Distance Titanic's lights could be seen

Titanic navigation lights range of visibility

Everyone knows by heart Article 2 issue forth the 1910 Regulations for preventing the collisions at sea. The masthead light had to be visible at a distance of at least 5 miles, the sidelights at a distance of at least 2 miles and the stern light from at least 1 mile. At least meaning not less than, at the minimum of, etc. If a candidate for the certificate of competency would present himself in front of a BOT nautical examiner and one of the questions to answer was; «According to the Rules, at what distance would you expect a masthead light to be seen in perfect visibility»; as of what I conclude from the evidences, the candidate would answer without hesitation 5 miles sir! Personally, I would not be entirely satisfied by that answer for the reason that a masthead light had to be visible at a distance of at least 5 miles onwards. There is quite a difference between could be seen and should or shall be seen. The range of visibility of a masthead light depends on the type of lantern (oil or electric), the type of lens (Plano convex or Fresnel), the intensity, the maintenance of the glass, the visibility, the height of eye of the observer, the observer visual acuity, the use of glasses, the abnormal atmospheric refraction, just to name a few.

Therefore, a masthead light had to be visible at a distance of at least, not less than or at the minimum distance of 5 miles in good visibility and virtually up to the geographical visible horizon in perfect visibility.

- Boxhall:
«I thought she was about 5 miles, and I arrived at it in this way. The masthead lights of a steamer are required by the board of trade regulations to show for 5 miles, and the signals (sidelights) are required to show for 2 miles. I saw the side lights. Whatever ship she was had beautiful lights. I think we could see her lights more than the regulation distance, but I do not think we could see them 14 miles.» Not to show for 5 miles but had to be visible at a distance of at least, not less than or at the minimum distance of 5 miles.

- Groves:
8419. What is the average range of an ordinary ship's sidelight? - Two miles.
8420. And the masthead light? - Five miles; that is the distance they are supposed to show.
8421. They do show a little further on a clear night? - Yes.

- Groves: about 5 to 7 miles,
- Gibson: 4 and 7 miles away,
- Stone: at about 5 miles distant,
- Lord: Pretty near south of us, 4 miles to the south

Lord who was the most experimented of all stated;
7120. Suppose the Titanic was 7 or 8 miles from you between 11.30 and 12 o'clock, would those on her bridge have been able to see your lights? - Easily.
Remembering that the yellow-funnel steamer Lord sighted on the southwest the next morning, beyond where this man had left, was even estimated at a mere 8 miles away!

In 1912, there was no way to establish with precision the distance of an observed vessel by her navigation lights alone. It seems that they were all using a sort of epoch rule of thumb inspired by «to show for 5 miles or to show for 2 miles» instead of had to be visible at a distance of at least 5 miles or at a distance of at least 2 miles. If only they would have had the chance to compare their rule of thumb estimations against accurate distances measured from Radar or AIS, they would confirm what I am trying to point out.

That range estimation of navigation lights is also very true today. The United States coast pilot states:
(159) The maximum distances at which lights can be seen may at times be increased by abnormal atmospheric refraction. In some conditions of the atmosphere white lights may have a reddish hue. Navigational lights should be used with caution because of the following conditions that may exist.
(164) The distance of an observer from a light cannot be estimated by its apparent intensity.
(170) Lights of equal candlepower but of different colors may be seen at different distances. This fact should be considered not only in predicting the distance at which a light can be seen, but also in identifying it.

The CCG List of Lights, Buoys and Fog Signals:
(12) Atmospheric conditions can have a considerable effect on light transmission and the visibility of lights. The distance to a light cannot be reliably estimated from its apparent brightness.

The American Practical Navigator, Bowditch:
The distance of an observer from a light cannot be estimated by its apparent intensity.

The List of Lights, Buoys and Fog Signals Luminous Range Diagram;
Intensity in candelas against range in nautical miles.

1589382073756.png

What Samuel came up with is that the incandescent light bulbs used in the electric lanterns were made of 2 filaments shining off 16 candelas each. The Fresnel glass had a magnification factor of 8.4 but an absorption lost of 10%. The sidelights had an additional filter loss of 2/5 (sidelight range ÷ masthead light range) due to the glass dye. 16 x 2 = 32 candelas or 402 lumens or the equivalence of an incandescent light bulb of 40 watts.

