Engine bedplate mounting

Blackfin

Apologies if this has been answered already. I did search but found no clear answer.

The reciprocating and turbine engines were exceedingly heavy. The reciprocating engine bedplates weighed 195 tons, the columns 21 tons each, and the heaviest cylinder with liner 50 tons while the complete turbine assembly weighed 420 tons (number from and text paraphrased from here).

I'm curious about the structure to which the bedplates were actually mounted?

I understand that the keel girder was some 6-ft in height under the reciprocating engine room and to it were riveted angles to which floors were placed every ~2 or 3 feet along her length. These ran to the turn of the bilge and there were also longitudinals and intercostal plates as well. The tank-top plating would then have been placed atop this "egg crate" structure forming the double bottom.

But what in this egg crate structure was substantial enough to fasten the massive bedplates? Looking at this drawing from the same source as above:

053_H.jpg

the bedplates appear to just sit on the tank top plating; there must be tie-in to the floors beneath but how was this done?

My understanding is that the Britannic's engines are still in place in her engine room, having been cantilevered like this for more than 100 years so that structure must be pretty robust; how was it done?

Back