Perhaps this has been mentioned in some other thread, but if not: You can only be a descendent to someone who had children. Eino is not your ancestor, nor your great grandfather. He is just related to you.

Had your grandmother's mother, or so, been a daughter of Eino, he would have been your ancestor and thus you would have been his descendent.

Best regards,
Maritha the genealogy freak as well as Titanic freak
happy.gif

Is this right?

Eino's mother and your great-great grandmother were sisters.

So, Eino and your great-grandmother (or great-grandfather) were first cousins.

Eino dies at thirteen months old, so he did not have children. Since children descend from their parents, and the parents from their parents. (they make up the branches on the family tree), Eino did not have any descendants. (No branches come after his name)

Meanwhile, your great-grandparent had a child (your grand-mother) who had a child (your father or mother) who had a child (you)

You and Eino are descended from your great-great-great grandparents and their ancestors (They are the ancestors you and he have in common), but you are not descended from Eino.

My brothers and I are descended from my parents.
My brothers' children are descended from my parents;
but they are not descended from me.

(I think as their aunt, I am their 'co-lateral ancestor', along with my own aunts and uncles; but I've probably got that mixed up. Maybe, from my youngest niece's place on the tree, my parents - as their common grandparents - are the co-lateral ancestors of her and her first cousins. Genealogy confuses me.)

So as to clear that People magazine picture of the"unknown child" it is NOT Eino, but his sister Emma Iida, aged 2, with their father Juha and five-months- pregnant mother, Maija. Emma and the baby (Lyydia) who Maija is carrying both died young. Emma died in 1910 and the baby (Lyydia) died at 6 months of age. Just so everyone knows.

It's been known since 2007 that #4, formerly the 18 month old 'Unknown Child,' is not Eino Panula (who was only 13mo), but rather Sidney Leslie Goodwin (who was 18mo).

Back