Fanny Kelly

Pat Cook

That's it in a nutshell, folks.

Does ANYbody know of a photo of Fanny Kelly? This is one of those haunting (t'is the season, after all) items that I thought I'd bring up on the board here. Actually, Daniel Rosenshine suggested I post it here - we were again discussing the Carpathia photo with Lawrence Beesley (big surpirse, huh?), Hilda Slayter and a third unidentified woman. It has been suggested that the third woman is Fanny Kelly, who was a cabin mate of Slayters. I can tell you this much - on the back of the original photo, the Fenwicks (who took the photo) had written 'Sclaters mother'. We've since ruled out that Hildas mother was not on the voyage.

And there's where we stand. Any and all help will be appreciated. And please state your sources.

Best regards,
Cook

Attachments

• fenwick-slater-beesley-unknown.jpg
    fenwick-slater-beesley-unknown.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,700
Hello Cook,
How are you doing? All I can say on the photograph situation is that Fanny Lydia Kelly was travelling with Marion (aka Mary Ann) Smith. The story is that Smith was to marry Kelly's son who was the proprietor of an hotel in New York but it appears that the marriage - if indeed there was to be one - did not take place as Smith returned alone and unwed to Basingstoke.Fanny Kelly was born 22nd October 1856, which would make her 55 in April 1912. I would be interested to hear the outcome!
Good hunting!

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

I hope all is well with you, sir.

I cannot take credit for any of the identifications on the Carpathia photo. Although I DID ask Mrs. Fenwick (the daughter-in-law who now owns all the Fenwick photos) about the writing on the back and passed along that info. Alan Ruffman is working on the 'Slayter Scribbler' with Gary Shutlak, as you know , and he firmly believes the third woman to be Kelly in the photo. Senan Molony, Alan Hustak, Daniel Rosenshine plus Ruffman and Shutlak have all contributed in this search.

If we can just locate a photo of Fanny, this would certainly be a boon, as you can well guess.

Thanks for your input, sir. I was totally unaware of these facts.

Best regards,
Cook

If Kelly was traveling with Smith, what was Slayter doing in a cabin with Kelly? I don't know, but I don't think Slayter makes any mention about Smith being in the cabin too.

Thanks to Hermann Soeldner, who transcribed the Titanic - Carpathia - survivor lists, we know that the given information for Kelly was 45 years old (not 55, but the list is not to be taken for granted with ages, so I stick to 55) and that the height given for her is 5'6" and Slayter being 5'8". If Slayter was indeed that height (which is believable, compared to Beesley's 5'11") then the other woman on the photo looks a tad shorter than 5'6" perhaps 5'4" or so.

I credit Hermann for the above given info.

Daniel.

Daniel,
Your guess is as good as mine regarding sharing a cabin. Smith's adress was given as c/o Mrs Kelly, 68 West 71st Street, NYC. which would seem to back up all the claims that I have seen about the relationship between them. I have wondered though if Smith was simply going to work for Mrs Kelly's son. The details regarding Kelly's date of birth are correct, researcher Craig Stringer found her through tracing the birth certificate for her son and then using the information from that to obtain her birth certificate. Another researcher claims that Smith was born 10th January 1863 which would have made her 49 years old in 1912. If this is correct, it would seem to cast further doubt on the marriage plans. I would be interested to learn if you find out any further details concerning the identification.
Geoff

Hi Ed,

Unless I'm mistaken, her name is spelled 'Fanny'. Phil Gowan sent me an email on this and he has a copy of her birth certificate (I DO remember her name isn't Florence). Gowan, correct me on this if I'm wrong.

Best regards,
Cook

Nope, that's right--her birth certificate (as Geoff said) lists her as Fanny Lydia Kelly and that is what is on the son's certificate as well.

Phillip

In the New York Herald for April 19, 1912, there is a human interest story headlined "MEETS MOTHER AT PIER; BELIEVED HER LOST Mrs. Kelly Was Carrying $8000 To Start Son In Business, But He Forgets That." (pg9) The text of the article is basically an expanded version of the headline, ending with the quote "My mother is saved.....I don't know whether she lost the money or not, and I don't care so long as I have her." There was no follow up article that I could find, and I have been wondering how this resolved itself. Did she rescue the money; if not, did she put in a claim for it, or was the story a fabrication by either the newspaper or her son?

Please please help trying now to find out information regarding Florence 'Fanny' Kelly 2nd Class passenger anything will help.

I believe that she would of been travelling with Marion Smith as Marion was due to marry Fanny's son Richard.

My interest in Marion is becoming an obsession that is driving my family insane so they give thanks to Brian Ticehurst for his information that he gave the last time

Tx in advance to anyone who can help

Rosalyn
Greetings - here is a bit on Mrs. Kelly:
KELLY, MRS. FLORENCE (FANNY). Saved in Lifeboat number 10. Lived at 32, Bedford Place, Russell Square, London, W.C. UK, and en route to 68 West 71st Street, New York City. Widow aged 45 years.
(From The Emergency and Relief booklet by the American Red Cross, 1913).
No. 236. (English). Widow, 45 years of age, suffered very severely from shock and exposure, and lost a large amount of personal belongings and $500 in cash. She received clothing and $120 from other American sources of relief. Being still unwell from the effects of her experience, she returned to England in November. The facts were reported to the English Committee. ($225).
(From The Emergency and Relief booklet by the American Red Cross, 1913).
No. 233. (Irish). Housekeeper, 45 years of age. ($100).
Marconigram dated 18th April 1912 to: Hamilton, 32 Bedford Place, London. ''Saved, cable Dick, lost address. - Fanny''.
I hope that helps?
Best regards

Brian

Back