Harold Bride Son Named After Phillips?

J Burdette

My apologies if this had already been discussed previously.

I came across a website that says Harold Bride's son was named John Phillip Bride and called Jack. Is it possible Bride had named his son after his colleague John George 'Jack' Phillips or was it just a coincidence?

Well, then, it could be a possibility. Wonder how'd you go about finding that out, short of actually finding a diary or other actual claim by Harold himself?

Harold Bride's biography here on ET says "Harold disliked discussing the Titanic, being deeply disturbed by the whole experience, particularly by the loss of his colleague and friend Jack Phillips, whose bravery and steadfastness never left him".
Perhaps if John was indeed named after Phillips this could have affected Bride's decision for the name.

I have read that Harold Bride named his son after fellow Titanic radio operator John George "Jack" Phillips in several articles (I recall that one even said the son's full name was John George Phillip Bride). However, I have never seen any substantiation. I do geneological research of my own family, so I thought I would look up Harold Bride's to see if I could confirm the son's name. I wasn't able to find anything. Barring an account from Bride's family, we can only speculate, although if his name truly was John George Phillip Bride, it's pretty likely that he was named after Jack Phillips. Some sources have reported that John Bride died in Africa in the 1940s.

I really don't know much about Phillips other than what I've skimmed from ET over the years, but if Bride did name his son after Phillips, they must've been very good friends.

First i've heard of this one but surely if the name of Bride's son is genuine, that's a bit too close to be a coincidence. I doubt Bride and/or his wife would have been so oblivious to the significance of that name.

I have read that Harold Bride named his son after fellow Titanic radio operator John George "Jack" Phillips in several articles (I recall that one even said the son's full name was John George Phillip Bride). However, I have never seen any substantiation. I do geneological research of my own family, so I thought I would look up Harold Bride's to see if I could confirm the son's name. I wasn't able to find anything. Barring an account from Bride's family, we can only speculate, although if his name truly was John George Phillip Bride, it's pretty likely that he was named after Jack Phillips. Some sources have reported that John Bride died in Africa in the 1940s.
nice . are living family members or harold bride here?

Back