Finally going there

Why does it say: "Closed: New threads not accepted on this page"? Is it not possible to add more answers? Can any moderator please fix this.

I just printed everything that has been said in the thread and will bring it with me on the trip.

best regards, Mikael

Can any moderator please fix this.

There's nothing that needs to be fixed, Mikael. What's "closed" is the first page of this thread, which contains the first fifty messages posted to it. The thread, in the form of this page, remains open for posting, as evidenced by the fact that you've already posted to it twice today.

>>Why does it say: "Closed: New threads not accepted on this page"? Is it not possible to add more answers? Can any moderator please fix this.<<

Because there's no need. What you're looking at is the archived section of this very same thread. It does that so the string of posts in any one thread doesn't get so long that you have to come back in another life to see it finish loading.

>>Is it easy to get to the airport (LAX) from QM?<<

In terms of routing, yes. Just get on 405 and head north. In terms of traffic, this is Los Angeles and it can be a nightmare even at 6am. (I know, I've made the drive several times when going between San Diego and Port Hueneme.) You're looking at a trip of around 20 some odd miles.

I would strongly advise you get a hotel as close to the airport as possible. If you must use a taxi, bring loads of cash or better yet, a credit card if the taxi service takes them. (People who flash tons of cash tend to attract some very unwelcome attention from the local criminal element.) You might want to see if some sort of airport shuttle is available if you get a hotel in Long Beach and get a very early start. If you change your mind and rent a car, bring some good road maps or buy then locally. The Thomas Guide is excellant and you should be able to get it at the airport.

Actually, you might want to get it anyway so you know where everything is.

I recently took the metro down to Long Beach from Hollywood and it was very easy. The price is $1.25 each way. You can also buy metro passes at the metro station which might be a better deal for you and I strongly recommend. I also recently took the train down to San Diego from Los Angeles and it was $35.00 each way and also very easy. You'll need to take the metro from LAX Airport to Union Station to get the Amtrak train that will take you to San Diego. Price for all Metro rides is again $1.25. I think that you will be fine without a car in both Los Angeles and San Diego. San Diego has excellent public transportation and Los Angeles' public transportation has greatly improved and I have started to use it more. You will be able to access all tourist areas of the city using either metros or buses. Beverly Hills, Venice, Santa Monica will be accessible by buses only, while Hollywood and Downtown have numerous Metro stations.

You won't find hostels in LA the way you find them in Europe, especially near the airport, however you can probably find a very cheap motel which will be near LAX and that will give you peace of mind to be at your flight on time for your return.

If you decide to stay all three nights on the QM, then the Hotel QM will arrange for a taxi to pick you up early in the morning and can also request a taxi that will take a credit card. The price to LAX from the QM will probably be about $40.00 plus tip. The ride will take about 30 minutes without traffic. I would not recommend using a metro or a bus to get to the airport for 8:30. I would only take a taxi for this since you have a flight to catch.

As for tours, once you book your stay at the Hotel Queen Mary, the concierge should be able to book a tour that will pick you up at the QM and return you there. If not, there will be a meeting point such as the Long Beach Aquarium, etc. which is nearby. The Queen Mary is a major tourist attraction/hub in LA/Long Beach, so there should be lots of services and tours right there at the QM.

Whatever you do, make sure you're at the airport in plenty of time to get your baggage checked and get through the security screening. Claims that TSA security is a joke aside, it still takes time to get through it. The concierage at whatever place you stay should be able to help you with that as well as any information on transportation around town.

If you manage to get to San Diego, the lack of a car won't be a big deal. The Harbour Excursion and the USS Midway aircraft carrier museum are within easy walking distance of the AMTRAK station as is the downtown shopping.

Now we are home again.

We stayed 3 Days and 2 nights on the Queen Mary. There is only one thing to say about it. WOW!!!
happy.gif

Thank you for all your help. Please see some of our pictures here:
http://www.titanicnorden.com/skepp/queenmaryhotel.html

best regards, Mikael

Mikael: So glad you got to pay your respects to QUEEN MARY 1. It seems we all have the same ideas when picture taking. I will admit on my first visit (1986), while approaching the parking lot, I was overwhelmed to see the ship as a whole...so surreal. And the propellor on display in the parking lot, yes, WOW!!!
Did you manage to stand in the starboard wing-bridge, and peer fore, then pause for a moment to think of what "Will" Murdoch saw 14 April 1912, upon receiving his call from the crow's nest?

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

POSTSCRIPT: Forgot to ask...Mikael, did time allow you a visit to the Los Angeles Maritime Museum in San Pedro? In hopes of admiring the 18' TITANIC cut-away and others (Lusitania, Normandie, etc.).

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Actually, the TITANIC and LUSITANIA cutaway models are now in the Queen Mary Engine Room area, slong with the NORMANDIE model.

The only ship model at the LA Maritime Museum is the QUEEN MARY model used for "The Poseidon Adventure".

Thanks John, just goes to show you how long it has been since I ventured to Southern Calif. to visit Maritime places. BTW, whatever became of the large model of Titanic, with portholes lighted, which was once on display on QUEEN MARY1? I first and last saw it in 1986.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Back