"Gateway to Victory" - 1945 Documentary Film of Southampton Docks at War

Seumas

Thought some folks might find this interesting.

A short documentary produced in 1945 by the Southern Railway about Southampton docks during WWII. The commentary does veer into back patting and purple prose at times but the footage of the docks in action is fantastic.

It's in three parts, when one part finishes just click the next thumbnail along to view the next part.

Thought some folks might find this interesting.

A short documentary produced in 1945 by the Southern Railway about Southampton docks during WWII. The commentary does veer into back patting and purple prose at times but the footage of the docks in action is fantastic.

It's in three parts, when one part finishes just click the next thumbnail along to view the next part.

That was an interesting film. Somewhere in those pictures was my dad's ship. One of the Liberty ships he was on took part in the invasion. Although I remember him telling me his ship didn't make it to Normandy until a day or 2 after D-Day. Anyway glad these old films are being preserved. Thanks for the link.

That was an interesting film. Somewhere in those pictures was my dad's ship. One of the Liberty ships he was on took part in the invasion. Although I remember him telling me his ship didn't make it to Normandy until a day or 2 after D-Day. Anyway glad these old films are being preserved. Thanks for the link.
What was the name of your Dad's Liberty ship ? Your Dad certainly did his bit in the fight against fascism for which we are all grateful. :)

What was the name of your Dad's Liberty ship ? Your Dad certainly did his bit in the fight against fascism for which we are all grateful. :)
He was on a few different one's I believe but he always seem to mention the S.S. William McKinley. Going to Murmansk Russia and stopping in southern England.

Look carefully at the film clip notably at the Cold Storage. This building relates to John Montgomery Smart although Smart was not officially classified as the co-founder of the company, but he was employed as one of the Directors.

Back