>But who is that lady?<<

>>Kate Winslett appearing as Rose DeWitt Bukator in Cameron's "Titanic."

>>Looks like she's OUTSIDE the railing?! :)<<

Something about the freestyle diving contest....<<

Hmmmm.....or maybe somebody moved the figurehead from the bow to the stern ?

>>She's a very conscientious passenger, who's observed that the ship appears to be going down by the head and is doing her best to redress the balance. In the picture below she's enlisted the help of another passenger, but clearly their efforts are to no avail. :) <<

Also note that the stern lamp is no longer illuminated (historically correct). The bulb is clearly visible through the lens.

A stern light would be exactly the same as a mast-head light and would be designed to show from 22.5 degrees abaft the beam on one side, right round the stern to 22.5 degrees abaft the beam on the opposite side. If stern and masthead light were at the same level - Titanic would have shown a white light all round the horizon within at two mile distance.

The light in the picture looks more like a modern bathroom light than a ship's light. You'll note in the second pic., it has been re-sited forward of the flag-staff and switched off. Additionally: who was standing on the iceberg shining the light on the lady in question?

Sorry guys, we don't really have to speculate on this one. We have one of the Fr. Browne photos of Titanic's stern. As you can clearly see, the stern light is just a simple bulkhead style lamp,
not a masthead lamp. The Cameron movie pretty much had it nailed. Disregard the numbers in the photo. They were for another discussion.

Regards,
Bob Read
134483.jpg

Another point - was the flag-staff on the side? The keep-off props sign more than likely was but then perhaps they put the sign in the middle so's the centre prop wouldn't be offended!

Jim:
Everything is like in the movie still above. The flagstaff and light were on the centerline. The notice board was to port with a whole railing section separating it from the centerline.

Regards,
Bob Read

Bob:

Thanks for the valuable input. I don't recall seeing a copy of the Browne photo this clear, and had thought that the Cameron set designers had simply taken another short cut. I'm surprised something that simple would have met the navigation laws regarding running lights.

Bill Sauder

Back