Frank Millet's House in Worcestershire

Ah-The Pre-Raphaelite Movement....... now we're talking business of good ole British quality!

Right Randy, Inger, Shelley and Geoff, I don't want you to feel that I'm pushing you in a corner whilst asking you all this question, because at the end of the day, there's a strange twist of fate involved here.

I couldn't agree more with Geoff's statement that beautiful idyllic village of Broadway is well worth a visit.

Nevertheless let's get back to my question. Nowaday's his name doesn't even get a look in let alone a mention. "Who was John Everett Millais"?

I expect Inger might be the first to come forth with an answer!

Best wishes

Andrew W.

Poor old Millais! Today most known for his Chocolate-box later works (boys blowing soap bubbles...'Hearts are Trumps'...etc.) One of the original members of the brotherhood, he sold his Pre-Raphaelite soul, and was even accepted into the RA! I prefer his earlier works...did you by any chance catch the major exhibition of his work at the National Portrait Gallery in 1999? It was one of the first things I saw when I moved to London. In his earlier years he had a few rather controversial scrapes, and not just in his art - he won the heart of poor Effie Ruskin (and much as I like Ruskin, he treated his wife very poorly).

Kris, Julia Cameron was certainly of the Pre-Raphaelite ilk! Jan Marsh features her work quite extensively in one of her studies of the movement...think it was the one about Pre-Raphaelite Women (Not 'The Pre-Raphaelite Sisterhood', but the large format art book).

~ Ing

Millais, born 1829 was a founder member of the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood, some of his more remarkable work was done during his early twenties (Christ in the Carpenter's shop & Oreder of Release) he died 1n 1896.

Hey Presto, Inger your a genuis!

Geoff, I knew Millais death was in 1896, but would you have any inkling of his place of burial?

>>Did you by any chance catch the major exhibition of his work at the National Portrait Galley in 1999? I wish...I wish... I wish...I wish, Inger, 1999 was my own version of the Battle of Jutland!

Sorry for the intrusion Randy but I can't resist the temptation by letting Inger and Geoff know, how fate delivered on of those unexpected surprises at least two years ago.

Indeed "Poor old Millais"! Yet very little is known with the actitives of the Millais family down here in Southampton. Ah-I've quoted Southampton. Yes, Millais is a Southampton man and shortly after he was baptised in the year of his birth 1829 (at my favourite Southampton Church-All Saints) the family quickly uprooted and moved to settled in London.

I have often thought, if Millais had hung on for a few more years how would he react to the event's of 1912. What stood firmly in All Saints favour was its seating capacity and by 1912, it could accommodate up to fourteen hundred people. Again this is not well presented or even publicisted in the book Titanic Voices, but All Saints was selected and held the largest memorial service to Titanic. The service was conducted by Rev B. W. Keymer B.A and held on Sunday, April 12th 1912.

Sadly for Millais Church All Saints, along with its other contemporary Holy Rood, both were destoryed during the heavey bombing of 1940.

Nevertheless, its such a nice thought knowing that the origins of John Everett Millais, who was destined and became the President of the Royal Academy, and co-founder of the Pre-Raphaelites, originates from Southampton.

Best wishes

Andrew W.

G'day Andrew -

Millais is buried in St Pauls - there's a photo of the site on the 'Find a Grave website:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=6204

I had to wince at the comment in his entry that his most famous work was 'Bubbles'...whatever happened to such innovative works as the Isabella & Lorenzo painting? Pears Soap has a lot to answer for...!

Thanks for the info on the Soton link - I don't think I'd ever heard that. Most of what I know about him dates to when he began moving in the Rossetti/Ford Madox Brown/Collins/Woolner etc circle.

~ Ing

G'day Inger!

I can't thank you enough for Millais's burial site. Grief I didn't know he was buried at St. Paul's.

How unusal because there is a mistake with Florence Nightingale. She is not buried at St. Paul's she is in actual fact buried with rest of her family here at my adopted village at St. Maragaret's Church East Wellow, and not West. Still......... I suppose I could for giv'em for their errors!

The Millais connection with Southampton is one hundred per cent true, although sadly the Church Record's for All Siants like Holy Rood, ended up as a pill of ash.

>>What ever happened to such innovate works as the Isabella & Lorenzo painting? "Your guessess are as good as mine Inger"!

It is rumoured down this area of Hampshire that some of Millais works did end up in the superb and private collection of Sankeys. Whether that painting was purchased secretly for the Sankey collection remains as ever, unknown, because the whole lot was destoryed, need I say, by one of Hilter's bombs. That unique collection of artefacts was a get loss to the Townspeople of Southampton.

Andrew W.

Hello. My name is Richard, I live in England and was fascinated to stumble over the various postings on the Titanica web site recently regarding Frank Millet. I write because I am the owner and live with my family at Abbots Grange in Broadway and am deeply interested in the history of the arts and crafts movement, Sargeant and of course the Millets. Abbots Grange itself is a grade 11* listed manor house and regarded as one of the finest and most important examples of domestic, monastic architecture in the UK. You will know I'm sure, that Frank Millet purchased Abbots Grange (along with Russell House) and set about its restoration with William Morris turning it into a series of studios where Sargeant and he plus so many other artists of the time congregated and worked. It is known that among other great names of the time Oscar Wilde, Austin Abbey, Monet and Edward Elgar were regular visitors to the house. Abbots Grange itself is of mediaeval origin, located at the centre of the village and was built around 1320 for the then Abbot of Pershore. It is a fascinating and truly dramatic property in which to live with such a long and varied history attached. The Great Hall (of 'Between two fires' fame) is a fascinating room in which to sit and almost ‘listen’ to the history of the building. I can actually stand in the Great Hall in the exact position at which Millet stood his easel when painting ‘the’ picture! At night the Great Hall is lit only by candles and the light of a roaring fire. It is akin to a theatre set and not difficult to understand why Frank fell for it. We have a lovely sketch of Lilly painted by Frank and indeed have named our baby daughter Lilly-Rose (age 2) after Sargeants - Carnation Lilly, Lilly, Rose reputed to have been painted in the gardens of the main house. We have other works of art from the Millet era which we have fortunately been able to return to their ‘rightful’ home. My wife (Topsy) and I also have two sons - Josh and Jacob. I studied art at college and then went into business and one or two of my own paintings now hang on the walls of the house - (no match for the Millet’s or Sargeants I hasten to add!! I hope this is all of some interest and would add that I would be very happy to share thoughts and/or information with you and your interested parties in respect of Broadway, the house, Millet etc etc. In the meantime from one Millet fan (living in ‘the old country’) to many others, I am glad to have made contact.
Yours,
Richard

Back