Don LynchOn Titanic

Bernard Fox does look strikingly like the real Captain Edward Smith. Wouldn't that be weird if you found out how closely you look like a person who's been dead for a long time?

Mark- I thought Garber did a fantastic performance as Andrews. He looked a little older but certainly young enough to play the part. I failed to notice any greying in his hair.

>"Ah, but Garber was too old for Andrews. He had more grey hair than dark and appeared at least 50 or 55. Andrews, at the time of the sinking, was a mere 38 . . . " For all that, I can forgive him a few extra years.

Mark, my feeling is that if the makeup department wants to take steps to correct something like that, it's well within their means to do so. '-)

But I think we're getting into the area of just what is an actor's job when he/she takes on the role of a historic personality. Should the actor present us with a practically DNA-perfect copy of that person, or should they project a reasonable likeness and stress the personality qualities that made the original unique? Obviously, a 50/50 combination of the two would be ideal, but in the real world (...are movies ever "the real world"?) it's very difficult to come by.

Honestly, I don't think Victor Garber looks physically like the real Tom Andrews at all, except in one important area -- his eyes. And they tell me everything I need to know about how Garber viewed Andrews. Was Garber's Andrews intelligent and capable? -- Oh, yeah! Did he convince you he could have accomplished everything the real Andrews did? -- You bet! Did he seem universally likeable? -- No doubt about it. Did he look just a wee bit wistful and homesick for his family? -- Yep, just enough.

Yes, Mr. Garber gets my vote, even though I still think Richard Carlson looked more like Andrews.

Roy

Yeah, did I say Fox? hehe. Sorry. The only problem I have with Fox playing Gracie was that he had a very obvious Brit accent, whereas Gracie was American, born and raised in Alabama.

Im watching Titanic right now on the computer. I'll have to check that out. Too bad he didnt appear in more scenes.

Ah I see. I cant beleive I missed that. And its been what, 7-8 years.

"Roy--Don Lynch IS a very likable, pleasant guy. I spent a weekend with him and carted him around Chicagoland in my car when he spoke at a Titanic conference I helped to organize. Quite funny and very, very nice. "

It's been pointed out to me that while I did pick up Don from the airport, I didn't cart him around as extensively as a friend of mine did...so I didn't mean to mislead anyone. I did spend a bit of time with him in my car, but others spent far more time driving him around at this conference, specifically one other person (I'll let her relate her experience if she so chooses). They all said he was more than nice and gracious.

I hope I didn't mislead anyone.

I was there for the same event and I can vouch for Mary that he's a great guy and it was a great pleasure to sit and listen to him tell stories that not everyone knows. A VERY nice man with a vast knowledge I can only hope to have a smidge of one day.

I picked up on Don Lynch playing the man with the son spinning the top the first time I saw it because of the voice. I recognized the voice and then seeing it the 2nd time saw the face too.

Back