Her Name, Titanic

Hello Arun. Just an interesting tidbit I ran across a minute ago looking up stuff. Seems not only your book had that problem but back in the day they got stuff wrong with the wrong owners too.

• At Cobh, he helped load aboard a large quantity of gold and silver bars aboard. This has been looked into many times by Titanic historians and nothing has ever turned up. In 2012 the Bank of England released it's archive material on the Titanic. There was nothing about any bullion.
  • Prentice claimed that he saw the first two lifeboats lowered incompetently which resulted in them spilling all their occupants into the sea to their deaths. This simply did not happen. Boats No 7 & No. 5 on the starboard side made it safely down and so did No. 6 and No. 8 on the port side.
  • That he was over four hours in the water. Nonsense. From reading the testimony of those aboard boat No. 4 who pulled Prentice from the sea, he was hauled in not long after the ship went down. He was probably only in the water about ten or fifteen minutes at most.
Thanks Seumas. It is decent of you to try to be polite is dismissing those ridiculous statements. I can only think that the good old major's brain must have been more than slightly scrambled when he made those statements. Gold bullion? Overturned lifeboats spilling people into the sea? Was he thinking of the Lusitania on which he was not even on board?

Thanks Seumas. It is decent of you to try to be polite is dismissing those ridiculous statements. I can only think that the good old major's brain must have been more than slightly scrambled when he made those statements. Gold bullion? Overturned lifeboats spilling people into the sea? Was he thinking of the Lusitania on which he was not even on board?
Lord knows what he was upto. The only thing I can think of was that maybe he wanted to give them a more exciting story or something like that. If his deposition ever turns up then we'll know what he really saw.

Prentice's post-Titanic career is quite an interesting one.

He left the sea to join the British Army in WW1 where he was commissioned from the ranks and was decorated for leading a tank attack on foot. So we have an undoubtedly brave man capable of leadership.

After the war he returned to work on White Star ships as a steward's storekeeper. He leaves the sea again at some point in either the twenties or the thirties as by 1939 he is listed in the I.D card register of England & Wales as being a car salesman in Bournemouth.

As I say the part of his story I find so perplexing is why he told two very accounts of how Cyril Ricks met his end. Strange.

In TV interviews recorded just before he died, one can see that death of Ricks (who clearly had been a close friend) was still a painful memory for Prentice and he was trying hard to hold back the tears.

I wonder if perhaps he felt a kind of guilt about leaving Ricks behind when he realised there was nothing he (Prentice) could do to help him and time was running out to save his own life ?

He left the sea to join the British Army in WW1 where he was commissioned from the ranks and was decorated for leading a tank attack on foot. So we have an undoubtedly brave man capable of leadership.
Agreed, but courage and honesty and two completely different virtues and do not always go hand-in-hand. Charles Lightoller proved himself brave with his actions during the Dunkirk evacuations in 1940 but that does not change the fact that he made several ambiguous statements and told at least a few lies during the Titanic post-disaster inquiries. He might have had reasons for covering up certain things but fact remains that he did so.

Oh thats not my book. I grabbed that pic off the Ebay page that was advertising it. I don't have any of Pellegrino's books. I've only read excerpts from his books. I never bought any because of all the bru ha ha that people wrote about his books. It's why I have refrained from commenting on his stuff other than pointing out what others have said because you can't trash somebodies work if you haven't read it. But I did read some of the comments/reviews from other readers and they pretty much aligned with what you said. As for Ebay I recently canceled my account with them. They pissed me off so no yankee dollars from me anymore...:cool:
I wouldn't buy into any of the nonsense and highly recommend Pellegrino's books. "Farewell, Titanic" may be a good one for you, since he was adamant about including a sources list (I actually advised against it, preferring for a longer book, but he shortened it in order to include a thorough list). He ended up removing some Violet Jessop content and published a stand-alone chapter as "The Californian Incident" separately from the original draft, instead, to make room for the list.

It's also his highest rated Titanic book, presumably for this reason, although Pellegrino has provided sources for other claims in the past. I admire the desire to refrain from bashing works one hasn't read, although why do so at all, IMO.

That said, one can never blame the authors for such errors.

As for books I am reading - I happen to have two copies of "Report Into the Loss" by a certain someone here, one to keep fresh and one to read ;) And I am loving it.

As for books I am reading - I happen to have a two copies of "Report Into the Loss" by a certain someone here, one to keep fresh and one to read ;) And I am loving it.
Brilliant piece of work. I like to read its contents slowly and mull over to digest the meaning. pp118-119 (of the hardcover) for example explains the reason for the sudden 'lurch' towards the end and also the mechanism of the low-angle break. The Fig 6-28 graph is very illustrative and explanatory.

