Encyclopedia Titanica

Philip Hind
Staff member
family-at-war_FP.jpg
Wars from 1861-1953 with Titanic survivors and victims and their extended families.... Titanica! Sun, 30 Jul 2023

It's an outstanding article, I only found two names missing that spring to mind:
  • Captain Edward Gifford Crosby (1842-1912) served in the 1st Regiment, Michigan Cavalry during the American Civil War. According to Don Lynch his granddaughter Andree Presley even told him that her grandfather fell off his horse which left him with a permanent round-shouldered stoop. Unbeknownst to some he was even photographed on the Titanic, he’s the elderly man standing on the left watching Frederic and Douglas Spedden playing on the A-deck promenade (he was identified by his family in that photograph)
  • Lieutenant-Colonel Lawrence Arthur Hind, Thomas Andrews Jr his brother-in-law, fought in the First World War as part of the 1/7th Bn Sherwood Foresters. He was killed in action on the 1st of July on the first day of the Battle of the Somme.

This the latest updates for Family at War as i have found more names as missed names.

The list includes

1x new person found for American Civil war

1x new person found for Spainsh American war 1898

Boer war
New person 4
Update 12

Ww1
New person 22
Updates 17

Ww2
New person 5
Updates 3

This the latest updates for Family at War as i have found more names as missed names.

The list includes

1x new person found for American Civil war

1x new person found for Spainsh American war 1898

Boer war
New person 4
Update 12

Ww1
New person 22
Updates 17

Ww2
New person 5
Updates 3
It looks splendid! I got one more name, even through he didn't fought himself as he sadly died on-board the Titanic. The older brothers of sixth officer James Paul Moody (John Evelyn Moody and Christopher William Moody) saw combat too. John saw combat during the Boer War and later World War 1 while Christopher joined the Grimsby unit only during the First World War. Their sister Margaret Alice Moody served as a nurse too in World War One.

Back