Help with unlisted passengers and Crew

WE FOUND YOUR VERY INFORMITIVE AND HELPFULL TOWARDS OUR ENDLESS STUGGLE IN TRYING TO SEEK INFORMATION ON A POSSIBLE RELATIVE WHO MAY HAVE SERVED AS A POSSIBLE TRADESMAN ON TITANIC'S MAIDEN VOYAGE. THIS POSSIBLE TRADESMAN MAY HAVE FORMED PART OF A UNLISTED HARLEM & WOLFE EMPLOYEE. THE POSSIBLE SURNAMES MAY BE Mc KIM/ WILSON/ CRAIG ,ROBERTSON FROM BELFAST.

GORDON CRAIG & SON
HELENSBURGH, SCOTLAND

Is there any information about African American passengers or crew on the Titanic? Is there any information about unlisted passenger/nanny, Josephine Johnson - specifically her racial background? Thanks!

Melanie Hofmann
Albany, CA

My Grandmother and her family were supposed to be on the Titanic but on the way to the boat, the wheel on their wagon fell off and they missed the boat. Their names were supposed to be on the log but I cannot find them. Why is that? Is it because they never actually set foot on the boat? My Grandfather received word by wire that he had lost his wife and family...not knowing that they missed the boat.

A friend of mine said that their aunt was on the Titanic. I'm a bit reluctant as she said she wasn't on the manifest, as many people weren't, and her aunt is now dead, but have any of you heard anything about a last name "Pinsly"?

Hello Matthew,

There was a Mrs Rosa Pinsky travelling 2nd Class. Might she be the lady you are asking about? - You can view her: Person Summary and Biography by typing her name in the "Find Titanic Passengers and Crew" box on the opening page of this web-site.

Matthew, I don't think you're going to find any "unlisted" passengers, hypothetical stowaways notwithstanding. Immigration authorities don't take very kindly to anything short of complete and accurate documentation of every person aboard which is why great effort os made to document everybody. The passenger/crew lists here on ET are the most thoroughly researched you're likely to find anywhere and are all drawn from the primary source materials. If this person isn't listed, then I'm sorry to say that she wasn't there.

Matthew,

As noted by Micheal you are not going to find any "unlisted" passengers.
When you say: "as many people weren't"; that is simply not correct. All passengers and crew have been identified and accounted for.

What you could do is find out from your friend what her aunt's name was in April 1912, go to www.ellisislandrecords.org and type in the name. That should tell you if the lady arrived in NY and when.

Hello Christina,

Good suggestion, but I have already suggested Rosa Pinsky and Matthew has rejected that [see his post of 4 October]:
"no, I know it isn't Pinsky, it was an UNLISTED passenger. Also, her aunt was a missioinary coming home from china."

Oh, sorry Lester, I didn't realise. Still, Pinsky is a very unusual name and the Ellis Island website seems like a very good reference point for all folks arriving in the US. I'm looking for my own family embarking there so it's useful.
Christina

Hello Christina,

No apology needed. - Matthew actually asked about Pinsly. It was my idea that that might have been a typo for Pinsky. Clearly not so!

Lots of luck with your own family search.

And we know how accurate those clerks at Ellis Island were with the spelling of people's names. I work for the Historical Research Center which deals with onomastics (family name origins) and we've found lots of corrupted names due to clerical error.

Kyrila
(whose maiden name should have been Weldon instead of Wendeln - clerical error at the island.)

>>And we know how accurate those clerks at Ellis Island were with the spelling of people's names.<<

With the multitudes they had to process through, it's a wonder they managed as well as they did. Having a boatload of people sink on you with 2/3rds rendered permanently unavailable to make corrections doesn't help there or in the investigation that follows.

Back