Diver Injured Near Lusitania Wreck

Hi All,

At this early hour I could not figure out where to post this so please Mods, move it where it belongs. I was just looking at some of my collection, observing the differences between teak and pitch pine Mauretania treen/scrap souvenirs, when I decided to handle my bit of the Lusitania wreck for the very first time. I finished, went into my room and opened my email and found a message from a friend in Ireland about a diver being injured near the wreck site.
sad.gif
Here is a link to this roughly hour old story:

Diver Injured - Irish Times

Best,
Eric

Two things:

1) What a horrible thing for the diver to go through. Not only is his body burned but he has to make a controlled ascent, subjecting his body to further burns. Gotta give him credit for not panicking and heading straight for the surface.

2) What is your bit of the Lusitania?

Hi Jeremy,

It is a small bit of a watertight door hand gear, possibly from Shelter Deck. It was recovered by Oceaneering International in August/September 1982. Here is a photo linked below. From the best of sources - Brian Hawley at Luxurylinerrow.com

www geocities.com/magikbilly/LusifragEKL2009.jpg Lusitania Fragment EKL Collection

Best,
Eric

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks
happy.gif
I am glad you like it. Hopefully, this diver will make a full recovery from his burns. As Jeff said - nerves of steel.

Best,
Eric

>>To make a controlled ascent under those conditions that guy must have nerves of steel. I am in awe.<<

The threat of the Bends may well have given him something of an incentive. Don't know if I could have managed it with burns covering 30% of my body but the cold waters may have numbed him to the pain enough to manage it.

>>Nearby wreck? Are there a number of wrecks near the Lusitania?<<

As busy as U-boats were in this area, it would be a wonder if there weren't any wrecks nearby.

Back