Hard a starboard

I hope this answers your question. I am not completely sure what the phrase meant, however, I may have some logical answers. The port side of the ship was the left, (say you were looking out at the sea from the bow at this point) and this is the side where people got onto the ship from the boarding docks. That is how it got its name, the port side. The starboard side is where the iceberg collided with the ship. The starboard side got its name, because this is where the ship was steered from. Since the iceberg was seen and hit on the starboard side, I think the phrase "Hard a' starboard" means that there is an object approaching the starboard side that could be hazardous. I am not sure, but I am pretty sure, but if the iceberg was on the port side, they might have said "Hard a' port!" But I am not very sure. I am sure they said "Hard a' starboard" since it was on the starboard side. I hope this wasn't too repetitive and it was somewhat helpful to you (less or more, you decide). -Brian.

I think the phrase "Hard a' starboard" means that there is an object approaching the starboard side t
It had nothing to do with any object. It is simply a command to the helmsman to put the tiller all the way over to the starboard (right) side. To do that,the helmsman turn the wheel counter-clockwise all the way.

Back