I wouldn't buy into any of the nonsense and highly recommend Pellegrino's books. "Farewell, Titanic" may be a good one for you, since he was adamant about including a sources list (I actually advised against it, preferring for a longer book, but he shortened it in order to include a thorough list). He ended up removing some Violet Jessop content and published a stand-alone chapter as "The Californian Incident" separately from the original draft, instead, to make room for the list.

It's also his highest rated Titanic book, presumably for this reason, although Pellegrino has provided sources for other claims in the past. I admire the desire to refrain from bashing works one hasn't read, although why do so at all, IMO.

That said, one can never blame the authors for such errors.

As for books I am reading - I happen to have two copies of "Report Into the Loss" by a certain someone here, one to keep fresh and one to read ;) And I am loving it.
Agreed, his books are right up there with works like sam’s, George Behe’s, and more :)

Brilliant piece of work. I like to read its contents slowly and mull over to digest the meaning. pp118-119 (of the hardcover) for example explains the reason for the sudden 'lurch' towards the end and also the mechanism of the low-angle break. The Fig 6-28 graph is very illustrative and explanatory.
I am the same way. I believe the break occurred at 25 degrees or so, but have not yet read Samuel’s analysis in the book. Will be interesting to see that perspective.

Report Into the Loss was bashed by someone who never went beyond reading the cover. Why? Because the title has, "Report Into the Loss of the SS Titanic" and said person, a self proclaimed know it all, said that the ship's official name was RMS Titanic, not SS Titanic. Said person was unaware, nor did he care to know, that period publications, including the official inquiry reports, had referred to the ship as 'the “Titanic” (S.S.)' [in the British report], and 'S. S. “TITANIC.”' [in the American report].

But bashing books, articles, even documentaries, without the person actually reading or seeing it, seems to be more common than most people realize. You see this on FB almost every day, not to mention on this forum on occasion as well.

I believe the break occurred at 25 degrees or so, but have not yet read Samuel’s analysis in the book.
Sam explains very clearly the reasons for the low angle break. It is in fact, simple in terms of reasoning. Look at the graph (Fig 6-28, p119) that calculates the stress on the keel (Bending effect) against the ships angle of trim. The maximum stress would be at around 12 degrees. Sam's analogy of the baseball bat to understand this is also very apt.

I tried Sam's experiment with a 5-foot curtain rod made out of heavy duty but flexible plastic. Holding it horizontally in my fist caused quite a lot of discomfort as well as a down-bend of the rod itself. When I raised the free end of the rod, both the pain in my wrist and the bend on the rod increased till about 15 degrees, after which they steadily diminished and disappeared when the rod became vertical.

Sam also did an article about the subject: Why A Low Angle Break?

Last edited:
Report Into the Loss was bashed by someone who never went beyond reading the cover. Why? Because the title has, "Report Into the Loss of the SS Titanic" and said person, a self proclaimed know it all, said that the ship's official name was RMS Titanic, not SS Titanic. Said person was unaware, nor did he care to know, that period publications, including the official inquiry reports, had referred to the ship as 'the “Titanic” (S.S.)' [in the British report], and 'S. S. “TITANIC.”' [in the American report].

But bashing books, articles, even documentaries, without the person actually reading or seeing it, seems to be more common than most people realize. You see this on FB almost every day, not to mention on this forum on occasion as well.
I saw that, and chuckled. It's almost as terrible as individuals who leave 1-star reviews because Amazon sent them an item damaged in the mail. Shame on the author for not being present night and day at the printers to personally ensure each order was fulfilled to maximum quality. Nevermind that "SS Titanic" was written on the plaques of all the lifeboats, and is equally valid. I'll never understand people that scour entire tomes of well-researched and original material for typos and trivia and miss the entire point and effort of the volume in an attempt to discredit it. I have witnessed this time and again with Dr. Pellegrino's books, overlooking downblast theory, his peer-reviewed research with Roy Cullimore and entire file of records from Walter Lord, in favor of petty nonsense. For example, a reviewer accused Pellegrino of claiming he had sailed with Ballard on the Titanic discovery mission and being a liar, when in fact, Pellegrino's book explicitly states he sailed with Ballard after he discovered Titanic, to the East Pacific Rise on the Melville, a completely different expedition, different ship, and different ocean basin.

One really must be dense to miss that. And yet, a certain NYT reviewer did. All of this behavior is toxic to the community.

"One really must be dense to miss that. And yet, a certain NYT reviewer did. All of this behavior is toxic to the community."

I can believe that. The once great paper of record has fallen to kitty litter box liner status. Gone are the days when their motto was "If your mother tells you she loves you, get a second source".

Back