Have any of the funnels been located?

in the past two months I have entered research and study of the wreck, to find these funnels. Study of wreck footage, maps, obscure websites, and information from other researchers.
Recently I have found three of the four funnels (in collaboration will Bill Sauder)

No. 1 Funnel: (I am not sure of the exact location, but the best bet is westward of the stern, close to the Stern's ejecta debris field)
1618189977036.png

No. 2 Funnel (which we all knew of) eastward of the Stern (copyright Bill Sauder)
Number 2 Funnel remains.jpg

No. 3 Funnel: missing and not sure of the location, but the pipes are on the forward tower which is southeast of the Bow

No. 4 Funnel remains
whistles, 1985 WHOI
Fourth Funnel whistles.png

Fourth Funnel pipes, 1985 WHOI
1618190419899.png

and the Fourth Funnel base, which is still connected to the roofing that held the Fourth Funnel, or at least did in 1985
1985 WHOI
fourth funnel base in 1985.png

I am still not sure of where the Third Funnel is, but I hope to find it and add to this thread

Last edited:
in the past two months I have entered research and study of the wreck, to find these funnels. Study of wreck footage, maps, obscure websites, and information from other researchers.
Recently I have found three of the four funnels (in collaboration will Bill Sauder)

No. 1 Funnel: (I am not sure of the exact location, but the best bet is westward of the stern, close to the Stern's ejecta debris field)
View attachment 76287

No. 2 Funnel (which we all knew of) eastward of the Stern (copyright Bill Sauder)
View attachment 76288

No. 3 Funnel: missing and not sure of the location, but the pipes are on the forward tower which is southeast of the Bow

No. 4 Funnel remains
whistles, 1985 WHOI
View attachment 76289

Fourth Funnel pipes, 1985 WHOI
View attachment 76290

and the Fourth Funnel base, which is still connected to the roofing that held the Fourth Funnel, or at least did in 1985
1985 WHOI
View attachment 76291

I am still not sure of where the Third Funnel is, but I hope to find it and add to this thread
Addendum, the fourth funnel base lies not very far from the exposed part of the Engine Room, but the Second Class Purser's safe is closer to the engines

Third Funnel remains:

(NOAA 2003)
Pipes, with White Star Buff clearly visible
1619703850836.png

Its better seen here, and you can see corroded beams and support structures of those on the Funnels
1619703899464.png

More corroded Funnel remains, and the white water pipes remains
1619704049068.png

(Olympic, unsure of the date)
1619704112793.png

1619704095084.png

the pipes that go into the tankroom/Engineer's Mess are still there, Although on the aft tower
(RMST Inc 2010)
1619704251182.png

Now we have all the funnels located, I think

Attachments

• 1619704308462.png
    1619704308462.png
    171.5 KB · Views: 224
Third Funnel remains:

(NOAA 2003)
Pipes, with White Star Buff clearly visible
View attachment 76472

Its better seen here, and you can see corroded beams and support structures of those on the Funnels
View attachment 76473

More corroded Funnel remains, and the white water pipes remains
View attachment 76474

(Olympic, unsure of the date)
View attachment 76476

View attachment 76475

the pipes that go into the tankroom/Engineer's Mess are still there, Although on the aft tower
(RMST Inc 2010)
View attachment 76477

Now we have all the funnels located, I think
I like the pics. But I'm not seeing what your seeing. Looks like silt to me. Could be the monitor.

Honestly, I am surprised that people even thought she was on the ocean floor intact
That's with the benefit of having the wreck located, photographed and forensically analysed.

Indeed, many of those who searched for and found the wreck (including Dr Ballard) were gobsmacked to find the ship had broken in two, they genuinely thought they would find it in one piece.

In 1912 H&W themselves were highly sceptical that the ship had broken in two. Then you had the most prominent survivors such as Lightoller and Gracie firmly insisting that the ship had gone down whole.

A tally done by Dr Paul Lee shows that the majority of survivors questioned on the subject in 1912 were actually unsure or non-committal about whether the ship broke in two. As Dr Lee says, a lot of people forget how pitch black the night was and the ship was not half as brightly lit as the '97 film portrays it as.

Nobody in their right mind today would argue that the ship went down whole but had the wreck never been found, we'd probably all believe it was still down there somewhere in one piece.

That's with the benefit of having the wreck located, photographed and forensically analysed.

Indeed, many of those who searched for and found the wreck (including Dr Ballard) were gobsmacked to find the ship had broken in two, they genuinely thought they would find it in one piece.

In 1912 H&W themselves were highly sceptical that the ship had broken in two. Then you had the most prominent survivors such as Lightoller and Gracie firmly insisting that the ship had gone down whole.

A tally done by Dr Paul Lee shows that the majority of survivors questioned on the subject in 1912 were actually unsure or non-committal about whether the ship broke in two. As Dr Lee says, a lot of people forget how pitch black the night was and the ship was not half as brightly lit as the '97 film portrays it as.

Nobody in their right mind today would argue that the ship went down whole but had the wreck never been found, we'd probably all believe it was still down there somewhere in one piece.
H&W still doesn't, funnily enough.

I know this is a old thread but here's a photo that was taken when Robert Ballard was taking 35mm photos of the debris field to prove he had found tge Titanic back in 1985, I took this photo while watching a 2002 documentary called Titanic 90 years Below.

Attachments

• 20220511_184618.jpg
    20220511_184618.jpg
    670.7 KB · Views: 366
I know this is a old thread but here's a photo that was taken when Robert Ballard was taking 35mm photos of the debris field to prove he had found tge Titanic back in 1985, I took this photo while watching a 2002 documentary called Titanic 90 years Below.
That is not one of the funnels.

I understand why at a glance it may look like one, but it's an optical illusion. It's far too small to be one of the funnels, and if you look closely you'll see that the lighter coloured area is also out of alignment with the darker coloured area. It looks more like a door or a large panel.

The funnels would have been bashed and crumpled when they landed on the ocean floor. They subsequently disintegrated. Only a few pieces of badly damaged funnel "skin" have been found to date.

That is not one of the funnels.

I understand why at a glance it may look like one, but it's an optical illusion. It's far too small to be one of the funnels, and if you look closely you'll see that the lighter coloured area is also out of alignment with the darker coloured area. It looks more like a door or a large panel.

The funnels would have been bashed and crumpled when they landed on the ocean floor. They subsequently disintegrated. Only a few pieces of badly damaged funnel "skin" have been found to date.
Yeah I see what you're saying, that's just a shadow above it that makes it look like black paint.. So yeah probably a door.

Back