Masthead light intensity:
16 candelas x 2 = 32 candelas
32 candelas x [8.4 – 10% = 7.6] = 243 candelas
Visibility range = 19 miles

Sidelight intensity:
16 candelas x 2 = 32 candelas
32 candelas x [8.4 – 10% = 7.6] = 243 candelas
243 candelas x 2/5 = 97 candelas
Visibility range = 12 miles

In 1912, engineers knew well that the precision of calibration instruments would upgrade with time, thence every calculation integrated a margin of safety. To give an idea of such a margin, if you just add 2 candelas per filament or 5 watts per lantern, the masthead light range of visibility goes from 19 to 20 miles and the sidelights from 12 to 13. Notwithstanding the fact that United States Coast Pilot publication states that the maximum distance at which lights can be seen may at times be increased by abnormal atmospheric refraction; «Navigators, crew and passengers experimented a visibility rarely or never seen before. A most peculiar night. Very much refraction entered in weather log books. Witnesses stated that rockets bursting stars had color in it due to thermal inversion; a condition required for abnormal atmospheric refraction.»

To use the Luminous Range Diagram, we need to know the light intensity in candelas which was certainly not an information readily or easily accessible. Thanks Samuel for those data. The Nominal Range table given in the same publication is the maximum distance of a listed or a charted light, namely lighthouses, which can be seen when the meteorological visibility is 10 nautical miles. It does not really apply to ships navigation lights.

Geographical Range of Light Diagram:

1589382150729.png

The List of Lights, Buoys and Fog Signals or similar publications like Pilot Books, also present a Nomogram to determine the geographical range of a light. Why such coast guard publications would publish mathematical tools to determine the geographical range of a light? Just because when the visibility is unlimited, it is the most convenient tool to use. Titanic was a brand new vessel, up to highest standards and made to last. Her masthead light and sidelights lanterns were electric and her new Fresnel lens made the beam of light to focus. The weather of that moonless and pitch dark night was dead calm, dry and cold. Navigators, crew and passengers experimented a visibility rarely or never seen before.

As a result;

The minimum visibility range of Titanic navigation lights from the official Luminous Range Diagram was:
- Masthead light = 19 miles
- Sidelights = 12 miles

The maximum visibility range of Titanic navigation lights from the official Nomogram Geographical Range of a light was up to:
- Masthead light = 21 miles
- Sidelights = 17 miles

Geographical Range by calculations:
- Masthead light = 1.169 x [√(39+5) + √140] = 21½ miles
- Sidelights = 1.169 x [√(39+5) + √64] = 17 miles

Any mystery vessel with a depiction such as witnessed by Californian’s 3rd mate Charles V. Groves, located in between Lord subjective position and the Wreck location, would either sight the signaling lamp or hear the socket distress signals loud report or subsequently be swiftly identify;

«At about 11.30, I reported that vessel to Lord. I said that by her deck lights she was evidently a passenger steamer. Yes, a lot of light. There was absolutely no doubt her being a passenger steamer. Most decidedly I do believe that the passenger steamer was Titanic. The number of deck lights she was showing indicated me she was a large passenger steamer.»

Titanic masthead light was first seen from 19 to 21 nautical miles and her sidelights from 12 to 17 miles. Just far enough for the signaling lamp visible up to 10 miles to not be seen and just far enough for the socket distress signals loud report up to 13 miles to not be heard. The perfect distance apart at the very worst moment.

Attachments

• Titanic luminous-range-1000pxl.png
    Titanic luminous-range-1000pxl.png
    143.9 KB · Views: 435
  • Nomogram Titanic-Californian.jpg
    Nomogram Titanic-Californian.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 383
Last edited:
From endnote 1 of Appendix I from my book, Strangers on the Horizon:

1 For navigation lights equipped on vessels, the nominal range used to determine their luminous range
is usually specified for a meteorological optical range condition of approximately 13 miles. (Ref:
Llana & Wisneskey, Handbook of the Nautical Rules of the Road, Annex I – Positioning and
Technical Details of Navigation Lights.) For lights listed in the US Coast Guard Light List, the
nominal range of a given light was based on a meteorological optical range condition of 10 miles. In
these lists, the range is calculated for what is called a threshold of perception which is defined as 0.2
microlux of illumination, and is approximately four times higher than a threshold of perception to
which a probability of 50% was attached. (Pierre Blaise and Paul Pétry, “Luminous Intensity and
Range of Lights,” 6th International. Conference on Lighthouses and Other Aids to Navigation,
Washington, 1960.) An illumination of 0.2 microlux is equivalent to the illumination by a star of
apparent magnitude 2.55, just a little less than the apparent brightness of the star Acrab (beta Scorpii) in
the constellation Scorpius, which easily visible to the naked eye. One-fourth that brightness, or an
illumination corresponding to a threshold of perception to which a probability of 50% was attached, is
0.05 microlux, or equivalent to a star of apparent magnitude 4.05. The dimmest objects visible with
the naked eye is typically magnitude 6.5. (University Lowbrow Astronomers Naked Eye Observer’s Guide..)

Back