Help with unlisted passengers and Crew

Hello,
My question may seem a little odd, and I'm not sure if this is the right area but I will go ahead and post it here and someone can tell me if it's incorrect.
Anyways, it is a family legend that my great grandparents were supposed to come to America from England on the Titanic, thought they did not arrive in America until 1914 or 1915. I would like to either verify or refute this legend, but I have no idea where to start, as both individuals as well as their daughter (my grandmother, also born in England) are all deceased. The only word I have on this is my father, and I would really like to know so I can either pass it on as myth or fact to my children.
Many thanks,
Kayti Butts-Reed

Kathryn, the only records extant are essentially those of who actually sailed on the Titanic and to my knowladge, no effort was made to keep any sort of track of the no-shows. If they crossed over in the 1914 to 1915 timeframe,there's no way they did it on this ship.

They may well have purchased a ticket, but if they did, the information is probably lost to history.

The rules were changed after the Titanic catastrophe, but the changes were not retroactive. During the Titanic sinking there were several passengers and crew who were not able to get a ticket or be registered. There is no indication that the White Star line was dishonest in the way they sold tickets, nor that they made an attempt to keep anyone off the ship. It was a horrendous disaster, and even if the White Star Line had done it, would it have helped? The Titanic was designed to stay afloat with as many as four of its watertight compartments flooded. The ship and its passengers were lost because the ship sank in less than three hours and the watertight compartments in the first four compartments were breached. In the end, the White Star Line was found not to be responsible for the sinking.

Back